Ryan Air cancelling up to 50 flights a day

Sith Happens

http://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-cancelling-40-to-50-flights-a-day-for-six-weeks-11037187

An example of how poorly the aviation industry treats customers.

I think everyone gets flights do get cancelled for unforeseen reasons, but to cancel them at late notice just because you have failed to allow for annual leave is ridiculous. There really should be more measures in place to protect customers.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, David said:

It’s cheap than trains though

Depends where you go and when you book. Also getting to the airport and parking can be very expensive. 

40 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

http://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-cancelling-40-to-50-flights-a-day-for-six-weeks-11037187

An example of how poorly the aviation industry treats customers.

I think everyone gets flights do get cancelled for unforeseen reasons, but to cancel them at late notice just because you have failed to allow for annual leave is ridiculous. There really should be more measures in place to protect customers.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The reason these companies can do things so cheap is to treat people like s****. It's different if you wanted to cancel your flight on Ryanair you would lose the lot. Bear in mind though this is an Irish Company not British.

The problem is they are bloody cheap and I've had flights to Budapest, Krakow, Prague for less than £80 return. That's why I go back to them everytime. 

56 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

There really should be more measures in place to protect customers.

More than there is already? There are quite a lot of protections as it stands.

EU compensation rules for cancelled flights

• Passengers are entitled to assistance and compensation, if the disruption was within an airline's control
  • Airlines have to offer full refunds, paid within seven days, or rebookings for a flight cancelled at short notice
  • In addition, passengers can also claim compensation
  • Cancellation amounts are: 250 euros (£218) for short-haul, 440 euros (£384) for medium-haul and 600 euros (£523) for long-haul
  • Passengers who reach their destination more than three hours late can be compensated from 200 to 600 euros, depending on the length of flights and delay

Of course that's EU law - but what have they ever done for us etc :)

I agree it's annoying, and I'm glad I'm not affected, but that's capitalism for you. You are important to these companies when you are spending your money with them, but not important at all when it comes to protecting their bottom line

It's a pure financial decision - someone has run the numbers and realised that it's cheaper to cancel the flights and pay the compo than miss the punctuality targets and pay the fines. Also cheaper to cancel the flights than pay off staff holidays.

The pay-off is that they stay in business and we get to avail ourselves of more of their cheap flights in the future!

4 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

More than there is already? There are quite a lot of protections as it stands.

EU compensation rules for cancelled flights

• Passengers are entitled to assistance and compensation, if the disruption was within an airline's control
  • Airlines have to offer full refunds, paid within seven days, or rebookings for a flight cancelled at short notice
  • In addition, passengers can also claim compensation
  • Cancellation amounts are: 250 euros (£218) for short-haul, 440 euros (£384) for medium-haul and 600 euros (£523) for long-haul
  • Passengers who reach their destination more than three hours late can be compensated from 200 to 600 euros, depending on the length of flights and delay

Of course that's EU law - but what have they ever done for us etc :)

I agree it's annoying, and I'm glad I'm not affected, but that's capitalism for you. You are important to these companies when you are spending your money with them, but not important at all when it comes to protecting their bottom line

It's a pure financial decision - someone has run the numbers and realised that it's cheaper to cancel the flights and pay the compo than miss the punctuality targets and pay the fines. Also cheaper to cancel the flights than pay off staff holidays.

The pay-off is that they stay in business and we get to avail ourselves of more of their cheap flights in the future!

They do make it very hard to claim. I know I tried once and because it was a technical fault I couldn't. 

I bet Ryan air won't be paying these sums out to all those affected.

7 hours ago, Paul71 said:

They do make it very hard to claim. I know I tried once and because it was a technical fault I couldn't. 

I've never claimed for flights, so I bow to your experience - that is crappy if so. I've claimed many times for late/cancelled trains though and that seems a pretty robust process. Never had any issues

You are probably right though that the Ryanar numbers have taken into account a % of compo claims that they can either wriggle out of, or bank on a certain number of people just not bothering to claim

13 hours ago, Gritters said:

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The reason these companies can do things so cheap is to treat people like s****. It's different if you wanted to cancel your flight on Ryanair you would lose the lot. Bear in mind though this is an Irish Company not British.

