Accountability in a faceless society

NottsRam77

Had to look up a bit more about Katie Hopkins being sacked. 

Found tese tweets in support of her:

Katie Hopkins fired over a word mistakenly used in a tweet. Special snowflakes at @LBCcaved.

Who listens to radio anyway?

— Paul Joseph Watson (@PrisonPlanet) May 26, 2017

@LBC Disgraceful!! Free speech LBC style! Political correctness gone mad! We  You @KTHopkins

— Aaron Star (@AaronStarUK) May 26, 2017

Ridiculous #KatieHopkins has been sacked! Again politician correctness bull **** yet we lead radicals preach in our own country! #LBC

— rightisright (@therightidea) May 26, 2017

Never read or listened to Katie Hopkins, but @LBC caving in only ever works in one direction. Window of acceptable thought grows narrower.

— Halberstram (@PerennialYuppie) May 26, 2017

'a word mistakenly used in a tweet'. If she doesn't know the connotations of final solution, she's an absolute moron who shouldn't be allowed a twitter account (to be fair, that would also describe her if she did know the connotations of final solution).

'political correctness gone mad' and 'window of acceptable thought grows narrower'. I'm not really sure that advocating a holocaust was ever considered acceptable thought or politically correct. Even Bernard Manning in his pomp might've stopped short at advocating a holocaust.

People are ******* mental, it's seriously concerning (this is why I didn't actively search for anything before now, I didn't think I'd actually see people defiending her).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Had to look up a bit more about Katie Hopkins being sacked. 

Found tese tweets in support of her:

Katie Hopkins fired over a word mistakenly used in a tweet. Special snowflakes at @LBCcaved.

Who listens to radio anyway?

— Paul Joseph Watson (@PrisonPlanet) May 26, 2017

@LBC Disgraceful!! Free speech LBC style! Political correctness gone mad! We  You @KTHopkins

— Aaron Star (@AaronStarUK) May 26, 2017

Ridiculous #KatieHopkins has been sacked! Again politician correctness bull **** yet we lead radicals preach in our own country! #LBC

— rightisright (@therightidea) May 26, 2017

Never read or listened to Katie Hopkins, but @LBC caving in only ever works in one direction. Window of acceptable thought grows narrower.

— Halberstram (@PerennialYuppie) May 26, 2017

'a word mistakenly used in a tweet'. If she doesn't know the connotations of final solution, she's an absolute moron who shouldn't be allowed a twitter account (to be fair, that would also describe her if she did know the connotations of final solution).

'political correctness gone mad' and 'window of acceptable thought grows narrower'. I'm not really sure that advocating a holocaust was ever considered acceptable thought or politically correct. Even Bernard Manning in his pomp might've stopped short at advocating a holocaust.

People are ******* mental, it's seriously concerning (this is why I didn't actively search for anything before now, I didn't think I'd actually see people defiending her).

Completely disagree with you Tedd.

I'll defend her. I'm not a fan and it's up to LBC what they do. But people reporting her to the police need to go away and look in the mirror. You know as well as I do she wasn't advocating a holocaust. She's a troll. 

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/katie-hopkins-sacking-the-mob-claims-another-scalp/19877#.WSkcU7V4XYU

Knows exactly what she's doing and that's why these companies employ her, she gets the attention that draws in the clicks and exposure.

Once she runs out of gutter press companies to work for over here she will flee the UK and do a Piers Morgan.

These Police investigations only strengthen the image she is trying to portray, those reporting her are actually helping, be far better off ignoring her completely. 

Starving a professional troll of attention is the same as removing sunlight for a flower. Stick it in a darkened see what happens. 

3 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I'll defend her. I'm not a fan and it's up to LBC what they do. But people reporting her to the police need to go away and look in the mirror. You know as well as I do she wasn't advocating a holocaust. She's a troll. 

