Carabao Cup 2nd Round draw

DEL

47 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

If the price is right i can see few thousand derby fans headimg down to barnsley.

18 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Up

On a train you go up to London and down when moving away from London. So you travel down to Barnsley even when you're going up north.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't sleep (again),but see it's an interesting debate after all:-

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/23545/do-i-travel-up-or-down-to-london-from-north-of-the-city

Loved the bit about always traveling up to Oxford and Cambridge,wherever you start from,and the wag asking what happens when you travel from one to the other.A reference to remembering to use a compass was class too.

Don't know why,but it reminded me of when I shared a hospital ward room with a MENSA (never been bothered with it myself,but by the same token not particularly bothered whenever someone says they're a member) type who caught me out with 'How far can a dog run into a wood?' (still smarting 4 years later). You can meet some interesting types in hospital-this guy was a personal friend of the Cork City owner,who I met when he visited.

Did me a big favour though.I'd had literally thousands of attempts, over more than 40 years, to solve a problem from school days.Described it to the guy and he recognised it straight away as a hoax that couldn't be solved. 

2 hours ago, ramblur said:

Couldn't sleep (again),but see it's an interesting debate after all:-

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/23545/do-i-travel-up-or-down-to-london-from-north-of-the-city

Loved the bit about always traveling up to Oxford and Cambridge,wherever you start from,and the wag asking what happens when you travel from one to the other.A reference to remembering to use a compass was class too.

Don't know why,but it reminded me of when I shared a hospital ward room with a MENSA (never been bothered with it myself,but by the same token not particularly bothered whenever someone says they're a member) type who caught me out with 'How far can a dog run into a wood?' (still smarting 4 years later). You can meet some interesting types in hospital-this guy was a personal friend of the Cork City owner,who I met when he visited.

Did me a big favour though.I'd had literally thousands of attempts, over more than 40 years, to solve a problem from school days.Described it to the guy and he recognised it straight away as a hoax that couldn't be solved. 

So how far can a dog run into a wood?

Still smarting after a couple of hours.

8 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

What happened?

John Salarko did not understand the rules and thought the red balls were an away draw when they were actually a home draw. Brentford out first, then he picks a white ball and say 'home'. Then QPR drawn. SSN show it as a home Brentford game but it was an away game at QPR.

Few panicked looks when he realised after about five draws. 

Trying to be clever and cocked it right up. Did the first draw also go wrong when they did it in Thailand?

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That's us playing the kids and going out to a drab 1-0 then

As positive as ever I see.

Why even bother waiting for the result, let's just start slagging Rowett off now.

8 hours ago, philmycock said:

Never heard such baloney. I've never travelled Up to London, unless it's from Brighton. 

And then it's ap to Landun

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

So how far can a dog run into a wood?

Still smarting after a couple of hours.

Won't spoil it for the others and will reveal all later. I've a feeling this is a MENSA 'old chestnut', and if that's the case I know at least one on here that'll know the answer (though I hope he refrains from answering for a while)

Just now, ramblur said:

Won't spoil it for the others and will reveal all later. I've a feeling this is a MENSA 'old chestnut', and if that's the case I know at least one on here that'll know the answer (though I hope he refrains from answering for a while)

So is half way wrong?

1 hour ago, Dava75 said:

Half way?

Should have looked at this before my last post.Congratulations,you're 4 years smarter than me.

19 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

So is half way wrong?

Must have spent an hour trying to work out something in my head that'd blow the answer out of the water and wipe the smirk off his face.Never thought of 'do all of his feet have to cross the line?',with any possible implications to the answer that I could manipulate in my favour. Not sure that one gets me anywhere in particular,mind.

I see @dog has logged in -he might be able to come up with something:)

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Don't know, but didn't we have a lovely time?

I was just 10 the only time I went,and I think I missed out on the lovely time everyone else seemed to be having:ph34r:

4 hours ago, ramblur said:

Should have looked at this before my last post.Congratulations,you're 4 years smarter than me.

Surely half way into the woods is only half way to the middle, as once it reaches the middle it is running out of the woods? I.e. a quarter of the way through the wood.

i would answer the farthest into he wood a dog could run is halfway through the wood to the middle.

4 hours ago, davenportram said:

Surely half way into the woods is only half way to the middle, as once it reaches the middle it is running out of the woods? I.e. a quarter of the way through the wood.

i would answer the farthest into he wood a dog could run is halfway through the wood to the middle.

Don't really get your drift there,dav. Surely if it ran from a half of the way to the middle to the middle itself,it would still be running into the wood? The full answer was that he could only run into the woods to halfway,because after that he'd be running out of the wood.

8 hours ago, ramblur said:

:D

Archived