Abject stupidity

eddie

So I took delivery of a new laptop today, and at the same time got a new radio mouse (some games are awkward to play using just a trackpad).

After the usual dozen restarts and transferring a few single-user licences to the new machine, I decided to test out the new mouse.

So I turned off the trackpad - yes, you read that correctly - I TURNED OFF THE TRACKPAD - and plugged the new mouse in to a USB port. I thought for a moment about what I had done as the self-install ran, reassuring myself that all would be well - and yes, you've guessed - the new mouse didn't work. Only now, of course, the trackpad was turned off.

After a frantic 5 minute search, I found an old mechanical mouse (with the old ball in the bottom) in the bottom of a drawer in my desk which must be 20 years old if it's a day, and it still worked, so I was able to toggle the trackpad on again.

I am now officially senile.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, eddie said:

So I took delivery of a new laptop today, and at the same time got a new radio mouse (some games are awkward to play using just a trackpad).

After the usual dozen restarts and transferring a few single-user licences to the new machine, I decided to test out the new mouse.

So I turned off the trackpad - yes, you read that correctly - I TURNED OFF THE TRACKPAD - and plugged the new mouse in to a USB port. I thought for a moment about what I had done as the self-install ran, reassuring myself that all would be well - and yes, you've guessed - the new mouse didn't work. Only now, of course, the trackpad was turned off.

After a frantic 5 minute search, I found an old mechanical mouse (with the old ball in the bottom) in the bottom of a drawer in my desk which must be 20 years old if it's a day, and it still worked, so I was able to toggle the trackpad on again.

Trumps fault?

I went into the bathroom the other evening to look for something and as a matter of habit turned the light on. Only the light was already on so I actually turned it off. Instead of turning it back on I proceeded to shuffle around in the dark for a minute or so to find what I was looking for.

Only when I had turned the light back on on the way out did I realise what I had done.

28 minutes ago, eddie said:

I don't even know what your on about.

Mouse's balls?

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I don't even know what your on about.

Mouse's balls?

In the olden days, a computer mouse used to be a mechanical device which generated signals based upon how a small ball embedded in the bottom of the mouse used to roll as you moved it. On a mousemat, no less.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

In the olden days, a computer mouse used to be a mechanical device which generated signals based upon how a small ball embedded in the bottom of the mouse used to roll as you moved it. On a mousemat, no less.

Olden days?

thats sounds pretty advanced. I'm still using a tele for a monitor and saving to a tape recorder.

2 minutes ago, Moist One said:

did you have a shortcut on a function key?

I spent about 20 minutes looking - no keyboard shortcut to toggle the mousepad found (I tried Fn + Fkeys, Ctrl + Fkeys, Alt + Fkeys, Ctrl + Fn + Fkeys, Alt + Fn + Fkeys, Ctrl + Alt + Fn + Fkeys until I ran out of fingers). Been through about 5 pages of W10 shortcuts, Dell shortcuts etc. Now I have a workable mouse I have had a bit of a play - can't remember who it was suggesting 'turn it off and on again' but that doesn't have any effect of course (otherwise any settings would restore to default values every time you rebooted).

Not wasting any more time on it - just never going anywhere without a spare mouse again.

26 minutes ago, eddie said:

I spent about 20 minutes looking - no keyboard shortcut to toggle the mousepad found (I tried Fn + Fkeys, Ctrl + Fkeys, Alt + Fkeys, Ctrl + Fn + Fkeys, Alt + Fn + Fkeys, Ctrl + Alt + Fn + Fkeys until I ran out of fingers). Been through about 5 pages of W10 shortcuts, Dell shortcuts etc. Now I have a workable mouse I have had a bit of a play - can't remember who it was suggesting 'turn it off and on again' but that doesn't have any effect of course (otherwise any settings would restore to default values every time you rebooted).

Not wasting any more time on it - just never going anywhere without a spare mouse again.

FullSizeRender+%25284%2529.jpg

7 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Couldn't you just press the windows key then keep pressing tab key to get to control panel then to the right setting?

Nope. Although I could get into the control panel and from there to the trackpad using cursor keys, I was unable to find any key that would toggle the setting back on. I'm sure there will be a method - just not found it.

16 minutes ago, Moist One said:

FullSizeRender+%25284%2529.jpg

Different keyboard layout. My F6 is a right-shift/fast forward (which is a little unexpected, especially as it is an ultra-thin lappy which doesn't have a built-in DVD drive). My first thought after shooting myself in the trackpad was to check all the Fn keys.

Archived