No foreign players please, we're British.

RamNut

53 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Thank goodness we have all British posters on this forum, god forbid if a foreign poster came on here, with their knowledge and experience of other cultures and football leagues. 

See, it sounds daft if you put it in the context of the forum, why apply it to a football club? 

We dont. But it being a mainly local forum for a local football club is a good thing. I don't want this place turning into the Bleacher Report.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DRBee said:

Nope ... there will be many in Derby who do not yet have UK citizenship, and the British people from ethnic minorities will have plenty of relatives who are non-British. Will they enjoy the " no foreigners please" ?

And what about the Polish and other EU migrants who are not British?

How do you think Josefzoon would react on reading the original post?

You could go make friends with a foreign person and ask them. 

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

You know the rules lads, lets not turn it into a discussion about racism or the thread will be deleted quicker than Boycie can wire a plug.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So we'll have plenty of time then...

We probably will. Simple job like a plug wiring suddenly becomes a massive job..'here guv, i know its only wiring a light switch but look your wirings shot, going to need to rewire the house, new rcd units. Going to have to rip into the walls but got a mate who can do you a deal on the plastering. '

'I know we said 60 quid but if we do it cash in hand i can do it all for 9,600'

Is it time for me to wheel out my plan for nationalisation of the Football League again?

All teams are run by the local council, and owned by the citizens of the town

All registered players (and the Manager) have to have been born within the city/town boundaries

All wages are to a strict scale, which rises incrementally with age

Tickets are no more than £20

Say what you like about the (im)practicalities of my plan, but it would certainly be entertaining, engaging and would stop all arguments like this

It's an interesting one.

Maybe having a team of Brits or at least familiar players helps with mentality.

Obviously they'll know about gloomy Tuesdays, the demands of a long season, freak results, form and press/fan pressure, plus speaking the language has to help.

Worth noting the amount of international experience at whatever level our players have, and the fact that Waghorn and Mount have significant experience in another country, added to Jozefzoon etc of course.

Imports used to bring a level of skill we didn't have domestically, often as a result of being from better nations/being more affordable. I think both of those things have changed somewhat. 

Technically I still think there are leagues more gifted than ours but the way the game is now it's harder to pick players up before they're on other clubs radars. That means players often have more inflated prices/wages and are more of a risk than previously. Our domestic prices have had a bigger hike, but the players are arguably safer gambles.

Someone like Jim Smith (and was it Burley?) could spot a diamond in another league and most of the time they were great additions.

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Is it time for me to wheel out my plan for nationalisation of the Football League again?

All teams are run by the local council, and owned by the citizens of the town

All registered players (and the Manager) have to have been born within the city/town boundaries

All wages are to a strict scale, which rises incrementally with age

Tickets are no more than £20

Say what you like about the (im)practicalities of my plan, but it would certainly be entertaining, engaging and would stop all arguments like this

How would you phase it in? And how many coconuts do you think Burnley would have given us for Vydra?

11 hours ago, DRBee said:

Nope ... there will be many in Derby who do not yet have UK citizenship, and the British people from ethnic minorities will have plenty of relatives who are non-British. Will they enjoy the " no foreigners please" ?

Can I ask why you're choosing to willfully ignore the fact that the thread title is a joke? It was explained on page 2 for anyone who didn't catch the reference that the thread title is a play on the farce, "No Sex Please, We're British". Not a single person in the thread has seriously professed a dislike for foreigners or foreign footballers, yet here you are on page 6 posting the same irrelevant rubbish.

11 hours ago, DRBee said:

You are being deliberately thick.

the original post made no reference whatsoever to a preference for no foreign players. In subsequent posts i made that clear. 

57 minutes ago, Anon said:

Can I ask why you're choosing to willfully ignore the fact that the thread title is a joke? It was explained on page 2 for anyone who didn't catch the reference that the thread title is a play on the farce, "No Sex Please, We're British". Not a single person in the thread has seriously professed a dislike for foreigners or foreign footballers, yet here you are on page 6 posting the same irrelevant rubbish.

My response to the original post was made on page 1 , I merely respond to replies to my posts. Sorry if it has upset you so much. Wonder why? Read the responses more carefully - your post is not true.

38 minutes ago, DRBee said:

My response to the original post was made on page 1 , I merely respond to replies to my posts. Sorry if it has upset you so much. Wonder why? Read the responses more carefully - your post is not true.

There's such an incredible irony in you imploring me to read things more carefully after I've just had to explain the context of the thread title to you because you apparently can't be bothered to read replies in a discussion you've chosen to participate in unless they quote you directly. I'm annoyed because you're bringing down the average IQ of Derby fans substantially. If I could transfer you out for a foreign import, the deal would be done in a heartbeat.

14 hours ago, StringerBell said:

How would you phase it in?

A small band of partisans would storm the FA and shoot them all (obviously) - death to the ballgouersie!

?

And no coconuts - as no transfers are allowed. You have to pick the team from whoever was born in your town, and that's it. Otherwise it's just cheating and you'll never find out just which place is the best footballing town

Archived