Brentford or Fulham ?

Malagaram

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy Fulham got promoted for purely selfish reasons. I feel bad for the Brentford fans, but this loss is going to impact them much more than it would've Fulham at least in the short term. 

Brentford have one of the lower wage bills in the division. They're a small club already, punching above their weight, their revenue streams are extremely low. I think they're less than half of ours, for example, so now their players have been able to put themselves in the spotlight. It's going to be hard for them to keep their best players and keep them happy. They won't even collect the £1m in ticket sales due to Covid. 

Fulham on the other hand would've still be able to collect a big parachute payment, plus they have one of the richest owners in the entirety of sports - tied 3rd in the NFL - with a personal fortune of around $8.5bn. In comparison, Matthew Benham - the owner of Brentford - has an unknown net worth. I'd imagine it's in the millions, more than likely not even in the XXXs of millions too. 

It's terrible for the Brentford fans, but their approach hasn't stopped them from being competitive in this league. I imagine they will still be a tough team to play next season, albeit with a very different side. Brentford players, the ones who will stick around on their relatively low salary, have no one to blame. They played themselves into the unlikely position where promotion was within their hands with TWO games of the season left. They've lost 4 in their last 5 games. Outrageous lack of bottle. 

They've even lost out on the EFL Championship Bottlers of the Year award as Forest did such a fine job of ensuring they at least got that trophy this season. Brentford, in a slightly depressing fashion, got stage fright when it mattered most. 

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Two out off three teams promoted again with the assistance of huge parachute payments - level playing field I don’t think so and we get accused of fiddling the books trying to spend less than them - only in football crazy town 

Brentford were the only team in the playoffs without parachute payments as well. 4 of the top 6 on parachutes and next year we're competing against 7 teams who have parachute payments. In a way its good that two get promoted every year otherwise we'd be facing half a league of them.

25 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Brentford were the only team in the playoffs without parachute payments as well. 4 of the top 6 on parachutes and next year we're competing against 7 teams who have parachute payments. In a way its good that two get promoted every year otherwise we'd be facing half a league of them.

Bad bit is the yoyo teams get stronger if they play their cards right.  Unless we get into this group soon it will be too late as long as the riches stay in the prem

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

So half the league want Sheffield Wednesday fined docked points or relegated as well as Derby because a rich owner wants to put money into the football team whilst clubs with parachute payments get to dominate the league time and time again. Whilst I cannot stand Leeds I have to give them credit for doing it the hard way as did Sheffield United last season, it seems we are averaging one team to the premiership per season it seems who do it the hard way. Maybe the league could limit the amount of teams promoted to the premiership to just one per season who are accepting parachute payments! 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

So half the league want Sheffield Wednesday fined docked points or relegated as well as Derby because a rich owner wants to put money into the football team whilst clubs with parachute payments get to dominate the league time and time again. Whilst I cannot stand Leeds I have to give them credit for doing it the hard way as did Sheffield United last season, it seems we are averaging one team to the premiership per season it seems who do it the hard way. Maybe the league could limit the amount of teams promoted to the premiership to just one per season who are accepting parachute payments! 

Won’t be long before there’s a premier league 2. Two 18 team divisions. Can see it happening before the end of the decade 

52 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Won’t be long before there’s a premier league 2. Two 18 team divisions. Can see it happening before the end of the decade 

Now is the time as it will take all the big clubs bar Sunderland and if they want to sell TV packages then they would have a better market because no one is interested in Burnley vs Crystal Palace in the premiership bar those fans.

i would buy a package just for the league my team is in but I will not if all I hear about top four perceived football clubs 

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Agreed and if we are not a yo-yo team by then the challenge to get in EPL2 may be beyond us

4 hours ago, Spanish said:

Bad bit is the yoyo teams get stronger if they play their cards right.  Unless we get into this group soon it will be too late as long as the riches stay in the prem

I know we've got Rooney on high wages, but imagine having multiple players on £50k+ per week and not having to worry about it! 

We are basically competing for one spot most years and we have to do it whilst being hamstrung by the EFL. Unless you do a Leeds and get a world class manager to come in or a Wolves and find a way around FFP its going to be very, very difficult for us to break into that top group.

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

The only reason i wanted Brentford to go up was the lack of parachutes. I'm glad Leeds managed to do it as well. When we lost to Villa my Villa supporting mate kept bragging about how they destroyed us, but my response was always that with such a huge financial advantage it would have been downright embarrassing if they'd done anything less. He didn't think parachutes gave them any advantages though...

Brentford will get stripped of all this seasons starts which makes them much weaker next season. It’s going to be a poor league next year......could we do it????

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Reports already circulating that Watkins available for 18m and villa sniffing round both him and behnrama. Brentford could be wealthy but weaker up front as their BMW becomes an M.....?

They could buy Lawrence, Assombalonga, Diédhiou and Ayew and play a LADA. 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Brentford will get stripped of all this seasons starts which makes them much weaker next season. It’s going to be a poor league next year......could we do it????

I wouldn’t be surprised if we did a Norwich, we build on this year’s foundations,  everything comes together and we win the league 

On 04/08/2020 at 22:53, Sparkle said:

Two out off three teams promoted again with the assistance of huge parachute payments - level playing field I don’t think so and we get accused of fiddling the books trying to spend less than them - only in football crazy town 

Sunderland, Stoke, Huddersfield. 

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sunderland, Stoke, Huddersfield. 

What is your point? Just because Huddersfield and Stoke have had a poor year doesn't mean they will again next year.

It also doesn't change the fact that the promotion places and top 6 are dominated by parachute teams every year - it isn't a level playing field.

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

What is your point? Just because Huddersfield and Stoke have had a poor year doesn't mean they will again next year.

It also doesn't change the fact that the promotion places and top 6 are dominated by parachute teams every year - it isn't a level playing field.

It's logical that some of the teams on parachute payments will be in and around the playoffs - they came down with stronger squads than the rest of the league. If they're well run, they'll be able to hold on to those players. There's also typically 8 clubs on parachute payments each year... a bad year will see only 2 of those on the top 6. The poorly run clubs end up struggling, with Sunderland a classic example.

The average finishing position for teams in the first season after relegation (since we came down) is 9th. Only once have all three finished in the top 6 (11/12, Birmingham, Blackpool, West Ham), and only 3 more occasions where all teams have finished in the top half. 16 top six finishes from the 12 seasons.

Whilst in receipt of parachute payments, there have only been 14 promotions. Meanwhile, Portsmouth found themselves relegated to L2, Wolves, Wigan and Sunderland spent time in L1.

Number of teams in top 6:
19/20 - 4
18/19 - 2
17/18 - 2
16/17 - 2
15/16 - 2
14/15 - 1
13/14 - 2
12/13 - 1
11/12 - 3
10/11 - 1
09/10 - 2
08/09 - 4

I don't think that says the "top 6 are dominated by parachute teams every year".

Archived