Rank these Keepers

Dethorn

17 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Of the 6 keepers named I'd have to say that Scott Carson is the most rank, but Poom wasn't exactly a looker either.

Insert a comma.... Rank, These Keepers that's the thread you were looking for 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

We had Peter Shilton who holds the record for playing for England with a 120 something caps and should have been nearer 200 but for some reason had to alternate games between him and Ray Clemence. In the qualifiers for the 1990 world cup it was Shilton that almost single handed got England to the world cup, watch the games if you can to see what i mean and then was the best keeper in those finals.

Having said all that i think Mart Poom was a better keeper, very dominant coming  out to catch balls. Dont know how many games he played for Estonia.

The rest on the list are a much of a muchness, ok but on the the same level as Shilton and Poom.

It was over 100. Pretty much of all of their games from -92 until he retired. I remember him getting the first cap while playing in Finland.

I seem to remember Poom as some kind of superman, but I guess that's what happens to a young mind watching football for the first time. 

I think all the keepers mentioned had really good spells, following it up with some really bad ones. Aside from Carson, who has been nothing short of the conservatives election pledge since signing (strong and stable). 

Bywater, Camp, Grant & Fielding all had outstanding seasons though, that much can't be argued. 

By the time Shilton came to Derby he had so much experience and was in such a class of his own he made goalkeeping look easy. 

I remember watching him pluck balls out of the air and hold firmly in his hands which most keepers would struggle to reach and punch or tip over the bar. When possible Shilton always had his body behind the ball. He had an ability to read the game which keepers today do not have. 

If I had to rate Carson against Shilton, Shilton would be a 10 and Carson just a 3. I am not saying Carson is not a good keeper it is just Shilton would hold balls which Carson would save but not hold.  Saves which Carson makes look spectacular Shilton would save with ease and hold the ball.  

1 hour ago, Raminphilippines said:

By the time Shilton came to Derby he had so much experience and was in such a class of his own he made goalkeeping look easy. 

I remember watching him pluck balls out of the air and hold firmly in his hands which most keepers would struggle to reach and punch or tip over the bar. When possible Shilton always had his body behind the ball. He had an ability to read the game which keepers today do not have. 

If I had to rate Carson against Shilton, Shilton would be a 10 and Carson just a 3. I am not saying Carson is not a good keeper it is just Shilton would hold balls which Carson would save but not hold.  Saves which Carson makes look spectacular Shilton would save with ease and hold the ball.  

With Shelton vying with Clemence for the England spot, I always thought it a travesty Shilts didn't win more caps. Never thought Clemence was as good, decent though he very much was. Shilton one of the best. Remember how upset he was with a SMALL section of our fans giving him stick. Shocking 

9 minutes ago, SKRam said:

With Shelton vying with Clemence for the England spot, I always thought it a travesty Shilts didn't win more caps. Never thought Clemence was as good, decent though he very much was. Shilton one of the best. Remember how upset he was with a SMALL section of our fans giving him stick. Shocking 

He was upset after one game, where he deservedly got some stick.

At the Normanton End at the BBG, he went for a loose ball which he was never going to get, and when he was about half way between the edge of the penalty area and the Popside corner flag(!) decided to turn his back on the ball and head back for his goal area,  giving the unchallenged opponent ample time to put the ball into the box, which thankfully came to nought.

The" SMALL section of fans" was the whole of the Normanton End, plus those in the Ley Stand at that end and those in A Stand. He moaned afterwards, when interviewed, about his treatment, and was firmly reminded that in football, "you are only as good as your last game".

33 minutes ago, SKRam said:

I remember Shilton getting stick from our supporters, somethings never change. At the time I put that down to them not being able to see how good he was because he made it look easy. What hope have our players today got of pleasing some of the whingers, when they even used to whinge when we had the best goalkeeper in the world. 

9 hours ago, Dethorn said:

I think we at Derby have been quite blessed with Goalkeepers since the mid 90's so I thought I would like to gauge what everyone else thinks. I will collate the results to the best of my ability at the end. But could you rate all of these goalkeepers out of 5. I would prefer an N/A if you cannot remember them or did not see them.

Mart Poom

Stephen Bywater

Lee Grant

Lee Camp

Frank Fielding

Scott Carson

Many Thanks

1) Poom

2) Poom with a minor injury

3) Poom just about able to move

4) The also rans.

Archived