The Politics Thread 2020

6 minutes ago, cstand said:

Luther Blissett been doing it for years and helping all young people because all lives matter not because it has suddenly become fashionable 

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/65635/football-stars-set-up-team-48

https://www.enfieldindependent.co.uk/news/9722315.barnet-and-southgate-college-students-helping-football-star-luther-blissett-in-motor-racing-bid/

Luther retired years back so probably has a bit more time on his hands than a current 6 time WDC. And people are not now getting involved with BLM and other initiatives because it's fashionable, they are doing so because recent events have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Put simply, folk have had enough. It's a shame that you appear unable or unwilling to understand that and instead prefer to write off peoples' actions as merely wanting to look 'fashionable'.

Irrespective of timing, doing something positive is always preferable to doing nothing, or worse still, criticising those trying to effect change.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Luther retired years back so probably has a bit more time on his hands than a current 6 time WDC. And people are not now getting involved with BLM and other initiatives because it's fashionable, they are doing so because recent events have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Put simply, folk have had enough. It's a shame that you appear unable or unwilling to understand that and instead prefer to write off peoples' actions as merely wanting to look 'fashionable'.

Irrespective of timing, doing something positive is always preferable to doing nothing, or worse still, criticising those trying to effect change.

No excuse being late to the party.

Also Blissett got people from all back grounds helping him from college young mechanics and all young people who had not done well at school in a programme I watched but let’s not celebrate a good news story

12 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Thinking about this further, an actual civil war doesn't seem unthinkable. If Trump loses the election, especially if it's close, all hell could break loose.

The problem will be that he may just refuse to believe the result and claim voter fraud or whatever. He's been laying the groundwork for that for months now, stating that mail in voting is riddled with cheating and so on.  Of course he would simply be removed from government, the army won't back him or anything like that...but the problem what will his most loyal supporters do (of which there are inexplicably large numbers), when he will tweet that their rightful president has been cheated out of office. 

After witnessing Trump hold an indoor election rally in a state with a considerable covid-19 problem, shouldn't it be obvious to everyone that he cares nothing for the safety of the American people?  The only American he is concerned about is Donald J. Trump.  I think the rally will be seen in hindsight as a strategic misstep as well as a moral abomination. 

14 minutes ago, cstand said:

Also Blissett got people from all back grounds helping him from college young mechanics and all young people who had not done well at school in a programme I watched but let’s not celebrate a good news story

Ah you seriously suggesting that BAME folk wouldn't be happy about the work that Luther has done. Can you provide a single shred of evidence to support this view or are you just spouting nonsense from your bubble again? 

6 hours ago, Archied said:

You r jumping the gun a bit too , the reports say not terror linked yet either ,still being investigated 

Nope, the reports I actually bothered to read on the BBC News Website, Sky News and Reuters all confirmed the police were treating it as a terrorist incident based on eyewitness reports. In fact, I can't find any evidence of a single report stating it was NOT terror linked. When a chap is screaming 'allahu akbar' (and NOT Black Lives Matter) as he stabs people in a public park, that evidence is hard to refute.

The point I was trying to make is that when folk post or support an article that they've not read in order to decry a movement that, as was clearly stated in the very report posted, as being entirely unconnected, it's not a good look, especially in the current environment. If you feel otherwise, that's your prerogative, but it's kind of a hard sell, to be honest.

13 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Nope, the reports I actually bothered to read on the BBC News Website, Sky News and Reuters all confirmed the police were treating it as a terrorist incident based on eyewitness reports. In fact, I can't find any evidence of a single report stating it was NOT terror linked. When a chap is screaming 'allahu akbar' (and NOT Black Lives Matter) as he stabs people in a public park, that evidence is hard to refute.

The point I was trying to make is that when folk post or support an article that they've not read in order to decry a movement that, as was clearly stated in the very report posted, as being entirely unconnected, it's not a good look, especially in the current environment. If you feel otherwise, that's your prerogative, but it's kind of a hard sell, to be honest.

It was on the bbc earlier that they were not treating it as a terror related incident, maybe sorts out some of the confusion.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-berkshire-53123975

Taken in from the above article

”Police are not currently treating the incident as terror-related, but counter terrorism officers were called."

5 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

It was on the bbc earlier that they were not treating it as a terror related incident, maybe sorts out some of the confusion.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-berkshire-53123975

Taken in from the above article

”Police are not currently treating the incident as terror-related, but counter terrorism officers were called."

Cheers Jimmy - odd when the same site has a plethora of reports (including last night) saying it was being treated as a terrorist incident. I guess the one thing that is clear, is has got nothing to do with the BLM protest as was being implied last night.

43 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Nope was not for a minute supporting the connecting it to BLM was merely pointing out that at the time you posted it was not confirmed as a terror attack either ,lots of sources were at pains to say it was unconfirmed , if you want to jump the gun and report it as such that’s your prerogative ?

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

Nope was not for a minute supporting the connecting it to BLM was merely pointing out that at the time you posted it was not confirmed as a terror attack either ,lots of sources were at pains to say it was unconfirmed , if you want to jump the gun and report it as such that’s your prerogative ?

No gun jumping mate, I've cited the sources. Feel free to show otherwise, as is your prerogative ?

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Ah you seriously suggesting that BAME folk wouldn't be happy about the work that Luther has done. Can you provide a single shred of evidence to support this view or are you just spouting nonsense from your bubble again? 

I have not got clue about your wrong interpretation about what I posted.

What bubble do  you mean all lives matter?

40 minutes ago, cstand said:

I have not got clue about your wrong interpretation about what I posted.

What bubble do  you mean all lives matter?

If you've 'not got a clue about my interpretation', how do you now it's wrong? 

Anyway, I've had my weekly pointless argument already so you crack on mate. The floor, as they say, is yours ?

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

After witnessing Trump hold an indoor election rally in a state with a considerable covid-19 problem, shouldn't it be obvious to everyone that he cares nothing for the safety of the American people?  The only American he is concerned about is Donald J. Trump.  I think the rally will be seen in hindsight as a strategic misstep as well as a moral abomination. 

Large scale protests and riots across multiple US and UK cities = *crickets*

Republican rally = "moral abomination"

Did you forget about covid for the last several weeks, or do you only criticise mass gatherings when you disagree with the politics of the attendees?

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

Large scale protests and riots across multiple US and UK cities = *crickets*

Republican rally = "moral abomination"

Did you forget about covid for the last several weeks, or do you only criticise mass gatherings when you disagree with the politics of the attendees?

Would you like me to cite some of the dozens of posts condemning the mass rallies in the UK on this very thread. Happy to post them in braille if that'd help?

Archived