Do you think there will be 72 EFL clubs at the end of the season?

ziggyram59

With the coronavirus pandemic getting worse and the chances of fans returning to games getting more remote, how long can some EFL clubs before they go out of business? because at the rate were going I will be very surprised if all 72 clubs complete the season. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

With the coronavirus pandemic getting worse and the chances of fans returning to games getting more remote, how long can some EFL clubs before they go out of business? because at the rate were going I will be very surprised if all 72 clubs complete the season. 

I fear you're right, I'd guess anywhere between three and ten just fold with quite a few more in peril.

Where there is a good local fan base most of the ones that go bust will find a way to come back. As hopefully happens to our local pub. But it will be a long process. A big danger is developers who want to build flats on the grounds. But local planners and restrictive covenants will stop that in many cases.

Crowdfunding could play a big part in helping them revive...  

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not in next 2/3 years - gambling act review coming up in next few weeks and months, massive pushback on advertising and sports sponsorship around it.

Can see some clubs will struggle without that sort of revenue, however you feel about it all. 

Archived