How good have Frank Lampard’s signings been

Derby blood

On 30/11/2019 at 21:52, Derby blood said:

Holmes trys his best, has a good engine on him, but his final ball is shocking

Dont agree, I think he is the only player in midfield we have (fit) that can put the striker through. I've seen him play numerous through balls for the striker to run onto. Loves a nutmeg through ball. 

However, he is a hot and cold player. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evans - cheap, average

Holmes - cheap average to good

Shinnie - free, good

Waggy - expensive, good and bad form, not suited to current team - average

Marriott - expensive, deadly, fitness issues and unsuited - average overall

Zoon - most like a McClaren signing, some good technical ability but infective, expensive as well - poor

Cole - free, poor

Ambrose - free poor

Mostly average, poor given how unsuited most of them are to what we're trying to do under Cocu (particularly Marriott and Waghorn who were the right kind of players for Lampard's team but clearly not this one)

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Can the new investors bring some scouts with them too?

They definitely will; I hear they're friends with the Ince family.

On 30/11/2019 at 23:09, Millenniumram said:

Would say calling them “Lampard’s signings” is a bit of a falsity. Think as usual most signings will have been done by the recruitment team, the same team which I believe is still in charge of transfers now (somehow). Certainly the permanent signings probably weren’t players found by Lampard, anyway.

In fairness, I actually think last years transfers weren’t too bad, not by the standard of the signings we’ve made in recent years anyway - which isn’t high. Don’t think they were as bad as some of the 15/16 signings, or some of the signings we made last summer. Nowhere near top standard still mind, but still, there was the odd decent find in there.

Malone is a good player in the main at this level. Inconsistent, and makes stupid decisions sometimes, but he’s got talent. Barring the odd shocker like today, he’s normally decent. 

Evans is a bit more of an enigma. The odd game he’s brilliant and makes you feel like he’s criminally underused. But then when he gets a run in the team, he just seems to vanish. Doesn’t make enough impact on games. There’s serious talent in there, it’s why he was in City’s academy, but he really doesn’t do enough when he gets a proper chance. Like today, totally anonymous. Has to impact games more and showcase his ability, seems to pass the buck on to players around him far too much, like Holmes today. Needs to work harder and stamp his authority on games.

Holmes I know has been criticised a lot on here, but I love the bloke. He’s the one properly good signing in this lot for me. 700k or whatever it was for a reasonably unknown player, who turns out to be to be quality at this level. That’s the sort of scouting we need more of. Puts his all into every game, got good energy, good technique, and a strong tackle. Best CM at the club imo, and the only one remotely good enough (attacking midfield wise). Top player, who’d look a lot better with some decent players around him.

Josefzoon I’m agreed on obviously. Poor player. Must have something about him to have made it at PSV, but he’s been shocking here. Can’t think of much he’s done to justify a £2 price tag yet alone 2mil. Terrible signing.

Waghorn I agree was a bit of waste of money. Again not a great player. Had some decent play last year in fairness, but has been poor this year. Not enough quality, and the touch of a dead donkey.

Marriott seems to be well loved, but I don’t quite get it. He’s scored some damn vital goals, so I suppose that’s why there’s always the question when he’s not playing. But he just doesn’t offer anywhere near enough in general play for me. Doesn’t work hard enough to come and get the ball, and seems to struggle for fitness. One of the poorest signings in this lot for me, especially given his recent struggles in front of goal.

Have to include Shinnie as well in here I think. When he came into the team this season he was absolutely transformative. Finally a bit of energy and bite in the midfield. Looked a top player on a free transfer before his injury.

So, bit of a mixed bag, but by our standards not horrendous. The lack of activity last summer has been the real real killer this year. Any claims of a transition season go out the window when we haven’t brought the players in to transition into anything yet.

I enjoyed reading that. Totally agree about Holmes. Add a finishing touch and we have a great great player. Remind you of someone else ?????

I think Waghorn is going through a bad patch, very out of form with his touch and confidence. He however is a trier and I remain hopeful he’ll pull himself out of it.

Marriott an enigma .. fitness, form, attitude. Hot and cold on all fronts. what is going on ? There is a story that we haven’t heard. 

Shinnie .. solid mid table champ midfielder who’s brave, gives everything but not exceptional 

Evans .. agree couldn’t have put your summary better myself. Odd ! 

Malone .. same as above 

Jozie .. where did the player we saw in the first couple of games vanish to .. I mean revanish ! Or is it like Lawrence and he wants to play 10 as well ? 

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

I mean, didn't Ince's wife tell us to sign Mbappe & Ousmane Dembele before they hit the big time?

I personally wouldn't object!!!

Haha they might not have played for their senior sides yet (both did shortly after) but they were both globally recognised as two of the best teenage prospects in the world and were being tracked by every major club. ? 

That sort of scouting isn't worth a whole lot to us ? 

If Derby wanted to, they could employ me as a scout and I could offer the same insight. I'd happily do it for just £500,000 too.

Malone - Exactly what he was always going to be, decent enough championship player, better going forward than defending. Been a bit of a scapegoat, but in a better side he would have been able to do more going the way he prefers. 6

Evans - Not worked out realIy, had the odd moment, but if he can't nail a spot down whilst we're shambolic I don't think he ever will. 5

Holmes - Decent squad player, worked better last year with better players around him. but has shown he's not a player that could ever be key, the sort that drives us on and changes things. I expect we'll make a profit on him. 6.5

Jozefzoon - Not shown anything like being worth/repaying his fee, and that's the main problem with him really. If you're talking Holmes or even Evans fees it's a low risk gamble, for nearly £3m he's a flop. 4

Waghorn - last years Lawrence - utilised properly at Ipswich he looked decent, but here too often a square peg in a round hole so underperforms. Of all the above, still the most capable in this division. 6 

Marriott - No doubt there's a player in there, an old school man manager could probably do wonders in making him a consistent striker at this level. 6

Shinnie - Absolutely no weight of expectation. Signed by a manager who left before the ink had dried, and on a free transfer, so he gets a free pass.  He's a battler and that will always endear a player to fans, especially in times a team is underperforming. Would have made a good water carrier in a midfield of whoever Frank brought in. Different type of player but could argue he could have saved us spending a fortune on Bielik. 6.5 

Archived