Motorhoming

Day

12 minutes ago, David said:

Dalby Forest did cross my mind, went there for Go Ape, didn't really explore much but Googling later theres a fair bit to explore with walking and on the bike. Fancied somewhere different but then we haven't kinda done this properly yet. Just not sure theres enough for the week. 

There is loads to do around there. I go up there every year. Great beaches for dogs at Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick and Sandsend. Walks around Goathland, Ruswarp, Falling Foss and the Cleveland Way along the coast.

Steam trains inc Harry Potter station and Bram Stoker stuff at Whitby.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sage said:

There is loads to do around there. I go up there every year. Great beaches for dogs at Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick and Sandsend. Walks around Goathland, Ruswarp, Falling Foss and the Cleveland Way along the coast.

Steam trains inc Harry Potter station and Bram Stoker stuff at Whitby.

This is why I wanted a motorhome, to explore, you see if the missus gets a lodge with a hot tub the car will not move, I will be able to drag her out for a walk, maybe even an hour bike ride but the car is a no go unless we're talking 5 minutes down the road. Literally 5 minutes for some chocolate.

1 minute ago, David said:

This is why I wanted a motorhome, to explore, you see if the missus gets a lodge with a hot tub the car will not move, I will be able to drag her out for a walk, maybe even an hour bike ride but the car is a no go unless we're talking 5 minutes down the road. Literally 5 minutes for some chocolate.

Of course you could learn to drive.

?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Of course you could learn to drive.

You see people keep saying this like I don't know how to drive, I do, I just haven't got the piece of paper to say I can.

Once I have that piece of paper it's

"Can you drop me off down Cleethorpes and pick me up later"

"I'll drive to Derby, you drive back"

Great tactics really, best of all in mates cars I always bag the front passenger seat for my long legs. 

I will do it eventually, just waiting for Tesla's prices to drop and we travel around like the Jetson's

On 24/07/2018 at 18:21, David said:

Anyone hired one before and hit the road?

Missus has a week off in November, wants a lodge in the middle of nowhere with a hot tub. Told her no, we’ve got a bath at home and a bunch of fields behind her.

My idea is renting one, hitting the road and see where we end up, no plans other than rough idea of where to aim for, London, South Coast, through the tunnel into France, back out Cornwall area, into Wales, up to the Lake District down to the Midlands to watch Derby then home.

6ft 3” so a bit worried it will be a week of hell if the weathers crap. Did a week on the Norfolk Broads on a boat, kept waking up with my toes in me mates gob it was that cramped.

Can you just park up anywhere legal or do you have to use camp sites, how long does the power last without hooking up, the toilet? How often does that need flushing out. 

Seen a couple for £400, probably stop in b&b’s for that by time you add petrol, tunnel and camp costs. Just fancy doing something a bit different, strap the bikes to the back of it and a bit of freedom.

Got the dog as well you see.

In a week? You'll need a Ferrari, not a camper.

Cornwall is a great place to explore in November, but it does rain a lot. If you are lucky with the weather you might get a week of 'T-shirt' days. But you are more likely to get seven days of fog and horizontal rain. Although Cornwall is never tourist free, in November you can at least park and visit some of the popular places without queuing for three hours.

You can get a ferry from St Malo in Brittany to Plymouth. It takes about ten hours and costs a fortune though.

I had a spare 10 minutes David, and as you do so much for us I thought I'd work out a rough itinerary for your motorhome trip in November.

Round trip from Grimsby calling in at Dover, Calais, Roscoff, Plymouth, Cardiff, Kendal, Derby and back home, is about 1300 miles.  Roughly £150 of diesel at 55mpg (that might be ambitious depending on how fast your missus drives).

Presuming no hold ups on the motorways, total driving time is about 26 hours. Might be a bit longer if rain, snow or roadworks hold you up but that's pretty unlikely on the M5/M6.

Ferry crossings in November (presuming no winter storms) are £70 Dover to Calais, and £185 Roscoff to Plymouth, including the dog and a bike.

