Brentford or Fulham ?

Malagaram

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's logical that some of the teams on parachute payments will be in and around the playoffs - they came down with stronger squads than the rest of the league. If they're well run, they'll be able to hold on to those players. There's also typically 8 clubs on parachute payments each year... a bad year will see only 2 of those on the top 6. The poorly run clubs end up struggling, with Sunderland a classic example.

The average finishing position for teams in the first season after relegation (since we came down) is 9th. Only once have all three finished in the top 6 (11/12, Birmingham, Blackpool, West Ham), and only 3 more occasions where all teams have finished in the top half. 16 top six finishes from the 12 seasons.

Whilst in receipt of parachute payments, there have only been 14 promotions. Meanwhile, Portsmouth found themselves relegated to L2, Wolves, Wigan and Sunderland spent time in L1.

Number of teams in top 6:
19/20 - 4
18/19 - 2
17/18 - 2
16/17 - 2
15/16 - 2
14/15 - 1
13/14 - 2
12/13 - 1
11/12 - 3
10/11 - 1
09/10 - 2
08/09 - 4

I don't think that says the "top 6 are dominated by parachute teams every year".

post covid the affect of the parachute payments is amplified as income from other sources diminishes.  The overall impact is for the whole period that they are in receipt of money that is denied the rest of the league and, as you say, as long as they are well run the money is an incredible assistance even if it only enables them to retain the higher quality players that the rest of us couldn't afford

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Spanish said:

post covid the affect of the parachute payments is amplified as income from other sources diminishes.  The overall impact is for the whole period that they are in receipt of money that is denied the rest of the league and, as you say, as long as they are well run the money is an incredible assistance even if it only enables them to retain the higher quality players that the rest of us couldn't afford

I thought the size of the parachute payments being handed out are to be slashed as a result of covid? At least for the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons anyway

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought the size of the parachute payments being handed out are to be slashed as a result of covid? At least for the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons anyway

seems odd really but I take your word for it

Archived