Derby County vs Birmingham City - matchday thread

Rev

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have just won 8 in 9 (the other being a draw at a side who are brilliant at home), and I'm honestly reading people complaining about the style of wins and how apparently we're unbalanced? Please. Do you not remember how bad it was earlier in the season? 

Go and tell Burnley fans about how many stylish wins they had in their last two promotional spells, because they're doing just fine right now. 

I don't see how a side with 7 home clean sheets in a row and 8 wins in 9 can be unbalanced, but hey ho I'm no expert 

53 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

We have just won 8 in 9 (the other being a draw at a side who are brilliant at home), and I'm honestly reading people complaining about the style of wins and how apparently we're unbalanced? Please. Do you not remember how bad it was earlier in the season? 

Go and tell Burnley fans about how many stylish wins they had in their last two promotional spells, because they're doing just fine right now. 

I don't see how a side with 7 home clean sheets in a row and 8 wins in 9 can be unbalanced, but hey ho I'm no expert 

Great post. 

59 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I agree, though attempting to become the next Burnley would be a terrible idea. Their philosophy doesn't support staying in the Premier League. Aside from attempting to improve and play football more effectively I'm not sure why people are complaining, especially with some clear holes in the squad. 

Yes, the wins aren't going close to our previous football but who cares about that until McLaren has his own players in? You can see it coming, it just needs a couple of tweaks in personnel and we're there. 

15 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Not as bad I expected really. Just really got my head down and got on with it. Wasn't comfortable at any point during the afternoon but I did it.

Very surprised at just how few fans were at Chesterfield station at 2pm. One or two but I expected dozens of them. Same going back really. I think I just had a picture in my mind about hordes of rampaging drunk idiots singing and acting up but in truth there was none of that, least until I got to the Harvester pub.

I'll definitely take the train again if I'm ever again without the car rather than miss the game completely.

I did leave about 5 minutes before full time as I anticipated the hordes again at full time but it was ok. Just folk trying to get home.

Just really, really cold.

Cheers for asking Alan Ramage 4 Eva. :thumbsup:

I did think about you having read your pre- match post ,good man for going/making the trip.

13 minutes ago, Alex W said:

I agree, though attempting to become the next Burnley would be a terrible idea. Their philosophy doesn't support staying in the Premier League. Aside from attempting to improve and play football more effectively I'm not sure why people are complaining, especially with some clear holes in the squad. 

Yes, the wins aren't going close to our previous football but who cares about that until McLaren has his own players in? You can see it coming, it just needs a couple of tweaks in personnel and we're there. 

There's something in this,some of the current squad don't entirely suit his style of play but having been purchased by clement or Pearson but he's doing a fine job of adapting the team into a winning team.....In a lot of ways it's proving a more effective style than the first time around and is still capable of lovely flowing football in the right circumstances...

Far more enjoyable to watch than Clements or Pearson's matches ever were...

3 minutes ago, Alex W said:

I remember when we were all saying that two years ago at Christmas under McLaren and last Christmas under Clement. Turned out we were over performing pre-Christmas and inconsistent and mediocre after that on both occasions.

Without wanting to be negative, the margins are so fine that we could either continue this rise or sink like a stone again. Just don't presume that the only way is up. 

9 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

I remember when we were all saying that two years ago at Christmas under McLaren and last Christmas under Clement. Turned out we were over performing pre-Christmas and inconsistent and mediocre after that on both occasions.

Without wanting to be negative, the margins are so fine that we could either continue this rise or sink like a stone again. Just don't presume that the only way is up. 

Absolutely, as with anything it could go wrong, but it's a solid base for now. We look extremely solid, that with the right players and some tactical tweaks thereafter should see us move into the type of football we had previously, though it may cost us some of our defensive structure. I'm thinking we look like Middlesborough before they got themselves flowing upfront too, they had a very mean defence when they went up.

I never saw this under Clement and during McLaren's second spell the defence was the issue. Even without our chosen CDM we've solved that issue, we seem to be on much surer footing now than before. We don't creak or wobble as much which is a good place to work from. It's a positive outlook for me at this moment, as for most people I'd imagine, both as a positive thinker and a realist.   

2 hours ago, Alex W said:

Not saying we need to be like Burnley at all, but we certainly are defending like they did! 

Archived