Change to loan system (suggestion)

This is an idea I've had for a while, I know it would never be introduced but here goes.

Clubs like Chelsea use the loan market as a business, they sign dozens of the countries best players with no intention of them playing for Chelsea, they loan them out for decent loan fees before eventually selling the odd one for big money.

Often the players development has been helped along by a lower league club, so take Tomori for example, he came to us a relatively unknown, he goes back to Chelsea a formidable CB now reportedly of interest to Burnley for 15 million, what do we get as a club for helping his development? The satisfaction knowing he once played for us?

My idea is, when a club loans any player, if that player is then sold within 12 months of the loan, the loaning club would receive 20 percent of any transfer fee.

I can't imagine it having a massive impact on the game, but if Tomori was sold to Burnley for 15 million or Wilson for 25 million, that would be a nice chunk of the profits that has been realised as a result of the work our club did.

It could help all the club's in the lower leagues.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

This is an idea I've had for a while, I know it would never be introduced but here goes.

Clubs like Chelsea use the loan market as a business, they sign dozens of the countries best players with no intention of them playing for Chelsea, they loan them out for decent loan fees before eventually selling the odd one for big money.

Often the players development has been helped along by a lower league club, so take Tomori for example, he came to us a relatively unknown, he goes back to Chelsea a formidable CB now reportedly of interest to Burnley for 15 million, what do we get as a club for helping his development? The satisfaction knowing he once played for us?

My idea is, when a club loans any player, if that player is then sold within 12 months of the loan, the loaning club would receive 20 percent of any transfer fee.

I can't imagine it having a massive impact on the game, but if Tomori was sold to Burnley for 15 million or Wilson for 25 million, that would be a nice chunk of the profits that has been realised as a result of the work our club did.

I quite like that idea. Good thinking batman.

I guess the top clubs would argue that the benefit the loaning club receives is in having the services of a player while he's there but I guess the loan fee pays for that.

Maybe they could make a start by scrapping loan fees for players moving to clubs outside of the top flight.

Nice idea in principle, but you loan players temporarily in and get the benefits of a quality player without having to pay big money for it. You’re not really owed anything if they make it big because you’ve already had the benefit from them and they’ve never been your player. It would certainly boost clubs in the lower leagues, but no way would the big boys be happy.

Couple of issues here, first the clubs wouldn’t agree to it and the Premier League need to keep their big clubs happy to avoid them threatening to break away.

So it would never happen.

I also agree with @Millenniumram on this rare occasion. Take Tammy Abraham for example, without his goals Villa don’t go up, that loan helped the club get promoted. Why would they be owed 20% if they sold him this summer, makes no sense.

Limit squad numbers, but again that’s not in the big clubs interests so won’t happen.

Limit the number of times they can be loaned out, again, that’s not in their interests.

Rule changes that have been made have been to benefit the big clubs, so you have to look at what the EFL can do instead, but any rule changes which prevent loan players coming into the league will only see them go out to Germany and Netherlands instead.

1 hour ago, David said:

Couple of issues here, first the clubs wouldn’t agree to it and the Premier League need to keep their big clubs happy to avoid them threatening to break away.

So it would never happen.

I also agree with @Millenniumram on this rare occasion. Take Tammy Abraham for example, without his goals Villa don’t go up, that loan helped the club get promoted. Why would they be owed 20% if they sold him this summer, makes no sense.

Limit squad numbers, but again that’s not in the big clubs interests so won’t happen.

Limit the number of times they can be loaned out, again, that’s not in their interests.

Rule changes that have been made have been to benefit the big clubs, so you have to look at what the EFL can do instead, but any rule changes which prevent loan players coming into the league will only see them go out to Germany and Netherlands instead.

It’s a slippery slope, I expect to see you slamming every team selection by Christmas. I’ll get to you eventually?

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s a slippery slope, I expect to see you slamming every team selection by Christmas. I’ll get to you eventually?

Been there, done that, realised I know nothing. Don’t intend to going back to those days.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Shame, must not be an FM expert like me. Can’t all be this talented 

I was back in the day, name a player and I could tell you where they played and what club. Lose interest as you get older.

Hate Steam and all the interaction stuff, interviews with the same 5 options. After you’ve won the Premier League a few times with Derby starts to get a bit repetitive.

29 minutes ago, David said:

I was back in the day, name a player and I could tell you where they played and what club. Lose interest as you get older.

Hate Steam and all the interaction stuff, interviews with the same 5 options. After you’ve won the Premier League a few times with Derby starts to get a bit repetitive.

Tbf I haven’t played the most recent couple as much.. too much poo to do nowadays. Overcomplicated 

On 07/07/2019 at 09:38, MackworthRamIsGod said:

And there's the problem right there. If it doesn't help the Premier elite, it ain't gonna happen.

Goog idea though.

Archived