McClaren's Transfer Comments (21/01/17)

Nuwtfly

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I know you watch a lot of football, how many times have you seen Hourihane play and how do you think he fits into our squad? 

I've seen Hourihane play a number of times and I've been impressed on each occasion. He's a bit lightweight but I think he'd suit the system we have down to the ground playing that energetic midfield role that Bryson did of a few years ago, providing assists and goals which is what we need from the midfield. Butterfield was brought in to be that man and did very well last season but for whatever reason it hasn't worked for him so far this season.

Just now, McLovin said:

I've seen Hourihane play a number of times and I've been impressed on each occasion. He's a bit lightweight but I think he'd suit the system we have down to the ground playing that energetic midfield role that Bryson did of a few years ago, providing assists and goals which is what we need from the midfield. Butterfield was brought in to be that man and did very well last season but for whatever reason it hasn't worked for him so far this season.

What's a number of times out of interest?

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I would be pretty sure that not many on here had even heard of Hourihane before this season, so to say Pearson should have signed him in the summer is a classic case of hindsight! 

I think you will find i said we should sign him in August. :D

See David's post in the Lansbury thread on Friday morning. 

Just now, McLovin said:

6 times this season in the championship, 8 times in league 1(5 last season, 3 the season before), happy now?

Was only asking as they are hardly ever on Sky, think they've been on twice this season (one of which they got thumped by the gumps).

So you must either stream Barnsley games or go and watch them, in which case you would know more about Hourihane than other people who are probably suggesting signing him without even seeing him play.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Was only asking as they are hardly ever on Sky, think they've been on twice this season (one of which they got thumped by the gumps).

So you must either stream Barnsley games or go and watch them, in which case you would know more about Hourihane than other people who are probably suggesting signing him without even seeing him play.

If you must know I have some close friends living in Yorkshire who are season ticket holders for Barnsley so I've been lucky to see a few of their games in the past seasons. You probably don't believe that though.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If you must know I have some close friends living in Yorkshire who are season ticket holders for Barnsley so I've been lucky to see a few of their games in the past seasons. You probably don't believe that though.

Why would I not believe you?

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I re-call you saying that your in-laws or something support Barnsley G-star Ram. Have you seen him play, what did you think?

I very rarely go and watch them (other than when Derby play them).

Thought he was decent when we played them at the beginning of the season but thought Hamill was their standout player that day.

Sister in law says Hourihane is a good player but she doesn't rave about him the way she used to about Butterfield!

She did also predict that both Stones and Mawson would end up in the Premier League so get judgement is obviously pretty decent.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Just by the tone, almost like you wanted me to say that I haven't seen him play and simply 'jumped on the bandwagon'

Nah, just interested in what the fuss is about him as not really seen him play.

Asked numerous other people who have recommended him what he would bring to us and had no answers!

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't ever go and watch them (other than when Derby play them).

Thought he was decent when we played them at the beginning of the season but thought Hamill was their standout player that day.

Sister in law says Hourihane is a good player but she doesn't rave about him the way she used to about Butterfield!

She did also predict that both Stones and Mawson would end up in the Premier League so get judgement is obviously pretty decent.

Yes, as I stated on the previous page I was very impressed with Hammill, he was very quick and direct and if he was a few years younger, he'd be someone I would have liked to have signed and when I saw him he looked like he had end product too. Sam Winnall was another one I was impressed with but he's gone to wednesday now. They are working wonders for a smallish club.

1 hour ago, sage said:

How much is he going for?

How much did we pay for Johnson and Butterfield?

Remember how everyone was saying he was a bargain at 1.5m? Well it's currently just under 3m with massive wages and if we came in we'd be going over that just to start. The guy is good but in form Butterfield and Johnson are just as good and more proven. We could break the bank and he'd come here and lose form like most of our recent signings and we'd be all here slagging him off and talking about other players. Just another Butterfield situation.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yes, as I stated on the previous page I was very impressed with Hammill, he was very quick and direct and if he was a few years younger, he'd be someone I would have liked to have signed and when I saw him he looked like he had end product too. Sam Winnall was another one I was impressed with but he's gone to wednesday now. They are working wonders for a smallish club.

The John Stones sell on clause should certainly help them out!

31 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Remember how everyone was saying he was a bargain at 1.5m? Well it's currently just under 3m with massive wages and if we came in we'd be going over that just to start. The guy is good but in form Butterfield and Johnson are just as good and more proven. We could break the bank and he'd come here and lose form like most of our recent signings and we'd be all here slagging him off and talking about other players. Just another Butterfield situation.

31 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

I'm not massively anxious to sign him. Was just making the point if we were looking for a CM he would have been near or at the head of my wish list. LB LW and especially CF are more of a concern to me. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Would be surprised if he was allowed to leave for that amount.

Although Barnsley are a selling club they have already pocketed over £8m this season so don't think they will be under any pressure to sell other players.

They got a right packet from the stones to Man City transfer

Archived