Graham Richards

silhillian

I always remember his commentary on the game v the Dirties in the 1980's when we beat them 2-1 to gain promotion back to the top flight. 'A goal of exquisite construction' was his phrase to describe Micklewhite's fantastic cross for Bobby Davison to nod in the second......great memories and Radio Derby have never really replaced him.....

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Ian Hall was actually an ex Ram. He had more success playing cricket for Derbyshire but played for the Rams from 1959 until 1962, and afterwards for Mansfield. He played for Derbyshire from 1959 until 1972. But you're right, he voice was boring (although it may be that he appeared that way alongside Graham Richards)

I found Hall as interesting as I found Richards' entertaining. I loved Hall's summaries and his reading of the game, he called it so well, and he would go to the press conference of the opposing manager after a game and then interpret what the opposing manager thought of the game, I wish @OwenB87 and crew still did that.

Hall gets bad judgement because of the way he spoke, well that's ridiculous singling someone out cos of tone and accent. Sign of a lack of intelligence if you cannot get past vocals to the content.

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

There's some good posts on here about how great Richards is but the threads become a little bit ruined by the attacks on Dawes as a bully IMO.

Ramage is a grown man with a successful career. I'm quite sure he doesn't need people taking offence on his behalf. Ramage and Dawes have a professional and possibly friendly relationship with each other with its unique little quirks like any friendship. I like them. I thought it was funny away at Bournemouth 14/15 when Dawes insinuated Ramage was boozing. If Ramage doesn't think it's funny then I'm sure he knows what to do.

I wouldn't say he bullies him, and I'm not offended by it.  It's just amateurish...

21 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

"Mister Maxwell be gone". Banned from the Baseball Ground and sued by Maxwell...............mind you Eddie, I think a dodgy life jacket did more to aid and abet the removal of Maxwell.

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I found Hall as interesting as I found Richards' entertaining. I loved Hall's summaries and his reading of the game, he called it so well, and he would go to the press conference of the opposing manager after a game and then interpret what the opposing manager thought of the game, I wish @OwenB87 and crew still did that.

Hall gets bad judgement because of the way he spoke, well that's ridiculous singling someone out cos of tone and accent. Sign of a lack of intelligence if you cannot get past vocals to the content.

On 30/10/2016 at 05:36, Doodle said:

Owen Bradley must be far better. About 15,000 of our fans have been leaving 5 minutes early this season 

Taken from the BBC press office web site.

"His unique style has contributed to BBC Radio Derby's Sportscene being a huge success. It's believed to be the most successful Saturday afternoon show in BBC Local Radio. Around half the radios switched on locally on a Saturday afternoon are tuned to the station's commentary."

Pick that one out of the net Owen Bradley!  :thumbsup:

Mostyn - That's actually not a bad idea, might start sending Ed to do that.

Spalding - I'm not the commentator so I'm not sure what that's got to do with me! :lol:

He used to make me laugh when he was being Grumpy. I remember listening to a V Man U commentary, we were giving a good account of ourselves and the sort of things he was saying about over paid young men with large houses in expensive parts Cheshire were so partisan you just had to laugh. He always seemed to have it for Darryl Powell "that was atrocious Darryl Powell" ... no he wasn't perfect but he is a part of so many peoples football lives and shared our triumphs and disasters. I don't want scientific analysis and precision, I want to be taken to the game .. Graham Richards could do that

Dawes and Ramage should really listen to 5 Live to see how it should be done. They are offering no better than a hospital radio service with their cliquey quips (most of which fall flat), constant overtalking (Dawes is forever interrupting Ramage even when nothing has happened), and Dawes' regular barbs against his colleague. It may be in good fun, but it doesn't sound that great week after week. I don't say they can't have a joke etc now and then....but it's overdone. I would rather hear more insight on the game and how it is developing than the latest on Craig's lawn. Shame because as a long distance supporter, I rely on RD/RamsPlayer for the away games and the home matches I can't get to. Maybe Richards and co would sound a bit dated now, but back in the day they gave a clear and involving description of the game. Not too much of that these days, RD bosses please take note.

Personally, I really enjoy Ed and Craig's commentary. I find their commentary exciting to listen to and I like their humour. So much better than most other local radio commentaries I've heard! Long may they continue!

Graham Richards was a legend too by the way.

24 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

Personally, I really enjoy Ed and Craig's commentary. I find their commentary exciting to listen to and I like their humour. So much better than most other local radio commentaries I've heard! Long may they continue!

Graham Richards was a legend too by the way.

Thanks for your input Mrs Ramage.

I think the problem is that the relationship between Ed and Craig is very banterous. They take the Mick out of each other, bit like @David and myself. 

Its bantz lads, it's two mates having a laugh, it's light hearted, you may not get commentary for every second of the game, but is something happening every second?

I think everyone who hates them and loves Graham need to respect the fact that times change, things move on, Ed Dawes is Derby fan through and through, personally I think he'd probably do it for free as he seems to enjoy it that much.

As for Craig, well, he seems to be another who's loving his job. Who wouldn't? Free travel to away games, possible over night stops, free entry to watch the team you love?

ok, it's a bit "matey" compared to Five Live, or Match of the Day, but who cares?  All I care about is when Derby score they show as much passion in their commentary as I do in my celebrations when I'm actually at the game.

keep calm and commentate on.

30 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I think the problem is that the relationship between Ed and Craig is very banterous. They take the Mick out of each other, bit like @David and myself. 

Its bantz lads, it's two mates having a laugh, it's light hearted, you may not get commentary for every second of the game, but is something happening every second?

I think everyone who hates them and loves Graham need to respect the fact that times change, things move on, Ed Dawes is Derby fan through and through, personally I think he'd probably do it for free as he seems to enjoy it that much.

As for Craig, well, he seems to be another who's loving his job. Who wouldn't? Free travel to away games, possible over night stops, free entry to watch the team you love?

ok, it's a bit "matey" compared to Five Live, or Match of the Day, but who cares?  All I care about is when Derby score they show as much passion in their commentary as I do in my celebrations when I'm actually at the game.

keep calm and commentate on.

It helps that he's a train spotter as well right?....I've seen you drooling over his steam engine pics before

17 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Why is it amateurish? It's unsanitised. Unusual for the BBC. 

It doesn't give a fair representation of the game and what's going on.  He appears to be ok when the balls in the centre of the pitch but once it gets the final third he just shouts, then when Rammage tries to add his two pence worth he gets talked over.

Saying that but it's nowhere near as bad as the Sheffield Weds commentary, found some extended highlights of Sat on Youtube and they're terrible.  Brian Laws can't string three words together...

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

It doesn't give a fair representation of the game and what's going on.  He appears to be ok when the balls in the centre of the pitch but once it gets the final third he just shouts, then when Rammage tries to add his two pence worth he gets talked over.

Saying that but it's nowhere near as bad as the Sheffield Weds commentary, found some extended highlights of Sat on Youtube and they're terrible.  Brian Laws can't string three words together...

Ah ok. I was meaning the banter between them specifically that some people are framing as Dawes bullying Ramage. 

Archived