Average Age

REDCAR

Sat here on my sunbed in Cape Verde chatting Derby County with my son.... and figuring out the teams average age... which currently is 27.7.

So many players coming up to 30 and sooooo many 30+. How long can this team stay together?

Carson, Keogh, Shackell, Johnson
Nugent, Bryson, Bent, Baird, Davies

(Huddlestone if he signs)

All 30+

Liking what GR is doing but it's certainly not a team being planned for long term future of the club..? Just hope they have the legs to compete but can't see much pace this season if honest.... just as I was starting to get excited.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem high-ish but not crazy old.

My guess would be that Rowett wants to get together a squad that is something like how he wants his team this window and next then gradually bring in younger players with potential. I doat least think we're being a bit smarter this summer about signings.

GR mentioned in an interview the other week we can't keep rolling out the same players season after season in the hope this will be the season we achieve our goal.... which was refreshing to hear.... so for me irrespective of promotion or not some will lose it completely like Bent and we see yet another over haul in personnel spunking money on players that are on the downward spiral in their careers.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It does seem high-ish but not crazy old.

My guess would be that Rowett wants to get together a squad that is something like how he wants his team this window and next then gradually bring in younger players with potential. I doat least think we're being a bit smarter this summer about signings.

Agree with that to be fair about smarter signings and yeah hopefully some youngsters can get a go!

26 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Sat here on my sunbed in Cape Verde chatting Derby County with my son.... and figuring out the teams average age... which currently is 27.7.

So many players coming up to 30 and sooooo many 30+. How long can this team stay together?

All 30+

Liking what GR is doing but it's certainly not a team being planned for long term future of the club..? Just hope they have the legs to compete but can't see much pace this season if honest.... just as I was starting to get excited.

You've included a GK hitting his prime. 

Shackell, Baird and Bent will be gone this time next year. I think we need more experience, and I'm glad we've added it. A year is a long time in football. We'll probably see 7 out and 5 in at least by this time next year. I honestly don't know what the panic is about.

Some sprinters are reaching their prime at 32-35, tennis players have never been winning slams so old. You don't just reach 30 and get really slow anymore. I'd say a midfielder is good to go until 32-33 and rising. More for defenders. Granted, they might get more injuries. 

Waste of time even worrying about it. 

40 minutes ago, Redcar said:

All 30+

do you seriously think those players you mention will all play in the same team at anyone time of course they wont so please dont go slashing your wrists before the season starts

9 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

do you seriously think those players you mention will all play in the same team at anyone time of course they wont so please dont go slashing your wrists before the season starts

No chance on every point.... ???? I'm no wrist slasher bud.... forever a DCFC optimist. Anyone who travels to Blackburn on a Tuesday evening must be! Lol

My point was more about long term planning. Experience is crucial like when we had Eustace and dare I say Savage.

44 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Is 27.7 really a high average age for a football squad? I kind of doubt it, especially when improved fitness and injury treatment is seeing more and more players play well into there 30s before starting to fade.

No, it's not.

Very, very average.

54 minutes ago, Redcar said:

No chance on every point.... ???? I'm no wrist slasher bud.... forever a DCFC optimist. Anyone who travels to Blackburn on a Tuesday evening must be! Lol

My point was more about long term planning. Experience is crucial like when we had Eustace and dare I say Savage.

Perspnally i think quite a few of those will be off loaded if GR can find any takers

Archived