The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Tory party largest party but a coalition of the other non-far right parties to form a government.

SNP and Labour. 

Possible but I hope not. 

I can remember the winter of discontent and the 3 day week when we overspent and run out of money. 

image.thumb.jpeg.30a9e923eca9039c6ed10d3843b1267c.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

SNP and Labour. 

Possible but I hope not. 

I can remember the winter of discontent and the 3 day week when we overspent and run out of money. 

image.thumb.jpeg.30a9e923eca9039c6ed10d3843b1267c.jpeg

I'm old enough to remember austerity, when food banks usage went crazy and the increase in homelessness made you wonder how sick we are as a supposedly rich country.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm old enough to remember austerity, when food banks usage went crazy and the increase in homelessness made you wonder how sick we are as a supposedly rich country.

I don’t like food banks increase or increase in homelessness either. 

Nobody likes it . 

Rich country that crashed in 2010 

Remember Northern Rock and subprime mortgages  

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I don’t like food banks increase or increase in homelessness either. 

Nobody likes it . 

Rich country that crashed in 2010 

Remember Northern Rock and subprime mortgages  

It was well before 2010

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Let's hope they regulate the banks then like New Labour neglected to do right?

Wasn’t Corbyn part of New Labour. 

Corbyn in 2006

Between 1997 and 2010, during the most recent Labour Government, Corbyn was the Labour MP who voted most often against the party whip, including three-line whip votes. In 2005 he was identified as the second most rebellious Labour MP of all time when the party was in government.[92] He was the most rebellious Labour MP in the 1997–2001 Parliament,[93] the 2001–2005 Parliament[94] and the 2005–2010 Parliament, defying the whip 428 times while Labour was in power.[95] Jacobin described him as "a figure who for decades challenged them [Labour Party elites] from the backbench as one of the most rebellious left-wing members of parliament."

He is now Leader of a radical Left wing party in Labour. 

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

One of the reasons we ran out of money was that the Arabs increased the price of crude oil by 500 % as a reaction to the Arab-Israeli war. How robust the economy must have been then.

Just imagine what would happen in today's political climate if we had to deal with a 500 % increase in the price of oil.. There would be blood in the streets and Trump would be pressing the nuclear button.

4 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

One of the reasons we ran out of money was that the Arabs increased the price of crude oil by 500 % as a reaction to the Arab-Israeli war. How robust the economy must have been then.

Just imagine what would happen in today's political climate if we had to deal with a 500 % increase in the price of oil.. There would be blood in the streets and Trump would be pressing the nuclear button.

I think oil will be phased out as climate change policies come to the fore 

11 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Question was about who introduced PFI. I didn't see the link between war and the question, so didn't even try to respond. Maybe others felt the same?

I wouldn't expect you to even try to respond as I didn't ask you the question, I asked the person who made the post.

The second part of his quote was about PFI but in the first part he was commenting on some of thatchers policies or practices such as illegal wars. I can only remember one war Thatcher was involved in, though I was only a kid at the time so my memory may not be great, so I was asking him which war or wars he was referring to as the one I can remember wasn't illegal.. Hope that's ok.

Don't worry, I still don't expect you to answer the question and if you want to know the link between war and the question you're probably better asking him.

41 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

I wouldn't expect you to even try to respond as I didn't ask you the question, I asked the person who made the post.

The second part of his quote was about PFI but in the first part he was commenting on some of thatchers policies or practices such as illegal wars. I can only remember one war Thatcher was involved in, though I was only a kid at the time so my memory may not be great, so I was asking him which war or wars he was referring to as the one I can remember wasn't illegal.. Hope that's ok.

Don't worry, I still don't expect you to answer the question and if you want to know the link between war and the question you're probably better asking him.

The only conflicts that went on during thatchers premiership were the Falklands and the northern Ireland "troubles".

Neither of these were actually ever declared as "war".

The legality of the Falklands is very fraught. Both Argentina and the UK claim sovereignty. And neither are prepared to have their claim tested in international law. Its therefore virtually impossible to make any categorical statement about legality. 

40 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The only conflicts that went on during thatchers premiership were the Falklands and the northern Ireland "troubles".

Neither of these were actually ever declared as "war".

The legality of the Falklands is very fraught. Both Argentina and the UK claim sovereignty. And neither are prepared to have their claim tested in international law. Its therefore virtually impossible to make any categorical statement about legality. 

Ok cool. Thatcher was many things but no illegal wars. Cheers

Archived