Graham Richards

silhillian

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ninos said:

You're definitely not short of any marbles Eddie you're just short of interesting inconsistencies. 

I'll take that as a compliment. I hate inconsistency in myself, which probably explains why I was only ever going to be a scientist.

To have Graham Richards on rounded off a near perfect day for me.

Fantastic childhood memories of sitting by the radio with my brother watching Grandstand,listening to radio Derby,waiting for the cry of'IT'S A GOAL' to ring out,followed by the least accurate goal commentary ever.

Great to hear him sounding so well.

My lad was nearly suicidal with boredom.Begging me to put Capitol on.

On 30 October 2016 at 10:45, JoetheRam said:

Don't think he ever claimed to originally be a Derby fan did he? He's certainly not from the area. More that he gained his passion through seeing us over the years?

I only had maybe 7 or 8 years of listening to his commentary before he left, but can recall with happiness his descriptions of the games - always remember him describing Wanchope at Upton Park with a description of him as something like "all legs as he runs down the Chicken Run touchline" - had no idea what the Chicken Run was at the time but stuff like that sticks out when you are 8 or 9. Paints a picture.

Exactly what you want in a Derby County commentator - passionate and articulate, and not afraid to put across an opinion that you might not agree with. Plus by the end of him and Ian Hall doing their stint, we weren't exactly pulling up any trees so a bit of 'negativity' (realism to normal people) will always creep in, and I feel that is what people remember more than how he was when we were good.

Lines like "Horacio from Rosario, what a piece of Argentine dexterity!" said in the heat of the moment, unscripted after an 85th minute winner against the Red Dogs ensure his status as a Derby County legend. That takes some talent.

Amen brother 

Archived