What are the reasons to keep faith in Rowett?

Bris Vegas

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, David said:

Keith sounds like one of missing parts that this 'team' is crying out for. A deal lined up to sign on January 1st would be no bad thing. 

Nobody rushed to get Eustace printed on the back of their shirts either.

A missing part in a machine that won't play football. The Brum fans say his passing skills are poor. So, another Weimann, lots of running.

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I normally agree with most of what you say mac but we may as well stay the distance with Rowett and give him the full two year stint, why? He has a different remit in that he has to remove players from the club which is very difficult to do whilst adjusting the playing staff.

Removing Hughes, Ince and Bryson was easy! Removing Martin (whatever ninos says) will be easy if he wants out. That doesn't seem too difficult. What would be more difficult is replacing them.

Nope I've seen the way the ball is being kicked and Rowetts 'football' isn't for me. Plus can you imagine how bad we'd look in the Prem. If we think Jimmy Jewell looked bad...

21 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The job is significant because he's making it significant. The way he wants to play suits pretty much none of the current squad, and it doesn't suit half of the players he has signed either. If he was trying to (for example), play the way Wassall tried to get us playing - still playing out from the back, but mixing it up a little bit more when it made sense to - we would need to replace a hell of a lot less of the current squad, and the performances would likely be much better in the short term.

I don't necessarily disagree, but for me that's part of giving him some time to sort it out.  Let's see if he can get them playing to their strengths rather than assuming he can't/ won't and getting in somebody else with their own philosophy and who would need time as well to shape a team in own their image.  

Anyway, you never know perhaps the poor performances are really just down to the opposition having really good days... :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

A missing part in a machine that won't play football. The Brum fans say his passing skills are poor. So, another Weimann, lots of running.

Football is football, don't like the style fine but it's still football.

How Rowett wants to play we need those legs in midfield that will run around a lot, put a foot and and win the ball back. Right now we have nobody that will do that which is why you see 80% possession.

By all accounts Keith is that kind of player, will run all game long, press, harass, break up play, stick a boot in. 

No point wishing on this creative technical player you're after, the same problems will exist, we won't have the ball to do anything with.

We need to win the ball, simple stuff.

47 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We simply have to give him three more transfer windows but it's currently like chewing a wasp 

No we simply don't. He has to deliver on this high intensity, pressing football that moves through the thirds of the pitch quickly with devastating effect, that he spoke so wonderfully about, rather than us sitting 25 yards out allowing the opposition all the time in the world to play it around us eventually pulling us out of position... 

32 minutes ago, David said:

Keith sounds like one of missing parts that this 'team' is crying out for. A deal lined up to sign on January 1st would be no bad thing. 

Nobody rushed to get Eustace printed on the back of their shirts either.

You say this but if he couldn't realise that a midfielder costing less than a million was the answer to our questions after the end of last season and pre season then why should we trust that he is the missing piece and not a last desperate throw of the dice to get some mobility in the middle of the park... 

He had so much more time to prepare than other managers who have taken over in the summer and he has developed nothing in terms of playing style or identity. He has raised the age of our squad with players that honestly I don't think we'd miss if they were injured (Davies/Huddlestone). They might have been good value in terms of cost but for the football he wants they were not good value for us. 

Sick and tired of us chopping and changing managers but it isn't too much to expect the team to be showing signs of what he wants from them?! Instead its dour, horrendous football followed by 'they're not doing whats asked of them' in post match interviews. Well guess who's job it is to get them to buy into your ideas Gary! It ain't ours! 

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Removing Hughes, Ince and Bryson was easy! Removing Martin (whatever ninos says) will be easy if he wants out. That doesn't seem too difficult. What would be more difficult is replacing them.

Nope I've seen the way the ball is being kicked and Rowetts 'football' isn't for me. Plus can you imagine how bad we'd look in the Prem. If we think Jimmy Jewell looked bad...

We don't need 2 worry about the Prem more like League 1 ?

1 minute ago, David said:

How Rowett wants to play we need those legs in midfield that will run around a lot, put a foot and and win the ball back. Right now we have nobody that will do that which is why you see 80% possession.

By all accounts Keith is that kind of player, will run all game long, press, harass, break up play, stick a boot in. 

No point wishing on this creative technical player you're after, the same problems will exist, we won't have the ball to do anything with.

What are Huddlestone, Johnson for, if there are not pressing, breaking up play harass etc?

We currently have a midfield empty on quality, any midfielder that is gifted enough to play in the championship is capable of puting sticking the boot and doing the above, but there are few that can actually create from the midfield.

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

You say this but if he couldn't realise that a midfielder costing less than a million was the answer to our questions after the end of last season and pre season then why should we trust that he is the missing piece and not a last desperate throw of the dice to get some mobility in the middle of the park... 

