The Efe Effect

Parsnip

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Can only be a positive having him onboard.

How old is he?

After, Tomori, he's our youngest first team CB.

Or, to put it another way, he's now the youngest CB we actually own.

5 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

How old was Obafemi Martins? 

You'll need to be more specific as to when you're referring. People's ages change quite frequently.

17 hours ago, Parsnip said:

And let's face it, we're a bit crap at 4-3-3.

Are we? Because I'm looking at the table and it says we're 7th with 2 games in hand over the top 2 and a game in hand over the 3 below them.

Makes you question how that was possible if we're a bit crap in a formation we have played for the majority of the season.

Could we be better? Of course, but to say we're a bit crap is a load of crap.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Are we? Because I'm looking at the table and it says we're 7th with 2 games in hand over the top 2 and a game in hand over the 3 below them.

We start at 4-3-3, play crap, score an own goal, send the forum into meltdown and go in at half time losing. Frank shouts at the players, abandons 4-3-3 changes formation and we win.

Every game.

Just now, Parsnip said:

We start at 4-3-3, play crap, score an own goal, send the forum into meltdown and go in at half time losing. Frank balls the players, abandons 4-3-3 changes formation and we win.

Every game.

2 own goals all season

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

You want 3-5-2 tho eh?

I just want to win as many of the remaining 15 games as we can, be that 4-3-3, 3-4-3, 2-2-2-4.

Just thought the a bit crap thing was a bit wrong. 

Not saying we can't do better, of course we can, and if you have created the winning formula that will see us go undefeated till May I tip my hat to you.

Whilst I don't think we have been "found out", I think it's important we have something up our sleeves to change the game, on Saturday 4-4-2 did that. I don't think Frank is afraid to mix it up when things are not working.

39 minutes ago, David said:

Just thought the a bit crap thing was a bit wrong.

Fair enough. I'm not actually moaning anyway - I'm not even that bothered about the last two performances. I actually had a look at Brighton's line up after everyone was celebrating Murray's absence and couldn't help but notice that their "reserve" striker cost them £15m (about double the combined cost of Snip & Dud) so I wasn't expecting a win.

My post was really just a ponderance on whether there's more to the Efe transfer than just "cheap backup" especially considering our attack minded full backs.

As for the "a bit crap" comment, here's a shameful Cheryl gif to apologise.

giphy.gif.374c8b763b8fb3c99d1a76f974c52fef.gif

Btw... "Snip & Dud"! I like that. I going to try and make it a thing.

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

My post was really just a ponderance on whether there's more to the Efe transfer than just "cheap backup" especially considering our attack minded full backs.

I'm not sure we would change the entire system having signed what could have been our 3rd choice centre back. 

I say 3rd choice because Ampadu Lampard confirmed we asked about earlier in the window.

Pennington interest the Ipswich media are claiming was very real.

Then we sign Ambrose.

Now Ambrose might have been further down the list than that, he could be 6th, 7th or 8th choice.

I think we have signed him as backup and with him being a couple weeks away from being ready, doubt we will see a great deal of him if at all.

I don’t think the 3-5-2 formation particularly works for a couple of reasons:

1) I can’t think of any occasion when we’ve swapped to it that we’ve looked anything other than disjointed. Admittedly, we haven’t done it enough but it would take serious work for the 3 centre backs to get up to speed. I also don’t think Ambrose was needed to switch to this formation as Wisdom and Tomori either side of Keogh looks to be more balanced.

2) the width comes from the wing backs, which haven’t been entirely prolific. We lose another a couple of midfielders then the emphasis is on them to provide a lot of creativity. We could otherwise have two strikers upfront that are chasing bad balls or scratching their arse for the most part. 

In all, if this was pre-season and we could work on the system then I’d be all for it. As it’s the tail end of the season and we can’t afford any slip ups then I would try to avoid reinventing the wheel. The defence at the moment looks balanced enough, we need to ride that as it’s the best thing going for us at the minute. We can tinker with midfield and attacking trio as they’re all interchangeable at the moment. It’s easier to find that balance than it is to change the entire system. Huddlestone, King, Mount, Wilson, Marriott and Waghorn as a front six would be my next test with everyone fit. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don’t think the 3-5-2 formation particularly works for a couple of reasons:

1) I can’t think of any occasion when we’ve swapped to it that we’ve looked anything other than disjointed. Admittedly, we haven’t done it enough but it would take serious work for the 3 centre backs to get up to speed. I also don’t think Ambrose was needed to switch to this formation as Wisdom and Tomori either side of Keogh looks to be more balanced.

2) the width comes from the wing backs, which haven’t been entirely prolific. We lose another a couple of midfielders then the emphasis is on them to provide a lot of creativity. We could otherwise have two strikers upfront that are chasing bad balls or scratching their arse for the most part. 

In all, if this was pre-season and we could work on the system then I’d be all for it. As it’s the tail end of the season and we can’t afford any slip ups then I would try to avoid reinventing the wheel. The defence at the moment looks balanced enough, we need to ride that as it’s the best thing going for us at the minute. We can tinker with midfield and attacking trio as they’re all interchangeable at the moment. It’s easier to find that balance than it is to change the entire system. Huddlestone, King, Mount, Wilson, Marriott and Waghorn as a front six would be my next test with everyone fit. 

I also think people see the 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 transitional formation which is we use, and then imagine 3-5-2, I think we'll be dropping a defender to add a striker.

When, in truth, 3-5-2 would be adding a defender, and adding a central striker (albeit you'd imagine Waghorn would just move centrally). So where you are sacrificing positions is in central midfield, and forward wingers, which is where we have the largest concentration of talent (imo).

Even though its a formation that wouldn't require a DM, Huddlestone's talent would still put him in the category of players you'd want to see.

Huddlestone, Holmes, Mount, King, Wilson, Lawrence, Bryson, Johnson, Bird and Evans would all be vying for one of 3 central midfield positions.

Marriott, Waghorn, Wilson, Lawrence, Nugent, Jozefzoon and Bennett would all be vying for one of 2 forward positions.

Meanwhile, we'd have only two defenders in reserve. One a LB and only a LB - and the other a RB come CB who's been utter pants in his appearances so far this season.

Simply put, I just don't think it would be an efficient use of the squad.

Having three centre backs at the club, I just can't see us switching to 3-5-2 for anything other than seeing a game out.

Ambrose will be a cheap back up until the end of the season. If he gets a run of games and does well, expect to see him stay. If he doesn't expect to see him leave or remain as a cheap back up next season.

I think we'll stick with a 4-3-3 for the rest of the season, switching to 4-4-2 when we're chasing games.

Nugent is half the player he was and we have no other backups to Marriott and Waghorn, so it's unrealistic to think we have it in us to play 2 up top all the time.

Archived