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/katie-hopkins-sacking-the-mob-claims-another-scalp/19877#.WSkcU7V4XYU

Fair enough, I'm the first to say political correctness can go too far too often. But I'd still say there is a line, and using language that invokes the holocaust is crossing it. She knows exactly what she's saying, what the connotations are, and how it will be taken. Yes, she's a professional troll. Maybe she doesn't actually believe anything she writes, she just writes things she knows will get a reaction. But as the thread says, she should be held accountable for the things she writes, and at face value. If she doesn't actually believe it, then she shouldn't write it. If she does believe it, then she's not a troll, she's a dangerous nut job.

Calling the police on her is a bit much, I'm sure the police have tabs on these things, and the one thing she's not doing is trying to hide her identity. 

Out of interest, I wasn't really old enough to understand what was going on at the time, was there any animosity towards your average everyday catholic during the IRA terror attacks, to a similar extent that all Muslims are having to pay for the actions of a minority?

13 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Out of interest, I wasn't really old enough to understand what was going on at the time, was there any animosity towards your average everyday catholic during the IRA terror attacks, to a similar extent that all Muslims are having to pay for the actions of a minority?

There was animosity towards all Irish people.

5 hours ago, StringerBell said:

This is the same woman that said we should blow up ships carrying migrants, so I wouldn't be so sure that she isn't advocating a holocaust.

o-AXELROD-570.jpg

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

This is the same woman that said we should blow up ships carrying migrants, so I wouldn't be so sure that she isn't advocating a holocaust.

o-AXELROD-570.jpg

How anyone could defend the words of this thing is beyond me - yet I could have predicted who would.

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Fair enough, I'm the first to say political correctness can go too far too often. But I'd still say there is a line, and using language that invokes the holocaust is crossing it. She knows exactly what she's saying, what the connotations are, and how it will be taken. Yes, she's a professional troll. Maybe she doesn't actually believe anything she writes, she just writes things she knows will get a reaction. But as the thread says, she should be held accountable for the things she writes, and at face value. If she doesn't actually believe it, then she shouldn't write it. If she does believe it, then she's not a troll, she's a dangerous nut job.

Calling the police on her is a bit much, I'm sure the police have tabs on these things, and the one thing she's not doing is trying to hide her identity. 

Like it pretty much says in the article it's up to the station as to what they do but the pressure put on them is concerning.

I actually worry about the tide turning a bit with outrage culture. Just a handful of people saying something on twitter gets turned into a media storm and then companies end up cowtowing to whatever demands that have been given to them.

I'm more worried about that than someone making a tasteless comment referencing the holocaust tbh.

Katie Hopkins should just be told to stop being a Richard head or ignored when she says stuff like this.

20 minutes ago, rynny said:

o-AXELROD-570.jpg

Are illegal migrants all of the Muslims?

Gunships is a bit much eh? But those boats should be blocked. Concerned citizens are already doing this.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

How anyone could defend the words of this thing is beyond me - yet I could have predicted who would.

Yes well it is quite easy to do really so I wouldn't pat yourself on the back too much about it. Self identifying liberal acts in a manner that can be described as liberal. 

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

Like it pretty much says in the article it's up to the station as to what they do but the pressure put on them is concerning.

I actually worry about the tide turning a bit with outrage culture. Just a handful of people saying something on twitter gets turned into a media storm and then companies end up cowtowing to whatever demands that have been given to them.

I'm more worried about that than someone making a tasteless comment referencing the holocaust tbh.

Katie Hopkins should just be told to stop being a Richard head or ignored when she says stuff like this.

Are illegal migrants all of the Muslims?

Gunships is a bit much eh? But those boats should be blocked. Concerned citizens are already doing this.

She is on about killing a group of people, on more than one occasion. If it was the other way round would it be treated more seriously?

57 minutes ago, rynny said:

She is on about killing a group of people, on more than one occasion. If it was the other way round would it be treated more seriously?

She isn't on about killing people with the 'final solution' tweet she's winding you up and getting rich off it.