He had so much more time to prepare than other managers who have taken over in the summer and he has developed nothing in terms of playing style or identity. He has raised the age of our squad with players that honestly I don't think we'd miss if they were injured (Davies/Huddlestone). They might have been good value in terms of cost but for the football he wants they were not good value for us. 

That's not something any of us can answer, the difficulties in this window have been well documented. For all we know Rowett may have had a list of 5 players for this position, some simply not available, others too expensive, the likes of Keith we had to wait on. Who knows?

Think it's easy to throw panic buy's and last roll of the dices out there but without knowing we don't know.

Claimed we looked at Ledley earlier in the summer, was it decided he's not quite those legs we need, opted to wait on others, again, can only guess.

4 minutes ago, David said:

So we win the ball then what? We don't have any creativity in this team. I said just 2 weeks ago that Rowett needs the whole season and we can't just keep changing managers but the performances are so poor and we have gone backwards,we look like a bang average side at best with no style or game plan It's worse than under Pearson.

Just now, toddy said:

What are Huddlestone, Johnson for, if there are not pressing, breaking up play harass etc?

If Rowett expected Huddlestone to be covering ground then we have bigger problems than we think. He's not that type of player. 

Bradley Johnson wasn't a Rowett signing, can't really place any blame on him for that.

1 minute ago, David said:

If Rowett expected Huddlestone to be covering ground then we have bigger problems than we think. He's not that type of player. 

Bradley Johnson wasn't a Rowett signing, can't really place any blame on him for that.

My point was we Huddlestone is there to break up play, put the boot in and to play a long ball and is Johhson hussle and put the boot in to break up play.

We have a lack of midfielders due to the inept way the club managed the transfer window, letting Butterfield, Hughes and Bryson go and not replacing with a player with pace, vision hopefully pass a ball was an act of stupidity.!

If a brummie midfielder that is not a great passer of the ball [blues forum] is the answer then we are in more trouble.

Just now, derbydaz22 said:

So we win the ball then what? We don't have any creativity in this team. I said just 2 weeks ago that Rowett needs the whole season and we can't just keep changing managers but the performances are so poor and we have gone backwards,we look like a bang average side at best with no style or game plan It's worse than under Pearson.

This is where our forwards should be earning their crust, we have 4 forward players in front of the midfield, win the ball, release them quickly and hit them where it hurts.

Rowett isn't interesting in passing around in triangles, side to side, trying to cut teams open with 25 passes. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

He's picking him you can blame him for that and I still have no idea why he signed Huddlestone he's not what we needed

5 minutes ago, David said:

That's not something any of us can answer, the difficulties in this window have been well documented. For all we know Rowett may have had a list of 5 players for this position, some simply not available, others too expensive, the likes of Keith we had to wait on. Who knows?

Think it's easy to throw panic buy's and last roll of the dices out there but without knowing we don't know.

Claimed we looked at Ledley earlier in the summer, was it decided he's not quite those legs we need, opted to wait on others, again, can only guess.

For me it doesn't show a manager with a coherent plan. 

He should have had a list of midfield engines, he probably did. 

He should never have let Bryson go until we'd brought in a midfield engine. I've been critical of Bryson but if that's what Rowett is looking for then he's the most suited out of those we'd got on our books already. 

I'd have expected Rowett to have had them at least putting in the levels of energy he expects by now... That's worrying that he hasn't been able to get that from them. 

Can't help thinking that some fans on here are painting themselves into a corner with their intransigent views on Rowett.  Not saying they are wrong, or will be proven wrong, but it amazes me that people can make their minds up just like that and decide enough is enough after what is still a relatively short tenure in the job (the fact that people think 20 games isn't a short tenure is another sign of the madness of the modern football fan).  The list of managers who struggled early on and blossomed later is quite lengthy... unfortunately so is the list of those who weren't given a chance.

By all means, state your worries, concerns and solutions, but why is football opinion so black and white to some people?  Not really the opinion that bothers me, it's the absolutist nature of them.  Bonkers.

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Can't help thinking that some fans on here are painting themselves into a corner with their intransigent views on Rowett.  Not saying they are wrong, or will Ben proven wrong, but it amazes me that people can make their minds up just like that and decide enough is enough after what is still a relatively short tenure in the job (the fact that people think 20 games isn't a short tenure is another sign of the madness of the modern football fan).  The list of managers who struggled early on and blossomed later is quite lengthy... unfortunately as is the list of those who weren't given a chance.

By all means, state your worries, concerns and solutions, but why is football opinion so black and white to some people?

It's the levels of performance that worries me not the points tally.

Archived