The Rams Ladder: Ranking Derby's squad by importance

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Most important" in what way? The season so far, the next 9 games, next season..?

There's not much between Roos and Hamer so I can understand them both being so low. Malone (3rd choice LB), along with Evans, Huddlestone, and Jozefzoon are some way down the pecking order in their positions. I'd probably put these below the two keepers though. Clarke and Davies shouldn't be that far down. Out most used CB partnership and current first choice CB below squad players such as Marriott, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker? Nah not a chance right now.

Sibley and Knight certainly aren't more important than Holmes and Lawrence at the moment. Lawrence is easily our most important winger - no one comes close! Knight and Sibley currently don't get in to a fully fit midfield over Bird, Rooney and Holmes. Derby's good form since Christmas wasn't just because of Rooney. It was noticeable after Holmes came off against Huddersfield how our performances suddenly dropped, and results with it.

It's debatable whether Bogle should be as high as well, due to having very capable backup in Wisdom. In fact, you could argue Wisdom should be higher due to being 1st choice CB at the moment and offering high quality cover at RB.

My order would probably be: Rooney, Bird, Lawrence, Holmes. Waghorn, Martin, Wisdom, Bogle, Clarke, Lowe, Forsyth, Bielik, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley, Marriott, Davies, Whittaker, Roos, Hamer, Evans, Jozefzoon, Huddlestone, Malone

'Most important', as in the next 9 games and beyond, depending on age, potential, influence, value, competition for their place etc.

Clarke was low because I think there's barely any chance he'll be here next season - he joined Brighton for around £3m and I can't see us stumping up that for him. Davies is a model pro and great guy by all accounts, but at 35 I'm not sure he'll appear much this season and suspect hell get even less gametime next year.

Sibley and Knight are high because of their importance now, and potential for the future (especially with the whole 50% academy quota thing). Maybe we did get a bit carried away after his Blackburn goal!

Bogle's much higher up that Wisdom because of his value, potential to improve and attacking ability. We do acknowledge there's plenty of room for improvement defensively.

End of the day, it's an opinion piece. We're gonna do another one in a few months and analyse if anyone is worthy of moving up/down.

1 Rooney    2 Martin  then the rest                                                                                                                                                     

It’s a huge question. Another way might be saying select your best match 11 and whose loss would be the greatest either because they are critical or because there isn’t a replacement close to them in ability and influence.

Right now at CB we are a bit vulnerable so any of Clarke Wisdom or Curtiss would leave us very exposed .. Tiweirk to come in next year, Evans on the mend helps, but for me it’s the engine room of Rooney, Knight, Holmes. While Duane has been injured my heart has been in my mouth in case we lose either Wayne or Jason. Sibley arriving helps this situation but that trio are our insurance policy. They link, they make it happen. If they work then the team will. They are the key. 

Lawrence if he is firing is very important, but if he isn’t then it’s meh. Marriott with the glass groin .. it’s sad, but we have coped. I can’t figure the RB/LB thing. We have choices but I don’t have the in depth knowledge of opponents to say which one is most valuable against which opponent.

CM and Waggy .. different players and this isn’t another CM thread, they do different things, you’d miss them (or not) depending on who we play. 

I don’t think it serves to list 11 key players, it’s just surmise at that level 

Rooney, Bielik, Bird, Bogle, Lowe Sibley, Knight and Whittaker. These are your most important players as these are not only the future but where the value will be. 

Rooney the future? No, but his guidance over the next year is priceless. 

4 hours ago, David said:

Rooney, Bielik, Bird, Bogle, Lowe Sibley, Knight and Whittaker. These are your most important players as these are not only the future but where the value will be. 

Rooney the future? No, but his guidance over the next year is priceless. 

I honestly believe Bird in particular has had his break sooner than he might have had and is way better than he might have been, simply because of Rooney’s presence. What he is giving to the team, particularly Knight, Sibley Whittaker Lowe, Bogle, Bird is of inestimable value far far far beyond any on pitch performance.  Kid, championship academy and you have Wayne playing along side you ? As you say David, priceless....  it could have gone any way but as it turned out it looks like Wayne has a gift with the young ones .. it’s great. I am full of optimism, best thing for years. 

Archived