GR in the Grauniad...

Ellafella

Good interview, love the way GR talks about football. I think Mel will give him time even if we don't get promoted this season. I think all Mel wants is to see a steady improvement of the team, something that hasn't happened with the previous managers, we've always, eventually gone backwards. I don't count Wassall into this because he was only there to see the season out and steady the ship, which he did.

But I just know come tomorrows game if we don't win, the "experts" on here will be slashing their wrists an complaining why we sold their hero's.

We need to get a grip, GR is right, we are not Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc...we have NO given right to be in the prem, we have to earn it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/08/2017 at 10:08, RadioactiveWaste said:

I just have a feeling that Rowett has Mel's trust more than the others, and Rowett was Mel's man he wanted, as such, the faith will be more.

This I know from nothing.

Totally agree, I think with the other managers recently it was a waiting game for the next manager, it does feel different this time. Whilst I didn't "want" Rowett as manager (no stand out choices and no one tickled my fancy :o) I hope that he is given the time to be judged fairly. 

I like GR and he talks the talk ,he now has to walk the walk as they say .His signings have been good value and the type of players we needed.

If he spends and gets the right players for midfield and wide positions we are in business ,however I don't think we are a top six club as he does with the sale of Hughes and Ince with no quality replacements [yet].

On 02/08/2017 at 19:06, RadioactiveWaste said:

The biggest departures this summer have been Tom Ince and Will Hughes, arguably Derby’s two most talented players, to Huddersfield and Watford respectively. A certain amount of disquiet is understandable but another way of looking at things is that Derby did not get promoted with those players, so in some respects you might as well sell and try something else

Spot on!

On 03/08/2017 at 08:47, oomarkwright said:

Reduce an ageing squad? Then bring in Davies n Hudds!

Them for the same money? Must be around £5m then for Will. 

Can't see why Nige would get some money. He's the manager: it's his job. If true was only about 1%.

Overall, sounded good. Just needs time to trim the squad, n patience from the wrist slashers n constant dialogue n understanding from Mel. Good luck for the season Gazza. 

I don't actually think he was tasked with reducing an ageing squad.

I should imagine his main task was to reduce the squad whilst achieving one that can gain promotion.

Then as with previous coaches make room for the academy players.

Davies n Hudds age isn't a problem as they have shorter contracts and we need their immediate experience.

58 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Spot on!

I can't take credit for the analysis I'm afraid I just copied the text out of the article.

48 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Just wondered is being in the Grauniad a bit like potentially in the s**t.

It's what Private eye Magazine call the Guardian because for a national newspaper it historically had an awful lot of spelling and typing mistakes.

Archived