Earthquake In Aegean

G STAR RAM

Over in Rhodes at the moment and was woken at 1:30am by the bedroom shaking from what turned out to be a 6.7 magnitude earthquake. 

Very scary as our hotel is next to the beach and first thought was 'is a tsunami following'!

Sounds like Kos and Turkey took the brunt of it.

Anybody else experience it?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Over in Rhodes at the moment and was woken at 1:30am by the bedroom shaking from what turned out to be a 6.7 magnitude earthquake. 

Very scary as our hotel is next to the beach and first thought was 'is a tsunami following'!

I'm in Rhodes as well. Same experience as you, room floor going back and forth for 15 seconds and the walls creaking. One or two aftershocks. The locals don't seem too worried, apparantly they had something similar 2 weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Is this a second one in a couple of days? 2 people died in earthquake in Kos on Friday morning according to BBC. 

Must have been very frightening for you all. 

No tried to post this the morning after but Wi-Fi was not working!

Definitely an experience I won't forget in a hurry. 

Was not sure if anyone else had felt anything but after leaving the room there were a lot of people either out on their balconies or making their way to reception.

As @CWC1983 said locals were not concerned, just said go back to bed and enjoy your sleep!

Quite common here apparently but this was a bit bigger than normal.

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I'm in Rhodes as well. Same experience as you, room floor going back and forth for 15 seconds and the walls creaking. One or two aftershocks. The locals don't seem too worried, apparantly they had something similar 2 weeks ago. 

Don't forget the sun tan lotion today...it's another hot one ain't it?!

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

No tried to post this the morning after but Wi-Fi was not working!

Definitely an experience I won't forget in a hurry. 

Was not sure if anyone else had felt anything but after leaving the room there were a lot of people either out on their balconies or making their way to reception.

As @CWC1983 said locals were not concerned, just said go back to bed and enjoy your sleep!

Quite common here apparently but this was a bit bigger than normal.

That part of the world is susceptible. Buildings not really designed for tremors either which is how 2 unfortunate souls died in kos. 

Take care and hope that it hasn't ruined the holiday too much,  although it's bound to live long in the memory :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't forget the sun tan lotion today...it's another hot one ain't it?!

Sure is. 1 week into the holiday and the temperature seems to rising. Around the pool is stifling, but the beach has a nice breeze, and the Mythos is cold. 

Enjoy mate, we all work hard enough at home for the chance to soak up the Aegean sun for a week or two. 

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Sure is. 1 week into the holiday and the temperature seems to rising. Around the pool is stifling, but the beach has a nice breeze, and the Mythos is cold. 

Enjoy mate, we all work hard enough at home for the chance to soak up the Aegean sun for a week or two. 

Whereabouts are you stopping?

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was in turkey when it hit....just got in from the bar when the room started wobbling...reminiscent of our caravan when you haven't put the legs down properly!

Looked outside and the swim up pools had mini tidal waves flowing up and down....

Just round the next bay from Lindos. Vlicha bay I think it's called. Very picturesque and relaxing. 

My Mrs is working her way through the cocktail menu, and my 15 year old lad reckons he's auditioning for love island.......

Where are you? 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

size of an earthquake rarely matters, it's the duration.

A 3.5 earthquake can cause a hell of a lot more damage than a 7.5 if it lasts longer.

Having experienced one, it's quite a surreal feeeling. Hope you guys are OK!

So it is true 'size doesnt matter' :)

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Just round the next bay from Lindos. Vlicha bay I think it's called. Very picturesque and relaxing. 

My Mrs is working her way through the cocktail menu, and my 15 year old lad reckons he's auditioning for love island.......

Where are you? 

We are in Lardos this year.

Had a trip to Pefkos last night.

Got married in Lindos so will be returning there before we go home...to keep the missus happy.

We met in Faliraki many moons ago but that's not back on the agenda yet! 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I was in turkey when it hit....just got in from the bar when the room started wobbling...reminiscent of our caravan when you haven't put the legs down properly!

Looked outside and the swim up pools had mini tidal waves flowing up and down....

That must have been terrifying, knowing 5 minutes earlier and you could have spilt some beer.

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Had Mrs hants just dived in :lol:

Archived