Banning kids heading footballs!

Mostyn6

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51614088

so we will be even worse at defending set pieces in the future.

Will we, though?

How much heading do U12s do? I can't imagine its top of the training drill priority chart at that age. And kids will still practice at home etc.

I also doubt by the time kids hit the "limited" guidelines that increase over time as they age up to 16 are actually going to effect things that much. I don't ever remember doing a particularly notable amount. It's a really low priority element of youth training in my observations (not wishing to put that forward as fact - maybe someone with <14 year olds playing somewhere could enlighten regarding the prevelance of heading in training currently?); all this is doing is enforcing that low priority as far as I can tell.

I think the one session a week of ten headers for 14/15 year olds is a little low; I'd probably have gone for 2 a week at that number - just to space them out. But again I don't think it'll make a huge difference at the limits at younger levels seem about right.

7 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I'd be interested to see an experiment in a few matches where heading was banned. I don't think the quality of the game would be reduced by much, and may even be improved. 

I'd predict that players who sit on the shoulders of defenders would double in value; as would particularly fast defenders, then most teams would probably adopt incredibly deep defensive lines to prevent balls over the top entirely, at which point players who sit on the shoulders of defenders would collapse into obscurity. 

Crosses would usually be blocked too; or would go over everyone/be claimed by the keeper. All corners would either be "training ground routines" or claimed by the keeper. Any that weren't claimed would turn into a non-league scrap at every level ? 

On 24/02/2020 at 16:07, therealhantsram said:

I'd be interested to see an experiment in a few matches where heading was banned. I don't think the quality of the game would be reduced by much, and may even be improved. 

No better finish to see than a diving header, I would miss those ?

Archived