Sell George Thorne?

BatRam

Now that he is match fit, could this be the season we sell George Thorne? Doesnt really bring much to the team, very slow and isnt as good as any of the other midfielders. Hes 25 so will still be worth a bit of money. 

Had some great moments in a Derby shirt but i feel we could get some money for him and invest in someone younger and better.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TomSaint said:

Now that he is match fit, could this be the season we sell George Thorne? Doesnt really bring much to the team, very slow and isnt as good as any of the other midfielders. Hes 25 so will still be worth a bit of money. 

Had some great moments in a Derby shirt but i feel we could get some money for him and invest in someone younger and better.

Who'd buy him?

Given his track record, I can't see anyone offering anything approaching £1m, and for that money I'd rather get a pre season into him and see how it goes from there.

Wouldn't get anything for him at the moment. Hasn't played well since coming back from injury, and no one would take the risk on a player after a serious injury with little signs of improvement.Maybe he'll come back from pre season as the old George, but there's no guarantees and i would say that looks quite unlikely at the moment.

8 minutes ago, TomSaint said:

He's a fantastic player...

But,he absolutely doesn't work in Gary's system,he's not getting game time and therefore isn't match sharp,fit or probably,properly motivated either.

Steve will have him at QPR at the right price,be sure of that.

Sigh... George has been a very good player for us and before his injury was considered the best defensive midfielder in the Championship by neutrals.

If he is still carrying an injury he certainly won't be sold, and other clubs will see him as a big risk. Hopefully, he will be fully fit and back to his best for us next season.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Who'd buy him?

Given his track record, I can't see anyone offering anything approaching £1m, and for that money I'd rather get a pre season into him and see how it goes from there.

We'd have to sell him for a considerable loss, considering his wages. 

I hope QPR sign him and Martin. It would be a really good move for them. 

2 minutes ago, KCG said:

Sigh... George has been a very good player for us and before his injury was considered the best defensive midfielder in the Championship by neutrals.

If he is still carrying an injury he certainly won't be sold, and other clubs will see him as a big risk. Hopefully, he will be fully fit and back to his best for us next season.

What's the sigh for.

It's not just neutrals who considered him that way, but a lot of Derby fans.

Like you, I hope he can put his injuries behind him and play a full part next season, and I certainly wouldn't palm him off cheap.

Not when there's such an upside to him finding himself again.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

What's the sigh for.

It's not just neutrals who considered him that way, but a lot of Derby fans.

Like you, I hope he can put his injuries behind him and play a full part next season, and I certainly wouldn't palm him off cheap.

Not when there's such an upside to him finding himself again.

Absolutely the best midfielder we have,once fit,in fact,even when he's not....

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We'd have to sell him for a considerable loss, considering his wages. 

I hope QPR sign him and Martin. It would be a really good move for them. 

Can you imagine if you'd posted that after the play off final in 2014.

We'd have hunted you down and dragged you through the streets of Derby tied to a car bumper, before leaving your body on display outside the council house as a warning!

Now it won't even warrant a crying emoji!☹️

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

We'd have hunted you down and dragged you through the streets of Derby tied to a car bumper, before leaving your body on display outside the council house as a warning!

I'm sure KCG will supply one.

Edit....lol,you really are quite the one aren't you squire..is it some kind of OCD,KCG?

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm sure KCG will supply one.

You obviously didn't read my comment, or are you trying to upset me? If it's the latter you're not in my league, so don't waste your time.

As i said in the original post , used to be good. But hes not even as good as Ledley or Huddlestone or johnson. Id say Hanson and maybe Elsnik will probably be about on par with him also and theyre aint injury risks

I like the lad but hes to much of a risk and doesnt add anything extra.

19 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Haha, well, I'm stuck in 2014 and the thought of losing Thorne & Martin kills me. Neither of them have a future here under Rowett, though. Similarly how Weimann didn't have a future under McClaren. Weimann going into next season will be a key player for us. The other two, and many others, won't even be here. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Haha, well, I'm stuck in 2014 and the thought of losing Thorne & Martin kills me. Neither of them have a future here under Rowett, though. Similarly how Weimann didn't have a future under McClaren. Weimann going into next season will be a key player for us. The other two, and many others, won't even be here. 

That's a depressing thought.

I'd give you the crying face, but it seems to have been highjacked.

Surely it's cheaper to pay off one manager than two good players?

What gets on my goat is that every midfielder we have has to be and play like a defensive midfielder! Let’s do something radical and play a proper 442 with two combining forwards and midfielders who support them

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

What gets on my goat is that every midfielder we have has to be and play like a defensive midfielder! Let’s do something radical and play a proper 442 with two combining forwards and midfielders who support them

Very much so ,, we need a midfield ,

Archived