Back 6

ariotofmyown

Carson in goals.

Keogh with a more experienced partner in Davies next to him.

Wisdom and Forsyth...tall and fast fullbacks who are good in the air, plus Fozzie's crossing ability.

Thorne in front of them: intercepting, tackling, starting moves, controlling play, creating attacks.

There won't be many better Back 6s in the league next season.

All Gary has to do now is get the front 5 working.  Martin, Vydra, Nugent, Anya, Russell, Weimann, Johnson, Bryson and Butterfield. Not a bad bunch, plus a couple of new signings too perhaps.

I'm starting to get confident, but a lot that comes from Thorne. I hope he stays fit for both his and our sake.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see the rule change where they added another goal. That is going to make things interesting. 

I agree, it does seem necessary to move to a back 6 if thats the case.

GR's next moves will involve providing extra cover at DM (covering Thorne apparent inability to play 2 matches a,week all season long).As can be seen by his pursuit of Whelan)

Bringing in at lest one if not 2 young fast wingers/attackers who can bring more goals to the team.(Something we don't poccess now Ince has gone).

Maybe an known talent from lower leagues with potential. 

If we can do this we will be set for good season.

11 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

11 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

GR's next moves will involve providing extra cover at DM (covering Thorne apparent inability to play 2 matches a,week all season long).As can be seen by his pursuit of Whelan)

Bringing in at lest one if not 2 young fast wingers/attackers who can bring more goals to the team.(Something we don't poccess now Ince has gone).

Maybe an known talent from lower leagues with potential. 

If we can do this we will be set for good season.

Yes, all good points.

I am all for signing Whelan, but not as a back up to George. That can be done by Johnson, Baird or even Hanson.

We need Whelan to give us proper bite in midfield, which we have lacked for a number of years now. Without at least two ball winners in midfield we have no chance of promotion - and we will continually lose the physical battles away from home in particular.

Personally I am not concerned about the attacking side of things. With Chris back, and with Vydra and Nugent in support, plus Weimann , I can see plenty of goals. And surely the midfield can chip in at least another 15 goals between them as a minimum after last season's very poor showing.

Defensively we are looking so much better already - again, for years we have always looked vulnerable at set pieces. Much less so now with the two new additions and the return of Forsyth.

So yes, I agree with the original poster - I feel quite optimistic and the jigsaw only needs a couple more pieces to be complete for us to give it a right good go.

The back 6 picks itself at the moment

Carson

Wisdom   Keogh   Davies  Forsythe

Thorne

Its a case of the other 5, which will be in dispute, i'm looking at Martin and

Nugent along with JR,  Butters and Johnson, unless we get any others in!

At the risk of appearing defensive and limiting the opportunities to combine Martin, Vydra and Nugent I would like to see a back 7 of;

Carson

Wisdom   Keogh   Davies  Forsythe

Thorne  Johnson

I think this gives us the bite and creativity in front of the defence and allows the front 4 to be an attacking force.  For the remaining four I would go with a 3 then a 1.

?                 Vydra                     ?

Martin or Nugent

Carson 

wisdom Davies keogh

anya.                      Forsyth 

thorne

Weimann vydra Johnson/Russell 

martin/nugent

wouldnt mind seeing 3 at the back with Anya and fozzy at wing back.

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth 

Russel Thorne Johnson wieman

Nugent Martin 

vydra to mix in with its nugent and Martin as Bryson and butterfield will in midfield 

i think that looks very solid with plenty of options basically a good team 

30 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth 

Russel Thorne Johnson wieman

Nugent Martin 

vydra to mix in with its nugent and Martin as Bryson and butterfield will in midfield 

i think that looks very solid with plenty of options basically a good team 

No, no, no... you have to put the same 11 players into a 4-2-3-1 formation, otherwise you'll get labelled as some sort of hoofball Allardyce wannabe! (even though they're really the same formation but one looks sexy and one doesn't...)

Archived