Which Derby player made you feel old?

Day

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

None of them. Using the theory of relativity they all move so fast now that time has slowed for me to the point I'm not getting any older. Or is it the other way round , bother!! @Carl Sagan help please.

Brilliant! Sadly it is the other way round so you're ageing faster than them. It's actually complicated to explain why - given everything is relative you might think from the players'  frame of reference it's you who's moving fast. 

And that's true, but this is the famous Twin Paradox. And delving into the mathematics, it's because the players are the ones accelerating to their incredible speeds that make time dilation a real thing for them. 

22 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Brilliant! Sadly it is the other way round so you're ageing faster than them. It's actually complicated to explain why - given everything is relative you might think from the players'  frame of reference it's you who's moving fast. 

And that's true, but this is the famous Twin Paradox. And delving into the mathematics, it's because the players are the ones accelerating to their incredible speeds that make time dilation a real thing for them. 

I actually read a "simple" guide to this with diagrams to help the intellectually challenged. Thought I actually followed some of it! Anyway it works. 2 hours reading/thinking went in a flash whilst the wife complained that I'd sat doing nothing and she'd done all the housework.

Archived