Rowett: "We want to make one more signing.."

RoyMac5

7 minutes ago, Sir Ramalot said:

I'm afraid GR maybe as initially feared - out of his depth.... sorry but facts point to this.... we needed a strong start this season and it's poor to hear one addition.....and that isn't guaranteed 

Nothing in life is guaranteed except....you know what.

It sounds to me like a message is being sent deliberately....to Derby fans for a start...that previous expectations may not be fulfilled.

It may also be a message to clubs and player managers of targets:that we're serious about no longer being a club that panic buys and overpays; that we'll walk away if necessary.

That only works, of course, if it's not a bluff and we are prepared to walk away and wear the consequences, whatever they may be.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, archied said:

Was at the game today ,,,, jeez are we poor ,

russell is gonna come in for real stick this season simply because he is right up there among our best performers ,, I kid you not , you could debate his pro s and cons when we had better players but when he is among your best performers you realise he is not a good enough player to be in a promotion side ( and I like Russell) ,

one or two incoming will not transform us into contenders either and going with the players we have will see us closer to relegation than promotion 

I really don't know what kind of a team we are supposed to be and I don't think the players do either , there was one glaring point just before half time when had a couple of players try to press their right back and the rest of the team dropped deep and it was clear  confusion reigned,

we simply have NO midfield either , I hate to name single players but my God jono is awful ,, he can't pass a ball ,,6mill we paid??? Butterfield will never be better than mid table championship player and he will have to raise his game consistently to maintain that level,

stronger at the back was the straw I was clutching at before kick off ?? Oh no ,, they made us look stupid , cut us open with ease ,,,we are not a well organised counter attack team neither are we a high pressing high energy team and we certainly are not a passing position side anymore ,'

some will call this an over reaction ,, fair play to them but we are a mess ,, we are right back to the jewel era ,, we have not passed go and we have not collected £100 ,

if we go into the season with what we have I fear rowett is doomed , the fans will turn very fast with the sale of Hughes and ince a massive factor ,, you could feel it all around you today in the crowd 

Thanks for giving the views from the actual match - beats what you can determine from the sky app.

Some worrying observations tho. Was completely prepared for the imbalances that remain,  but to hear that we look confused is not good. That suggests a coaching problem. I was expecting Gary Rowett would have us organised if unspectacular. 

And if we are building from the back then I expect to see some clean sheets soon.

I had us down for a rather optimistic 15 pts out of the first 5 games, bearing in mind that these looked more winnable than the next 5. Could be we're looking at a poor start to the season.

22 minutes ago, archied said:

Was at the game today ,,,, jeez are we poor ,

russell is gonna come in for real stick this season simply because he is right up there among our best performers ,, I kid you not , you could debate his pro s and cons when we had better players but when he is among your best performers you realise he is not a good enough player to be in a promotion side ( and I like Russell) ,

one or two incoming will not transform us into contenders either and going with the players we have will see us closer to relegation than promotion 

I really don't know what kind of a team we are supposed to be and I don't think the players do either , there was one glaring point just before half time when had a couple of players try to press their right back and the rest of the team dropped deep and it was clear  confusion reigned,

we simply have NO midfield either , I hate to name single players but my God jono is awful ,, he can't pass a ball ,,6mill we paid??? Butterfield will never be better than mid table championship player and he will have to raise his game consistently to maintain that level,

stronger at the back was the straw I was clutching at before kick off ?? Oh no ,, they made us look stupid , cut us open with ease ,,,we are not a well organised counter attack team neither are we a high pressing high energy team and we certainly are not a passing position side anymore ,'

some will call this an over reaction ,, fair play to them but we are a mess ,, we are right back to the jewel era ,, we have not passed go and we have not collected £100 ,

if we go into the season with what we have I fear rowett is doomed , the fans will turn very fast with the sale of Hughes and ince a massive factor ,, you could feel it all around you today in the crowd 

Good post. What I felt around the ground was a combination of utter resignation and silent disgust. Taking our only pleasures from the easy chances Wolves missed. And they were easy. We were relatively fit though I give Rowett that. But tactics non existent and ability to counter their tactics in game was also non existent. The team seems to have gone overboard with Rowetts shameless encouragement of long passes and long balls (for "variety" sake). They do it at every opportunity and additionally we have not a single player who can take on an opponent. We had three before but they're all gone to better teams. So we get: pass pass pass pass back hoof / long through ball then it's lose the ball win it back and repeat. Mindnumbingly boring to watch.

Wolves players were twice as fast and ten times as skilled with the ball than we were. So that's just personnel.

4 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

After watching the first two games of the season, there seems little point in signing Lawrence as the team appears under instruction not to stray wider than an imaginary line drawn down the pitch in line with the goalposts. 

Absolutely right. Time and again Wolves pinged the ball out wide to a player right on the touchline. We pinged the ball out to .... no-one. We had no width from our forward players. I get that we're trying to have our fullbacks provide the width but they can't always be in an attacking position!

First time I've been to a home game for a while as I say and interested to know when we made the pitch so narrow ? Just an observation but I don't ever remember having so much spare grass beyond touchline at sides of pitch ,,, 

as for big squad full of quality I honestly feel we don't have a single player left who has the confidence or skill to take a man on and beat him or anybody with half decent first touch control ( poss martin first touch  at his best?) so it's a waste of time pinging long balls into channels as no matter how good the ball the chances of it bearing fruit are very slim ,,, all the talk of playing a system that suits the players you have is interesting too as I really can't see what system we can play to make our current crop anything more than mid table or flirting with relegation as for me the championship is very competitive now and the all round standard has risen  ,not just the standard to gain promotion ,

im pretty worried for the future as even the players being touted as targets don't really inspire me 

9 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

Nothing in life is guaranteed except....you know what.

It sounds to me like a message is being sent deliberately....to Derby fans for a start...that previous expectations may not be fulfilled.

It may also be a message to clubs and player managers of targets:that we're serious about no longer being a club that panic buys and overpays; that we'll walk away if necessary.

That only works, of course, if it's not a bluff and we are prepared to walk away and wear the consequences, whatever they may be.

The thing is that he's had an entire pre season and a good part of last season to assess what many fans already knew in that the squad was and is not simply good enough.

in reality is davies any better than what we had? Arguably not.... wisdom versus Christie again arguably not some could say so then leaves with HUD... a different type to Hughes but we have still not addressed the basics of addressing the issues - it's not just a strong work ethic required and anyone can see that... it's creativity and a bit of class with a finishing touch which we severely lack. When you sell a player who has contributed towards circa 25plus goals and you don't replace with at least a like for like if not better then you are always going to struggle. It either shouts out a bit of inexperience on GRs front or it's pressures from elsewhere to sell.... if this is and was the case then surely it would have been better from all at the club to set expectations in a realistic manner. Whilst I don't think an entire overhaul was required it certainly needed freshioning up - our plan a yesterday was scuppered and we have now had four managers on the trot who equally have no plan b, c or d... so is it the managers or a bunch of players that can't adapt? Again if it's the players then my point on addressing some form of freshioning up clearly still stands. I personally just feel really underwhelmed by it all - to be linked with TL whom let's face it is not a TI replacement in any description - his stats for one don't even support this and having one good game against us doesn't make him a world beater does it - Christ if that was the case then we were looking st the world eleven yesterday.... I for one would like to see some innovation, something different, id like to see some actual football being played and using HUD but unfortunately he doesn't have the players around him... anyway still a long way to go and these comments are not a panic in anyway just highlighting my own opinions as simplistic as they are....

Archived