The problem is they are bloody cheap and I've had flights to Budapest, Krakow, Prague for less than £80 return. That's why I go back to them everytime. 

Yea, bloody paddies

15 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I had the same issue my flight from Pisa to EMA was delayed by 8 hours due to a technical fault and they refused to issue compensation which is their modus operandi. As the majority of their customers only use them due to the relative cheapness of their prices then this won't make any real impact on their profit margins going forward.

Funny that they had a wheel fall off a plane and suddenly their is a huge backlog of 'staff leave' that they 'forgot' about.

When I was in the industry, questions always came up about some budget airlines maintenance schedules and how they pushed the flying hours to the limit and went over them for recommended maintenance. 

But hey, you get what you pay for, I would never set foot on these 'budget' airlines, as they are always looking to cut costs, then suddenly the wheels fall off...

10 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Funny that they had a wheel fall off a plane and suddenly their is a huge backlog of 'staff leave' that they 'forgot' about.

When I was in the industry, questions always came up about some budget airlines maintenance schedules and how they pushed the flying hours to the limit and went over them for recommended maintenance. 

But hey, you get what you pay for, I would never set foot on these 'budget' airlines, as they are always looking to cut costs, then suddenly the wheels fall off...

Except I guess those who are having their flights cancelled aren't getting what they have paid for.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Except I guess those who are having their flights cancelled aren't getting what they have paid for.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.  The old saying 'you get what you pay for' is what the passengers need to be reminded, everyone knows that the weak laws surrounding travel and refunds allows so called 'budget' airlines to treat passengers as cattle, actually cattle would be treated better...

13 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.  The old saying 'you get what you pay for' is what the passengers need to be reminded, everyone knows that the weak laws surrounding travel and refunds allows so called 'budget' airlines to treat passengers as cattle, actually cattle would be treated better...

Yeah I know. Still think regardless of how much you pay you should get what you have paid for.

For them to be deliberately cancelling flights for failure to manage staff holidays is shocking and there should be some action taken against them.

If I go for a meal and pay 5.00 for steak I know its not going to be top quality but still expect to receive it. 

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

What did you do in the industry? 

I know they have maintenance programmes which would be based upon the manufacturers recommendations for both the planes and engines. I always thought it was down to the pilot to decide if the plane is fit to fly and if the maintenance isn't upto date I'd say it isn't. 

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

May have just been lucky, but I've flown with them a lot. Maybe 40 or 50 times. Never had an issue. I've two flights booked at the moment. One in October, one November. Hopefully they go ahead. 

Same here never have had a problem with them and I hope both of your flights go ahead good luck.

I'm going to Lithuania on 6th October but with different airline though (Wizzair) and know few people who are going that booked with Ryanair, they haven't received the email yet. 

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

What did you do in the industry? 

I started with managing the tour operators relationships in the UK and Europe particular requirements for seat allocation and finished up directing the move to e-ticketing, cross carrier flight coordination* and harmonising of standards and procedures across partner carriers.  I spent a lot of time inside aluminum tubes, airports and hotel rooms.

*basically you could fly from East Midlands to Sydney and it would be one flight number, eg UA245, however the first flight would be - for example - a British Midland flight to Heathrow, a United flight to Los Angeles and an Air New Zealand to Auckland and then a QANTAS to Sydney, you would just have to look for one flight number and your baggage would just get transferred with out you having to keep rechecking it.

2 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

I started with managing the tour operators relationships in the UK and Europe particular requirements for seat allocation and finished up directing the move to e-ticketing, cross carrier flight coordination and harmonising of standards and procedures across partner carriers.  I spent a lot of time inside aluminum tubes, airports and hotel rooms.

It's always interesting to hear from the in side because the account given is never what the companies want you know. 

Archived