British woman taking drugs into egypt.

Sith Happens

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41950987

A british woman is in court today in egypt for taking pain killers into egypt.

Her penalty if found guilty could be 25 years or the death penalty.

When i first read this a week or so ago i thought it sounded harsh, these tablets tramadol are pain killers you can get on prescription here. But reading into it it seems they are illegal in many other places and the number one recreational drug in egypt.

Someone else got them for her and she claims she didnt know what they were, but that they were for her partner who is egyptian because of a back problem he has. She is supposed to be married to him and visits him 2 -4 times a year.

The cynical part of me thinks hes behind it and was intending to either sell them on or whatever and she probably naively went along with it, and that hes probably got how many other 'partners' who do the same sort of things for him.

But ignorance is no excuse, even if they were intended for him for back pains, if its an illegal drug its illegal regardless?

Im usually of the view its tough, if you break the law its your own fault but cant help but feel this woman needs a slap on the wrist and then come home and re-assess her so called relationship with a man who would happily put her in this position, he must have known they were illegal even if its was for his back pain.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gritters said:

A couple of questions that come to mind are :

Were these obtained through prescription in the UK? 

What are the alternatives in Egypt? 

If I'm going on holiday I check to see if I can take paracetamol into the country I'm going to.

They were obtained on prescription but from a friend they say.

I agree about checking, I always take proof that tablets im prescibed are actually prescribed to me.

I dont think she is as innocent as shes making out, but i sort of buy she thought she was taking them for him, but dont buy that he couldnt get whatever he needed for pain relief over there.

17 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

They were obtained on prescription but from a friend they say.

I agree about checking, I always take proof that tablets im prescibed are actually prescribed to me.

I dont think she is as innocent as shes making out, but i sort of buy she thought she was taking them for him, but dont buy that he couldnt get whatever he needed for pain relief over there.

I think the biggest crime committed here is the doctor who wrote out a prescription to someone that clearly didn't need the tablets. No wonder things get abused. The next thing is did the person who got the tramadol pay for the prescription? Also are these tablets more expensive than the cost of a prescription? 

I think there needs to be an arrest in this country too.

4 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think the biggest crime committed here is the doctor who wrote out a prescription to someone that clearly didn't need the tablets. No wonder things get abused. The next thing is did the person who got the tramadol pay for the prescription? Also are these tablets more expensive than the cost of a prescription? 

I think there needs to be an arrest in this country too.

And who manages to get hold of 300 tablets they dont really need?

Just now, Paul71 said:

Apparantly she was due to appear in court today hoping for bail but its been cancelled and she has been told she will face a trial:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41950987

Is it a crime to be a daft cow?

Apart from that I really don't get how an Egyptian national is able to get drugs on prescription from the UK NHS. 

Just now, HantsRam said:

Is it a crime to be a daft cow?

Apart from that I really don't get how an Egyptian national is able to get drugs on prescription from the UK NHS. 

Hes not, they werent prescribed to him.

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

So they were prescribed to her? What's wrong with her?

No thats what makes it worse, they were obtained by a 'friend' of hers so not prescribed to either of them.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

She will be out in a year or two.

Unless Boris puts a word in for her of course :o

Ha you can just imagine it. Boris says 'Shes a drugs mule, has been smuggling drugs all over the world since she was 16, lock her up for life", after which he says "Sorry i could have explained that better, what i meant was she is totally innocent, please let her go now"

Archived