How much for a future England international?

RoyMac5

44 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Looking at just a couple of similar sort of players who have come into the England set up in the last year or so(or around it), Jake Livermore and Fabian Delph were both playing a decent amount of games in the PL at 22 and they're no where near being regulars for the England squad now at 27. Scary how old they are now and they haven't lived up to that early promise. Hughes is in danger of falling into the same trap IMO. 

I don't know how long we keep saying Hughes is "only" 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22... he's got to push on soon whether that be here or somewhere else because his career will be over before he knows it. I'd love to see him become a great player, that's what we all tipped him to be right? 

Well Livermore and Delph are England regulars at 27. So we can stop saying Hughes is only a certain age in a few more years! I can't think that either of the above two players were bossing anything bar a games consol at the age of 22!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well Livermore and Delph are England regulars at 27. So we can stop saying Hughes is only a certain age in a few more years! I can't think that either of the above two players were bossing anything bar a games consol at the age of 22!

Probably not but they were playing at a much higher standard at 22. If Will doesn't go this summer then he's got to have a big year at this level, his best years should be from now. The main point being I don't want Will to fall into the same bracket, fringes of the England squad at 27? That's not what he was touted for. 

22 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Errr and as Rowett is aiming for top 2 next season wouldn't that be us, in the Prem?!

At the moment most of the squad is  the same as last season, so no i wouldn't say that would be us. You can have all the ambition in the world, but it doesn't mean anything if they don't actually show anything on the field.

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

At the moment most of the squad is  the same as last season, so no i wouldn't say that would be us. You can have all the ambition in the world, but it doesn't mean anything if they don't actually show anything on the field.

We got close enough, even this season, to believe it's possible.

Future England international as a phrase is a real pet hate of mine. 

Ibe and Bamford were future England internationals...until they weren't. Whereas If I'd told you Harry Kane who couldnt get in Leicesters team on loan or Micheal Keane who couldn't get in ours would be where they are today you'd have laughed me off the forum.   

7 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Future England international as a phrase is a real pet hate of mine. 

Ibe and Bamford were future England internationals...until they weren't. Whereas If I'd told you Harry Kane who couldnt get in Leicesters team on loan or Micheal Keane who couldn't get in ours would be where they are today you'd have laughed me off the forum.   

Ha ha ha! Look he's 22 with his whole career in front of him, so stupid to write him off.

It's not always how good you are it's who you play for. England has always had a problem with bias towards big club players.

We are starting to see players given a chance further down the league but all it would take is a Man Utd 18 year old CM playing 5 games to push Hughes down the pecking order unless he could land a big move himself. 

I don't think it's a nailed on certainty he will play for England as others seem to think, that's not writing him off either.

Archived