World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

I wonder if the occasion (the tournament) is too much for 2 or 3 of our “big” names. 

You don’t get to be a regular for City, United & Spurs if you are ordinary but Sterling, Lindgard and Alli all seem to be panicking to me, I’d sub any of them for a more confident Rashford who doesn’t seem as fazed as any of the above to secure this game.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweden not found a way to attack England, mostly because England is well organized and close them down quickly.  Was a bit concerned for England when i saw how slow the tempo was, but it seems to be working so far.  i expect tactical changes from Sweden, if their boss knows what he's doing

5 minutes ago, David said:

Take Sterling off please.

4 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

duck me, he really is poo.

4 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Sterling again. Not really sure what he adds to this team.  I think he is significantly overrated. 

Bit harsh imo. I think he's had an incredible season and no, it's not going well for him, but he's the Robin to Kane's Batman

Like Rio just said, he drops into the hole when England want to relieve pressure with a long ball to Kane. And when Kane drops in to be the pivot then Sterling offers the ball in behind. 

I think Southgate will know he's not playing well but their relationship is pulling the boring Swedes all over the place. 

Think it's the example of the best players don't always make the best team. The dynamic of Kane and Sterling is better than that between two better players. 

Not that there are any players better than King Kane 

Just now, Alpha said:

Bit harsh imo. I think he's had an incredible season and no, it's not going well for him, but he's the Robin to Kane's Batman

Like Rio just said, he drops into the hole when England want to relieve pressure with a long ball to Kane. And when Kane drops in to be the pivot then Sterling offers the ball in behind. 

I think Southgate will know he's not playing well but their relationship is pulling the boring Swedes all over the place. 

Think it's the example of the best players don't always make the best team. The dynamic of Kane and Sterling is better than that between two better players. 

You’d Argue that Rashford could also play that role though, with a better consistency and end product 

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

You wonder how fit Alli is though. Clearly he’s carrying an injury.

Not sure what Lingard is up to.

Sterling has a monkey on his back - he just needs a goal. Probably one that bounces off his backside and goes in.

Think Lingard is the support act. England seem to try to draw pressure on the back 3. The wing backs go wide, Henderson drops in. Kane and Sterling rotate and then there's plenty of long and short options while Lingard and Alli are just asked to support the receiver. 

That's how it looks to me. 

Lingard doesn't seem to have had an opportunity to shine. You can't really say he's been good or bad can you? 

Still funny that he left us and went straight to the top!!

1 minute ago, Derbados said:

You’d Argue that Rashford could also play that role though, with a better consistency and end product 

Rashford doesn't come deep really though, doesn't carry the ball much to transition the play. 

Sterling is really important, and is having a really good game. Sure you'd want him to finish those chances and have made a better decision in that one instance but that doesn't detract from the work he's done.

Dele Alli is getting no negative attention and yet is having a thoroughly abysmal game. 

3 minutes ago, Derbados said:

I'll be honest I've not seen a massive amount of Rashford beyond MOTD highlights. 

Can he play like that then? You'd expect to see a change soonish then

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He couldn’t even finish his dinner.

This is my Dier moment, let me be.

Archived