Death Penalty

Sith Happens

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Why don’t we put it to a public vote?

Nothing can go wrong with a public vote.

?

Could be worse, could rely on politicians to vote.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, jono said:

I haven't got an answer but I am trying to imagine with Social media ravings and viral posting what it would be like if we brought it back ? I could see it being almost a return to public executions where people turned up to be entertained. Not for me

There have been a couple of Black Mirror episodes that deal with that sort of thing. Yes it's deliberately dystopian but you can see where they're going with it. There are cruel punishments far worse than death that would have far more entertainment appeal to some people. Where would it end?

The death penalty can never be allowed to come back....ever.......

If there is ever a chance of an innocent person being executed by the state then the whole system has failed.... If we had the death penalty in the 80's then the Birmingham 6 would have all been killed....

On 25/02/2019 at 08:50, froggg said:

He will be rule 43, and segregated from the other prisoners.

True but he will still be amongst other segregated prisoners and given these will include bent cops, grasses and even gang members at high risk were they in gen pop, the odds are very strong that someone is going to have the means, the will and the opportunity. Such acts are worn like badges of honour inside, lest we forget.

On thread, it's simply absurd to kill folk as a punishment for killing other folk IMO. And one mistaken conviction undermines the whole premise. Understand why some feel that he does not deserve to live but capital punishment is not the way forward. Would I feel different if directly affected - obviously yes, but it still wouldn't make the death penalty any less barbaric, would it? It's a weak argument anyway as one could just as easily ask whether those who are in favour of the death penalty would feel differently were their son or daughter wrongfully executed? I think we all know the answer to that.

Archived