A niggling frustration

Derbados

Although i'll admit its early days yet, the signs are there that we may, just possibly have another season like the one which saw us finish 3rd and ultimately fall at the last hurdle. The frustrating thing that season was that if Mac had come in earlier we more than likely would have finished in the top two and gone up automatically. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but how frustrating would it now be if we go on to have a fantastic rest of season, finish 3rd and lose out in the playoffs yet again. We'd be back to the same scenario, what if? 

I must admit i was 100% for Pearson coming in but if we end up losing out because of him i'm going to set a rabid ostrich on him! 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Although i'll admit its early days yet, the signs are there that we may, just possibly have another season like the one which saw us finish 3rd and ultimately fall at the last hurdle. The frustrating thing that season was that if Mac had come in earlier we more than likely would have finished in the top two and gone up automatically. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but how frustrating would it now be if we go on to have a fantastic rest of season, finish 3rd and lose out in the playoffs yet again. We'd be back to the same scenario, what if? 

I must admit i was 100% for Pearson coming in but if we end up losing out because of him i'm going to set a rabid ostrich on him! 

Was that your flag I was standing in front of yesterday?

What signs that we might fall at the last hurdle?

The fact that you were so vociferous in your anti-McClaren rhetoric when he re-joined has to be continually justified with the possibility of more gloom, I suppose.

Two months ago you were adamant that we were condemned to a relegation struggle. 7 wins on the trot and 25 points from 10 games has closed that door.

Just leave the speculation alone, at least for now. If we finish third and miss out, it won't have been for the want of trying.

11 minutes ago, eddie said:

What signs that we might fall at the last hurdle?

The fact that you were so vociferous in your anti-McClaren rhetoric when he re-joined has to be continually justified with the possibility of more gloom, I suppose.

Two months ago you were adamant that we were condemned to a relegation struggle. 7 wins on the trot and 25 points from 10 games has closed that door.

Just leave the speculation alone, at least for now. If we finish third and miss out, it won't have been for the want of trying.

Cheer up Eddie, its Christmas. . . 

At this rate you'll be getting some spooky visits on Christmas eve

This type of thread scares me to bits. We're on a very good run and the turnaround from Pearson's departure is fantastic. However, Tuesday night, and our drop from 5th to 10th, shows that this league is ridiculously tight and it would only take a couple of defeats to be back in mid-table.  If we start making assumptions about getting into the play offs or thinking what might have been if SMc had come back at the start of the season can only lead to one thing in my view; over inflated expectation and the resulting increase in ridiculous moaning and groaning when we don't win a match.  It takes the joy out of everything when you start to believe you are entitled to a win. 

Feet need to be nailed to the ground and we need to happy with what this season throws at us after the terrible start. Play offs would be a massive bonus this year and thats how we have to think if this season is going to remain FUN. 

Not sure anyone needs to nail their feet to the ground, surely being a fan is all about enjoying the moment, it leads to over the top hype when we are playing well as now and excessive gloom when we ain't. 

Top two need a blip for us to capitalise, but who knows, we have 'blipped' when at the top before so we know it happens.

I'm not worrying either way just enjoying the ride.

On the flipside of the coulda, woulda, shoulda angle. It's only because Mac has come in and given a whole new meaning to 'new manager bounce' that we're even discussing it.

I think most fans would have taken half the points haul that Mac and the players have managed up to now and that would have seen us aiming for a play off spot at best.

Whatever happens will happen (kind of obviously really :lol:) so best to concentrate on the here and now and not thinking what might have been.

If we're good enough to go up automatically then that's what will happen. With or without Pearsons points haul or lack of.

There are nearly 5 months of the season remaining. A lot of things will happen to other teams between now and then. Manager sackings, key players getting injured, loss of form, unexpected defeats and so on.

Mel Morris took the decision to appoint Pearson and then was ruthless in showing him the door when he did. If he hadn't then quite what state the club would have been in, where we'd be in the league table and what the standard of our football would be like is anyone's guess.

My guess though would be that all ends up it wouldn't have been pretty.

I prefer to think we dodged a bullet only having Pearson for 10 or so games and that has given rise to all this new found hope of promotion.

My advice is to just hope for promotion and don't expect it. If it's to happen then it will happen.

It WILL happen.

Here's hoping. ;)

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

You can't change yesterday - only today and tomorrow.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Archived