All in all that's a week's holiday for two plus dog for £420 plus food and motorhome rental (say £380)  - £800 plus food and expenses all in.  You might need a bit extra for spends and you might need a bit longer than a week off to fit everything in - think of all the sightseeing you could do while she drives you around.

I can't see how she wouldn't go for it when the option is to sit in a lodge with a hot tub and widescreen TV with you sitting by a fishing peg.

26 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

£800 plus food and expenses all in.

That's ridiculously expensive for a week in a van.

Surely the whole point of the exercise is that it's significantly cheaper than paying for accommodation, which enables you to stay in places, and for longer, that you wouldn't normally afford. I do 5 weeks in Dorset and Cornwall for that sort of money. 

1 minute ago, Lambchop said:

Surely the whole point of the exercise is that it's significantly cheaper than paying for accommodation, which enables you to stay in places, and for longer, that you wouldn't normally afford. I do 5 weeks in Dorset and Cornwall for that sort of money. 

The whole point of the exercise is exploring this country, if it was cost I would be looking at going abroad and be done with it.

Whilst I’m not going to say money is no object, watching the pennies is not the primary goal with this holiday.

Paid a disgusting amount to stay in a lodge down Ashbourne in February, it’s England, nowt is cheap.

And I’m struggling to get the missus on board with a week in a motorhome, 5 weeks sleeping in the back of a rented Transit down Dorset just ain’t gonna fly with her or her boss.

45 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Yeah, but you don't go Dorset and Cornwall via Dover and Roscoff, which David wanted to.  And you own your own van so you don't have to rent one.  Take those costs out and you're just down to petrol money plus spends.  You could lend him your van............

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

I had a spare 10 minutes David, and as you do so much for us I thought I'd work out a rough itinerary for your motorhome trip in November.

Round trip from Grimsby calling in at Dover, Calais, Roscoff, Plymouth, Cardiff, Kendal, Derby and back home, is about 1300 miles.  Roughly £150 of diesel at 55mpg (that might be ambitious depending on how fast your missus drives).

Presuming no hold ups on the motorways, total driving time is about 26 hours. Might be a bit longer if rain, snow or roadworks hold you up but that's pretty unlikely on the M5/M6.

Ferry crossings in November (presuming no winter storms) are £70 Dover to Calais, and £185 Roscoff to Plymouth, including the dog and a bike.

All in all that's a week's holiday for two plus dog for £420 plus food and motorhome rental (say £380)  - £800 plus food and expenses all in.  You might need a bit extra for spends and you might need a bit longer than a week off to fit everything in - think of all the sightseeing you could do while she drives you around.

I can't see how she wouldn't go for it when the option is to sit in a lodge with a hot tub and widescreen TV with you sitting by a fishing peg.

That doesn't involve going to Cornwall though. 

It also doesn't include any site fees. It is possible to park overnight in car parks and laybyes at the risk of passers by interrupting your activities, but you'll still need to find somewhere to empty the chemical toilet, take on fresh water and maybe grab a proper shower.

6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

That doesn't involve going to Cornwall though. 

It also doesn't include any site fees. It is possible to park overnight in car parks and laybyes at the risk of passers by interrupting your activities, but you'll still need to find somewhere to empty the chemical toilet, take on fresh water and maybe grab a proper shower.

David (or more accurately, his missus) will leave Plymouth and go along the A38 to Bodmin before hanging right along the A30 to join the M5. Long way round and not much time in Cornwall, granted, but Cornwall visited. 

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

David like Cornwall, it sells his favourite drink.

cider!

Tramp.

Never been. Prefer the cooler weather, Cornwall in the summer holds no interest. Be rude not to check it out whilst I’m around. 

9 minutes ago, David said:

Tramp.

Never been. Prefer the cooler weather, Cornwall in the summer holds no interest. Be rude not to check it out whilst I’m around. 

Always rains when I go.

And they talk funny.

Archived