Henri Lansbury - Signed for Aston Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

21 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

That as may be, I still think there'd be more media coverage. We've not exactly been quiet about wanting to acquire him so any negotiation progress I think would be made public. 

What I could argue, is that the club maybe have gone under the radar with further negotiations & bids.

The reason why I think they may have done this, is because when we placed the £2.5m bid for him it went EVERYWHERE. 

This then probably cause clubs to get involved in the hunt for Lansbury, because now they were aware that he is available for a fairly decent price. 

Maybe they want to go under the radar to keep the clubs from outbidding them or beating them to his signature.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

What I could argue, is that the club maybe have gone under the radar with further negotiations & bids.

The reason why I think they may have done this, is because when we placed the £2.5m bid for him it went EVERYWHERE. 

This then probably cause clubs to get involved in the hunt for Lansbury, because now they were aware that he is available for a fairly decent price. 

Maybe they want to go under the radar to keep the clubs from outbidding them or beating them to his signature.

Aye. Expect a lot to come out and change once takeover is complete to be honest. It's their decision that will be the deciding factor, and they are happy to sell to Derby for more money. Businessmen. 

9 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Would the DET run another story on Lansbury if the deal was pretty much done to Villa? Doubt it

I am not sure sure, the DET no longer strike me as a group of journo's with their finger on the pulse. Most of their articles contain no information of worth at all beyond 'this guy tweeted something'. I doubt they know any more than any other outlet covering Championship football.

30 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I see your point, I'm hoping our massive neon signposting of being interested in Lansbury has diverted attention away from us going after other targets in our usual "undisclosed" manner. 

The Secret Footballer mentioned clubs usually having a list, so i'm hoping Lansbury was say #2 or #3 on that list, which means it's good if we get him, but can also go after #1 while everyone is watching the Lansbury situation. 

Steve Nicholson is turning into Alan 'throw enough stones and eventually one will hit' Nixon, a lot of his twitter feeds are just rehashed gossip quotes. The club don't give him any inside information other than what goes up on the club website so he's left to scramble around for anything that can encourage hits on the DET feed.

31 minutes ago, jb12345 said:

Aye. Expect a lot to come out and change once takeover is complete to be honest. It's their decision that will be the deciding factor, and they are happy to sell to Derby for more money. Businessmen. 

Makes sense really...

Get the most money for someone who is going to be free in 6 months time.

Just now, RamsPolls said:

Makes sense really...

Get the most money for someone who is going to be free in 6 months time.

Would also make more sense to spend big on Lansbury if our other targets are all relatively cheap (Nugent, Wildschut, De Sart, Martin return)

Wouldn't get too excited though!

P.S - As we've already said, paying £5m for Lansbury will mean nothing if we hit the £120m jackpot of promotion. 

19 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I see your point, I'm hoping our massive neon signposting of being interested in Lansbury has diverted attention away from us going after other targets in our usual "undisclosed" manner. 

The Secret Footballer mentioned clubs usually having a list, so i'm hoping Lansbury was say #2 or #3 on that list, which means it's good if we get him, but can also go after #1 while everyone is watching the Lansbury situation. 

Agreed. If Lansbury is a smoke screen for something bigger then we will all be happy.

However, the last time we used this tactic, The Forestieri drama, We ended up with Vydra. Not gone too well for him. I would have preferred FF to Vydra.

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Would also make more sense to spend big on Lansbury if our other targets are all relatively cheap (Nugent, Wildschut, De Sart, Martin return)

Wouldn't get too excited though!

P.S - As we've already said, paying £5m for Lansbury will mean nothing if we hit the £120m jackpot of promotion. 

Who would you take out of the team to bring Lansbury in?

Personally it would have to be Butterfield as he slows the play down too much and isn't going to improve us in the long run. Lansbury could be the difference.

1 minute ago, RamsPolls said:

Who would you take out of the team to bring Lansbury in?

Personally it would have to be Butterfield as he slows the play down too much and isn't going to improve us in the long run. Lansbury could be the difference.

As I've said before, Butterfield and Hughes are currently playing the same role, and we're lacking at attacking threat from the centre of midfield because of this. Therefore, it has to be one of those two, and so you take out Butterfield. I like Butters, but we need someone to do the Bryson role to make our team step up a gear. For that reason, I'd be more than happy for us to spend in the excess of £5m.

I'd also like to see us sign Wildschut. Would be much cheaper than say Forestieri, he's powerful, direct and skillful, with a decent cross on him. Just needs to work on his finishing. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

As I've said before, Butterfield and Hughes are currently playing the same role, and we're lacking at attacking threat from the centre of midfield because of this. Therefore, it has to be one of those two, and so you take out Butterfield. I like Butters, but we need someone to do the Bryson role to make our team step up a gear. For that reason, I'd be more than happy for us to spend in the excess of £5m.

I'd also like to see us sign Wildschut. Would be much cheaper than say Forestieri, he's powerful, direct and skillful, with a decent cross on him. Just needs to work on his finishing. 

Couldn't agree more!

However... the problem with Wildschut is the consistency with his performances. Wigan fans are the first to tell that he isn't a constant performer and has never done it over lengthy period of time. My mate is a Wigan fan and says that he is probably going to get better but he needs to work on performing week in week out. Before this season he rarely set the world alight and now he's having one decent half of the season, he is being linked with big money moves to bigger clubs. I would really like to give him a go here, but can't help but thinking he could just flop massively and turn out like Blackman or Weimann.

1 minute ago, RamsPolls said:

Couldn't agree more!

However... the problem with Wildschut is the consistency with his performances. Wigan fans are the first to tell that he isn't a constant performer and has never done it over lengthy period of time. My mate is a Wigan fan and says that he is probably going to get better but he needs to work on performing week in week out. Before this season he rarely set the world alight and now he's having one decent half of the season, he is being linked with big money moves to bigger clubs. I would really like to give him a go here, but can't help but thinking he could just flop massively and turn out like Blackman or Weimann.

Those all sounds like problems that could be fixed with a better coach (McClaren) and better players around him (Derby). 

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Bang on. You've got a great set of midfielders but don't think Butterfield would get the call ahead of Lansbury. If I were you it'd be Hughes Lansbury* and probably Johnson. Johnson looks a good player this year.

Just now, RamsPolls said:

Could of said this about Russell though... He's not improved.

Might be more down to the constant change of manager/style though. 

Feel for Russell. So much promise when he came here, but has only shown glimpses of talent, in short sustained bursts. TIme's up for him, imo. 

Archived