Graham Richards

silhillian

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Ian Hall saying, in his miserable voice, " the linesman's got thin legs, I never trust a linesman with thin legs". I still find myself occasionally looking at the linesman's legs! Of course, they're now assistant referees so probably doesn't count any more!

8 minutes ago, archram said:

I remember Ian Hall saying, in his miserable voice, " the linesman's got thin legs, I never trust a linesman with thin legs". I still find myself occasionally looking at the linesman's legs! Of course, they're now assistant referees so probably doesn't count any more!

yeah, he judged a man's footballing prowess by the shape and bend of the leg.

I remember him talking about Bobby Robson (then about 70!) as having good footballer's legs. 

I thought Moxey had the same shape.

22 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I found Hall as interesting as I found Richards' entertaining. I loved Hall's summaries and his reading of the game, he called it so well, and he would go to the press conference of the opposing manager after a game and then interpret what the opposing manager thought of the game, I wish @OwenB87 and crew still did that.

Hall gets bad judgement because of the way he spoke, well that's ridiculous singling someone out cos of tone and accent. Sign of a lack of intelligence if you cannot get past vocals to the content.

I know Owen has responded on here but you are right @Mostyn6 I'd love to hear what the opposing manager had to say about the game and it was something Ian did well. Would have loved to have heard Carlos ranting about Keogh's volleyball on Saturday - he was still banging on about it 15 minutes later on the touchline!

The opinions in this thread just prove that, no matter who commentates and whatever manner they commentate in, there will be many who do like them and many who don't. Personally, I loved Graham Richards - massive part of football growing up, alongside Gibbo. I also like the completely different style of the new crowd. Times move on and things change - from Richards through to Dawes - all have done a cracking job in my opinion informing and enriching the life of a Rams fan! 

I am old enough to remember the Graham Richards commentaries and regularly tune in to RD for match commentaries now. While Ed Dawes get on my nerves at times, especially when he tries to humiliate Ramage, I like his passion for the Rams. I used to love Graham Richards but listening to him on Saturday I realised that he is from another generation of commentator and would probably sound very dated these days. It's a bit like when Bruce Forsyth was on Strictly - great entertainer back in the day but a bit embarrassing and old hat now. 

The great thing about Graham, and I've met him plenty of times, is that when you recount your favourite quotes and things he said, he can never remember saying them!

I was talking to him recently about the Palace 2-1 in 96 ("And Nigel Martyn knew the dummies in front of him had let him down", my personal fav) and while he can remember everything about the game, his commentary was so instinctive I think it's forgotten before the next sentence is out. Absolutely love the bloke.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 15:06, steve brummie said:

For anyone who thinks we might be exaggerating!

Fantastic memories, thanks for that. I was at both of the games at White Hart Lane in the late 80's, brilliant atmosphere when the Tin Man did the business....before that thug broke his leg that is.

38 minutes ago, Ninos said:

This is the same exact theme as your other 22,000 + must-read incisive posts but I really liked it. :ph34r:

I'm obviously too predictable.

Archived