Are you experienced? Frank isn't, and neither is his squad.

Rev

In light of a few threads debating just how well Frank is doing, I thought I'd pull together a few stats on just where he stands compared to the rest of the top 12 in terms of games management experience.

The following are games managed so far, according to Transfermkt.co.uk

Tony Pulis 710 games plus no stats for first 7 years.

Tony Mowbray 575.

Martin O'Neill 518 plus no stats for first 5 years.

Chris Wilder 444.

Dean Smith 421.

Nigel Adkins 408.

Lee Johnson 307.

Marcelo Bielsa 292 plus no stats for first 6 years.

Daniel Farke 264.

Garry Monk 198.

Darren Moore 39.

Frank Lampard 36.

Next up from the same source is a screenshot of the average age of the teams put out this season in the league.

Screenshot_20190203-192016.thumb.png.c5c71a8091d5abf6b1e9efb02970d94f.png

This shows Swansea at the top, and ourselves in eleventh. Only 3 teams above us have an average younger age, Bristol City over half a year younger, and Leeds and Norwich around 3 months younger on average so far.

I can't comment on the other teams as I don't watch them enough to know, but I'd guess our average age is creeping down as the season has gone on, we started the season with Nugent and replaced him with Marriott, Malone for Fozzy, Evans for Hudds, Holmes for Johnson etc. Offset by the fact Davies would probably have been more involved but for injury, and the impending deployment of Ashley Cole.

But still, comfortably in the top half of the table for inexperience.

Frank came to us and bought a whole media circus with him, I admit I feel wierd just seeing him with a Ram on his chest and leading the bounce, but I also think this impacts on our impressions of the job he's doing.

I think some people judge him on his playing career, but really that needs chucking in the bin, it was good enough to secure him the job but isn't relevant now.

He's at a massive disadvantage experience wise compared to everyone but Moore.

Yet he's in profit on transfers, has knocked 3 or more years off the average age of the squad, shown more ability than most in cup ties giving us some great nights along the way, and kept us in touch with the top 6.

I'll admit the football style wise isn't always good to watch, and we've hit a few hurdles, but nothing that doesn't happen to even the most experienced manager, but this time last year I think we hit peak Rowettball, and due to the age of the squad and the manager it could only go one way, and that wasn't upwards.

This year, due to the inexperience of both players and manager, it could go either way, but I'm much more positive we'll see an upward trajectory between now and the end of the season than I ever was under Rowett.

Even if we don't make top 6, I think he's shown more than enough to persevere with.

He's a rookie, and makes rookie mistakes, but I'm convinced he'll be the real deal in time, it would be a shame to let him cut his teeth here and then let him apply the lessons learnt elsewhere.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have had alot of managers since we were relegated over a decade ago and I have supported all of them. However I have become less interested in the managers profile, as they are rarely at the club long enough (with exception of Nigel Clough) to know what they are really like. A managers (positive) media profile can be an asset to a club, but it won't win games. I will consider a manager a success when they achieve promotion to the PL. 

18 hours ago, europia said:

We have had alot of managers since we were relegated over a decade ago and I have supported all of them. However I have become less interested in the managers profile, as they are rarely at the club long enough (with exception of Nigel Clough) to know what they are really like. A managers (positive) media profile can be an asset to a club, but it won't win games. I will consider a manager a success when they achieve promotion to the PL. 

The Bring back billy campaign starts here.

Further to @reveldeviltalking about squad age, that's one of the astonishing changes Frank has wrought this season. Here's the picture from a year ago at the end of 2017 with the average age of our starting 11 in parentheses:

681836634_end2017squadage.thumb.JPG.006edbfb2ae6974fbaa67017a42bb2b8.JPG

This was embarrassing and one of the reasons I ultimately came to dislike Rowett.

And now here we are a year on with the dramatic change:

1029363193_end2018squadage.thumb.JPG.4ea4c3d370e13ef6fe5233908efa5595.JPG

To lose three years per player on your starting 11 over the course of a year is really something. It's not been crazy. We haven't gone from experience to youth; we've gone from experience to a blend of youth and experience. And while we still have a sizable collection of oldies, if you look at the shape of the graph, we have more youth coming through than any other team in the league.

And although Frank isn't at all experienced as a manager, he has vast experience in football in terms of the many great managers he's played under, the trophies he's won, the England caps he's won and the goals he's scored. And the passion for hard work and winning he's demonstrated throughout his career. That'll do for me.

Source is the Experimetal361 blog https://experimental361.com/2018/12/31/squad-age-profiles-30-dec-2018/

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Further to @reveldeviltalking about squad age, that's one of the astonishing changes Frank has wrought this season. Here's the picture from a year ago at the end of 2017 with the average age of our starting 11 in parentheses:

681836634_end2017squadage.thumb.JPG.006edbfb2ae6974fbaa67017a42bb2b8.JPG

This was embarrassing and one of the reasons I ultimately came to dislike Rowett.

And now here we are a year on with the dramatic change:

1029363193_end2018squadage.thumb.JPG.4ea4c3d370e13ef6fe5233908efa5595.JPG

To lose three years per player on your starting 11 over the course of a year is really something. It's not been crazy. We haven't gone from experience to youth; we've gone from experience to a blend of youth and experience. And while we still have a sizable collection of oldies, if you look at the shape of the graph, we have more youth coming through than any other team in the league.

And although Frank isn't at all experienced as a manager, he has vast experience in football in terms of the many great managers he's played under, the trophies he's won, the England caps he's won and the goals he's scored. And the passion for hard work and winning he's demonstrated throughout his career. That'll do for me.

Source is the Experimetal361 blog https://experimental361.com/2018/12/31/squad-age-profiles-30-dec-2018/

Most U21s looking at that

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Most U21s looking at that

Absolutely. What the commentary accompanying the recent graphic says is "Millwall are the only side not to have fielded anyone aged 21 or under this season, while almost a third of Derby‘s minutes have been given to players in this age group."

Archived