Graham Richards

silhillian

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

Actually left match's 5 mins early so we could get back to listen to his commentary on goals .......not many commentators have the power to make you do that.

Magic Bloke Magic commentator  proper good old days !!

Owen Bradley must be far better. About 15,000 of our fans have been leaving 5 minutes early this season 

With the flood of social media, official website, live text, Sky, Channel 5, etc ..It's hard to explain how powerful his commentary was. As a kid I wasn't going to away games nor a lot of the home games. So I would lie on the floor and just live through his commentary. He was my main contact with the club..his word was more important than the manager, the owner..the players were just actors in his play! 

His time has gone and wouldn't want him to ruin his legacy but he is a bona fide legend. Passion, humour, anger..he was like an articulate fan not a bland observer. Rose-tinted ? Nope,  the 10 year old me wants to say 'thank you'.. he was more important in promoting my love of the Rams than any other single person. 

13 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Love him. Had to sit out in the road in my Renault 5 turbo (name dropping) as it had a radio good enough to hear Graham on radio Derby from deepest Birmingham.

Cleethorpes prom in my XR2 for me but when it got dark the signal went.

I used to like him must admit, a bit in the murray walker vein.

I did wonder what he was talking about today when he started, it was almost like he was talking to radio sheffield to start as he was talking about them not us, but anyway.

And i remember the twin towers comment too....it was a bit of a rodney marsh tsunami moment.

38 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I used to like him must admit, a bit in the murray walker vein.

I did wonder what he was talking about today when he started, it was almost like he was talking to radio sheffield to start as he was talking about them not us, but anyway.

And i remember the twin towers comment too....it was a bit of a rodney marsh tsunami moment.

Nowt wrong with Murray walker, absolute class as is Graham Richards, a Derby legend, thought he could have commentated on the BBC.

he must be getting on a bit now, but miss his passion and descriptions of things, very articulate , should be part of DCFC somehow

5 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

IMO Richards was the driving force in turning a big chunk of Derby fans into the whinging, never happy bunch they are.

He was a miserable, mean spirited waste of space. 

If I could give 100 likes to this I would. 

His opinions on my team never resonated with me. I even rang up Radio derby once to say stop moaning and tell us what's actually happening on the pitch! 

I used to enjoy listening to Graham Richards because he was never dull and raised the excitement levels for fans. Was he prone to exaggeration?- yes. Did he use long words , that few knew the meaning of, to show off?- yes. Did he always paint a true picture of a match? -no. I can't find anything to confirm it but there was talk that he had switched allegiance from a team in the River Trent area. Deep down, I was never convinced that he was a real Rams supporter and, dare I say, he was bit of a fraud

When Derby played well and/or won, Richards was a brilliant commentator who would exude passion, add to the enjoyment of the victory and - assuming you weren't there - draw you into the joy and excitement of winning. I enjoyed listening to him in these times and will often hark back to him being a great commentator for these moments.

When Derby played badly and/or lost - he was a grumpy curmudgeon who did an excellent impression of a B-stand wrist slasher. He would then fall into the trap 'fan' commentators do of being a fan and moaning and giving us his opinion on players and his judgement. I hated listening to him in these times and would shout at the radio for him, Hall and Gibson to stop being miserable, moaning old gits.

With my nostalgic rose coloured specs, my first reaction yesterday on hearing him come on the radio was "Proper commentator, legend" and all that.... then he started talking about how disappointed he was in how we'd played and I remembered how I used to scream at the radio. Listening to him, Hall and Gibbo is what started my lifelong dislike of local media.

So, if we only remember the commentary against Forest (which was class) then he's a legend and a Derby great (sort of). If we count longevity and being involved through thick and thin, then he is a legend. If we remember him being banned by Maxwell, then he's a legend... bit its tainted by the hours and hours of miserable, moaning diatribe ai had to put up with in my formative years.  

He is still better than Ed Dawes though.

39 minutes ago, LazloW said:

When Derby played well and/or won, Richards was a brilliant commentator who would exude passion, add to the enjoyment of the victory and - assuming you weren't there - draw you into the joy and excitement of winning. I enjoyed listening to him in these times and will often hark back to him being a great commentator for these moments.

When Derby played badly and/or lost - he was a grumpy curmudgeon who did an excellent impression of a B-stand wrist slasher. He would then fall into the trap 'fan' commentators do of being a fan and moaning and giving us his opinion on players and his judgement. I hated listening to him in these times and would shout at the radio for him, Hall and Gibson to stop being miserable, moaning old gits.

With my nostalgic rose coloured specs, my first reaction yesterday on hearing him come on the radio was "Proper commentator, legend" and all that.... then he started talking about how disappointed he was in how we'd played and I remembered how I used to scream at the radio. Listening to him, Hall and Gibbo is what started my lifelong dislike of local media.

So, if we only remember the commentary against Forest (which was class) then he's a legend and a Derby great (sort of). If we count longevity and being involved through thick and thin, then he is a legend. If we remember him being banned by Maxwell, then he's a legend... bit its tainted by the hours and hours of miserable, moaning diatribe ai had to put up with in my formative years.  

Spot on

1 hour ago, Purpleram said:

IMO Richards was the driving force in turning a big chunk of Derby fans into the whinging, never happy bunch they are.

He was a miserable, mean spirited waste of space. 

He did more than most to aid and abet the removal of Maxwell.

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

But for a Derby fan listening to a Derby commentary isn't that really what we want? To increase the excitement of a victory, be it deserved or lucky, and to wallow in dispair when lose blaming all and sundry for that loss? He just did it on a much grander scale and with more eloquence. For me he was, and will always be the voice of Derby County. A true legend. A Craig Rammage but with class (I like Rammage too). But that's my opinion and others obviously have theirs.

Archived