Taking extreme measures to defend your own borders isn't quite equatable to rounding up your own citizens and gassing them anyway, but there's more evidence of Katie Hopkins trolling than being pro killing. I don't think she wants to kill all the Muslims. It wouldn't surprise me if she wanted to take more authoritarian measures against Muslims though.

Having said that, the tweet doesn't even mention Muslims. Or anyone apart from Philip Schofield I think. Should Philip Schofield be concerned?

4 hours ago, eddie said:

There was animosity towards all Irish people.

So I'm Catholic but not Irish. Would that be like being a white Muslim these days. 

I just wonder if there is more animosity because Muslims, for the most part are easily identifiable through their colour and dress. Whereas it's harder to tell a catholic from a Protestant at first glance. If it was luthorians blowing people up, would people even know who to be mad at. 

Just seems like ordinary, everyday, Asian Muslims are an easy target. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

So I'm Catholic but not Irish. Would that be like being a white Muslim these days. 

I just wonder if there is more animosity because Muslims, for the most part are easily identifiable through their colour and dress. Whereas it's harder to tell a catholic from a Protestant at first glance. If it was luthorians blowing people up, would people even know who to be mad at. 

It seems there's plenty of ginger muslims. Maybe they identify with being the outsider.

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

She isn't on about killing people with the 'final solution' tweet she's winding you up and getting rich off it.

Taking extreme measures to defend your own borders isn't quite equatable to rounding up your own citizens and gassing them anyway, but there's more evidence of Katie Hopkins trolling than being pro killing. I don't think she wants to kill all the Muslims. It wouldn't surprise me if she wanted to take more authoritarian measures against Muslims though.

Having said that, the tweet doesn't even mention Muslims. Or anyone apart from Philip Schofield I think. Should Philip Schofield be concerned?

Emotive language that will stir up racial hatred amongst the far right. I think she was pitching to the extremists in her fan base. Very dangerous. 

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Emotive language that will stir up racial hatred amongst the far right. I think she was pitching to the extremists in her fan base. Very dangerous. 

Maybe so. That doesn't explain why she changed the tweet though. 

Personally I think she's left it ambiguous on purpose in order to kick up a storm whilst maintaining innocence - and then changed it to show she didn't mean that. She then gets to play victim.

The thing is a manufactured free speech issue is still a free speech issue. I've often said people like Hopkins act like a litmus test just to see how free we really are.

6 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Maybe so. That doesn't explain why she changed the tweet though. 

Personally I think she's left it ambiguous on purpose in order to kick up a storm whilst maintaining innocence - and then changed it to show she didn't mean that. She then gets to play victim.

The thing is a manufactured free speech issue is still a free speech issue. I've often said people like Hopkins act like a litmus test just to see how free we really are.

So we are only free when people can be as obnoxious and vile as they like? Not my idea of being free.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

No, not at all. 

My mum is Irish and Catholic, I was christened COE, but the other parents at the school gate soon picked up on her Irish accent.

I got some grief, from both teachers and fellow pupils, but it was all considered banter in those days (early to mid 80's), a step down from the blatant discrimination she'd experienced when first arriving.

Looking back now, it only made me more determined to identify as Irish, just to piss people off.

Maybe a similar thing is happening now, but with 2nd generation Muslims instead of Irish?

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So we are only free when people can be as obnoxious and vile as they like? Not my idea of being free.

Yes you're pro censorship so it wouldn't be. Why would you concern yourself with an idea of freedom? Why don't you just be honest and admit that you're simply not a fan of freedom? 

"I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it" 

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall describing the stance of Voltaire

"Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech"

- Noam Chomsky

"If you don’t stand up for the stuff you don’t like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you’ve already lost"

- Neil Gaiman

3 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

"Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech"

- Noam Chomsky

"If you don’t stand up for the stuff you don’t like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you’ve already lost"

- Neil Gaiman

What are laws then? Are you against them?

Archived