Accountability in a faceless society

NottsRam77

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, StringerBell said:

We were talking about freedom of speech.

I'm in favour of as few laws as can be realistically workable. Small government ftw.

Yes but why choose 'freedom of speech' for a test of freedom? I see you say as few laws as can be realistically workable, is there a number? Not much of a definition of freedom is it?

Why shouldn't people be held to account for saying (and/or doing) reprehensible things? Why should words be dealt with differently?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes but why choose 'freedom of speech' for a test of freedom? I see you say as few laws as can be realistically workable, is there a number? Not much of a definition of freedom is it?

Why shouldn't people be held to account for saying (and/or doing) reprehensible things? Why should words be dealt with differently?

Because they're ******* words!

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

So I'm Catholic but not Irish. Would that be like being a white Muslim these days. 

I just wonder if there is more animosity because Muslims, for the most part are easily identifiable through their colour and dress. Whereas it's harder to tell a catholic from a Protestant at first glance. If it was luthorians blowing people up, would people even know who to be mad at. 

Just seems like ordinary, everyday, Asian Muslims are an easy target. 

Yep. Totally agree.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

When people say 'freedom of speech' they really mean 'freedom of hate-speech'.

16 hours ago, reveldevil said:

No, not at all. 

My mum is Irish and Catholic, I was christened COE, but the other parents at the school gate soon picked up on her Irish accent.

I got some grief, from both teachers and fellow pupils, but it was all considered banter in those days (early to mid 80's), a step down from the blatant discrimination she'd experienced when first arriving.

Looking back now, it only made me more determined to identify as Irish, just to piss people off.

Maybe a similar thing is happening now, but with 2nd generation Muslims instead of Irish?

This is the point I'm getting at. The more people abuse innocent Muslims, the more they drive them towards extremism. It's a vicious circle. I'd probably do the same, dig out my great-grandads Irish passport and learn how to river dance, if people started indiscriminately dissing my heritage. And god help you if you pick on the Norwegians (one sixteenth). 

16 hours ago, eddie said:

When people say 'freedom of speech' they really mean 'freedom of hate-speech'.

That's a generalization.  i believe in freedom of speech and i don't go around hurling insults left and right.  i have had to leave a couple of forums because of how appalled i was and insulted by what was maliciously and ignorantly thrown out there by numerous posters.  They have the right to their opinion and even the right to shamelessly lie to make their point, but that doesn't mean that i personally will put up with it.  i have the options to leave or endlessly confront them, i chose the former.

7 minutes ago, ramit said:

That's a generalization.  i believe in freedom of speech and i don't go around hurling insults left and right.  i have had to leave a couple of forums because of how appalled i was and insulted by what was maliciously and ignorantly thrown out there by numerous posters.  They have the right to their opinion and even the right to shamelessly lie to make their point, but that doesn't mean that i personally will put up with it.  i have the options to leave or endlessly confront them, i chose the former.

Did you tell them to ram it?

19 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I've been programmed to think older people are wise. I must need deradicalising.

Let me start the process. The older I get the more lenient and tolerant I've become. As for being wiser no, I'm still just as capable of saying or doing something stupid now as I was forty years ago.

Archived