Rams v Arsenal 1972

Geriatram

This is the latest match on Rams tv, and what a match it was,we won 5- 0. But it was also the day I did one of the most embarrassing and shameful things in my time as a Rams fan. I was waiting at a bus stop on Harvey road for a bus to take me to the Osmaston Park hotel for a pre match pint,the traffic was bumper to bumper,I could see this deluxe coach coming slowly towards me and realized it was the Arsenal team coach. Not being an Arsenal fan I put on the best scowl I could, Bob Wilson smiled at me as he went slowly by, only for the traffic to stop,leaving me eyeball to eyeball with the player I disliked the most in all of football Charlie George. So I did what any self respecting Derby fan would do, I gave him the V sign and mouthed the words F--- off,but the thing is I didn't swear normally I still don't.Charlie looked at me as if to say what a plonker,fortunately the coach started to move and my bus was behind it. I immediately regretted  what I did and have regretted it ever since. As you might guess Charlie became one of my all time favorite players perhaps second only to  Kevin. To this day I still cringe when I think about it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was a year or two earlier....Todd’s debut? Or was he sat on the bench next to cloughie I can’t remember......our car pulled up alongside the Arsenal coach as they were leaving. Bob Wilson had been kicked in the head during the game and was holding his head in pain. Charlie was sat behind him eating the biggest footing bag of crisps I’ve ever seen. 

He became one of my favourite ever players too. 
he got injured too young. 
I have begun to to think that that crap pitch injured a lot of players.

nish, McFarland, Hennessy, Carlin, george, Powell, and newton to name but a few. 

21 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think it was a year or two earlier....Todd’s debut? Or was he sat on the bench next to cloughie I can’t remember......our car pulled up alongside the Arsenal coach as they were leaving. Bob Wilson had been kicked in the head during the game and was holding his head in pain. Charlie was sat behind him eating the biggest footing bag of crisps I’ve ever seen. 

He became one of my favourite ever players too. 
he got injured too young. 
I have begun to to think that that crap pitch injured a lot of players.

nish, McFarland, Hennessy, Carlin, george, Powell, and newton to name but a few. 

Wasn't  Roy injured playing for England @RamNut? And Charlie's injury was all about Dennis Smith and nothing to do with the BBG pitch.

3 hours ago, Geriatram said:

This is the latest match on Rams tv, and what a match it was,we won 5- 0. But it was also the day I did one of the most embarrassing and shameful things in my time as a Rams fan. I was waiting at a bus stop on Harvey road for a bus to take me to the Osmaston Park hotel for a pre match pint,the traffic was bumper to bumper,I could see this deluxe coach coming slowly towards me and realized it was the Arsenal team coach. Not being an Arsenal fan I put on the best scowl I could, Bob Wilson smiled at me as he went slowly by, only for the traffic to stop,leaving me eyeball to eyeball with the player I disliked the most in all of football Charlie George. So I did what any self respecting Derby fan would do, I gave him the V sign and mouthed the words F--- off,but the thing is I didn't swear normally I still don't.Charlie looked at me as if to say what a plonker,fortunately the coach started to move and my bus was behind it. I immediately regretted  what I did and have regretted it ever since. As you might guess Charlie became one of my all time favorite players perhaps second only to  Kevin. To this day I still cringe when I think about it.

You should be ashamed of yourself for not bricking the bus tbf.

How good was Gladys in that period. Pinpoint and the best left winger to play for Mr Clough ?

And when is the Tottenham 8 - 2 going up. Will have to get a bit of Popside crush barrier  to stick in my midriff to play along with that one.

My memory dims, but was Bob Wilson not from Chesterfield ? Just saying ?

8 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Wasn't  Roy injured playing for England @RamNut? And Charlie's injury was all about Dennis Smith and nothing to do with the BBG pitch.

McFarland had a bad groin injury before that. And After the Achilles he seemed to have one injury after another.

Charlie did his knee at Anfield but I just think our pitch took a heavy toll. 

52 minutes ago, popside ossie end popside said:

Don't get me onto Dennis Smith!!  Him and fur*ing Gordon Hill  scarred a young mans life they did in '76

I raise you Jack Taylor for disallowing a perfectly good goal.

3 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

I raise you Jack Taylor for disallowing a perfectly good goal.

Probably take the pot with that raise.   Playing really well at that stage of game, would have fetched it back to 2-1 and that young Man Utd team were wobbling

Took some getting over that, as Wembley finals back then were incredible affairs, and team went on a downward spiral for years

Archived