Lightning Storm

1of4

Sat watching the sky light up south of Derby.  The lightning must still be a way off as I've just started hearing the rumble of thunder but with the amount of flashers and how bright they are, the storm must be hugh.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife dragged me out of bed to see. But there was no fork lightning. That’s always the exciting bit. Just sheet lightning. So I went back to sleep. 

She said it’s the storms we saw when we were in the jungle. I said yeah, so I’ve seen it, and better, I’m going back to bed. 

5 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Sat watching the sky light up south of Derby.  The lightning must still be a way off as I've just started hearing the rumble of thunder but with the amount of flashers and how bright they are, the storm must be hugh.

Someone should tell Hugh that’s illegal 

If you're interested in lightning, watching storms etc, this is a pretty good link...

https://www.lightningmaps.org

When there are thunderstorms in the area, you can monitor all the lightning strikes/flashes in real time. If you have the map zoomed in a little, then each flash is registered, and a circle grows centred on the strike at 343 m/s. You can centre the map on your own location, then amaze your friends* by saying 'bang' half a second before they hear the thunder.

*Although if you are a proper nerd for this sort of stuff, like I am, then of course you don't have any friends.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

If you're interested in lightning, watching storms etc, this is a pretty good link...

https://www.lightningmaps.org

When there are thunderstorms in the area, you can monitor all the lightning strikes/flashes in real time. If you have the map zoomed in a little, then each flash is registered, and a circle grows centred on the strike at 343 m/s. You can centre the map on your own location, then amaze your friends* by saying 'bang' half a second before they hear the thunder.

*Although if you are a proper nerd for this sort of stuff, like I am, then of course you don't have any friends.

Doesn’t work, I just went out in the garden and flashed but nothing registered

2 hours ago, David said:

Doesn’t work, I just went out in the garden and flashed but nothing registered

Couldn't have been big enough

Archived