Fishing in a small pond - hidden gems

On 17/05/2017 at 23:55, Carl Sagan said:

Darryl Powell was a woeful player who kept Baiano out of Jim Smith's team. The only decent thing he managed over a ridiculously long career was to get the gumps down into the third division. Kinkladze was a wizard, not used properly.

But I do agree with the sentiment if not the specific example.

Thats rubbish ?

who else gets a commentator purring over a pass like super darryl powell does lol

Side note

rowett out ^^

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Thats rubbish ?

who else gets a commentator purring over a pass like super darryl powell does lol

Side note

rowett out ^^

Can still remember listening to this game on the radio, then stopping up late to watch it on Central Sports Special!!!

On 17.5.2017 at 14:44, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I am really excited to see the types of players Rowett brings into the club.

The stories we read on these twitter accounts for players we are linked with seem nothing more than lazy journalism, if they can even be classed as that.

Players like Mooy, Aden Flint, every player we are linked with are valued massively and mentioned in the same breath as Aston Villa.  Trying to buy players in England from the championship proved worthless last season, Kodjia, Lansbury, Chester, all players we were supposedly linked with, all ending up at Villa.

I trust Rowett to cast his net further afield and I can see the trip to Germany being more than just a pre-season game.

I predict one of our signings to be called Wolfgang or Hugo.

UNless the year is 1940 I predict we wont be signing a Wolfgang. Its like saying we are going to sign a british lad called Alfred.

On 17/05/2017 at 17:07, r4derby said:

As has been mentioned on other threads, many aren't sure what value for money looks like the past few windows. I think we need to be wise in how we spend money.

Players like Mooy and Tammy Abraham would be fantastic additions for us, and I'm happy with the links (whether lazy or not) as they would more than likely be loans, so although their value has risen it would still be viable financially.

Buying Aiden Flint for £5mill would be silly IMO. It's paying a premium for a player after a good season. We need to look at the players low on value - out of favour, playing poorly but with pedigree etc. Players values seem to go up and down a lot more frequently in the current climate.

I also think the players GR wants to add aren't your typical expensive flashy signings. He wants a few in who can add physicality, battle and desire to this team. The sort of player that can be found in any league for a decent fee. I'd expect him to be looking both here and overseas

(sorry for the length...)

On 17/05/2017 at 23:18, CHCDerby said:

The exact same words I say to the missus 

What part, I think we need to be wise in how we spend money or sorry for the length.

On 17 May 2017 at 23:20, Duracell said:

My biggest gripe is that we've been paying millions for someone else's scouting in recent seasons.

Think about the fees paid for Johnson, Butterfield, Anya, Blackman, Weimann, Vydra and more. Then think about the fees they commanded in the transfer before they joined us. Almost all of their transfer values went up by over 100%, but none of them were significantly better players than when they joined their previous club. Why can't we skip out the middle part and sign these players - competent Championship players - before they're labelled as 'proven'?

Sign a player who's had one good very good season at this level and you will pay 7 figures, and in the case of Anya, Blackman, Vydra, Johnson and Butterfield (for large parts of his career here so far), they've not been able to repeat the form that commanded the fee in the first place.

The best value for money is in Leagues One and Two, the SPL and Europe. 

thought Cloughie had given his true identity up on here until the last word of this sentence! 

Archived