Space travel

Ewe Ram

Yet again space travel or exploration is in the news. When this happens I get quite irritated. I really struggle to see the value in this. Countries invest millions of their money in various missions and I've never ever been convinced as to why they do it. What do they get out of it? What are they hoping to find? If they find something what can they do about it? 

Is there any of my money being wasted on this kind of activity?? 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

IMO it doesn't really matter whether we live on mars, Jupiter or in big spaceships. We'll destroy them eventually so waste of time trying.

I agree with eweram somewhat as I don't really see the point in spending loads on it but i do find it really fascinating.

Haha - ever the optimist! :)

I figure that seeing as we are almost certainly living in some sort of giant simulation, getting off this planet is the next level in the game. Otherwise what is the point of us even being here?

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

Yet again space travel or exploration is in the news. When this happens I get quite irritated. I really struggle to see the value in this. Countries invest millions of their money in various missions and I've never ever been convinced as to why they do it. What do they get out of it? What are they hoping to find? If they find something what can they do about it? 

Is there any of my money being wasted on this kind of activity?? 

Without the drive for space exploration, you wouldn't be reading this for a start. You would not have a mobile phone - unless you were within about 50 yards of a Hutchison 'rabbit' station, you would certainly have no GPS system, your frying pans would stick, if you ran a marathon you would not be able to keep warm/cool in a 'space blanket', your radial tyres would still be cross-ply, people would stll be building things by hand instead of using robots, you would still be using seaweed to determine if it was gong to rain, and fuel cells and solar power would still be a pipedream.

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

Without the drive for space exploration, you wouldn't be reading this for a start. You would not have a mobile phone - unless you were within about 50 yards of a Hutchison 'rabbit' station, you would certainly have no GPS system, your frying pans would stick, if you ran a marathon you would not be able to keep warm/cool in a 'space blanket', your radial tyres would still be cross-ply, people would stll be building things by hand instead of using robots, you would still be using seaweed to determine if it was gong to rain, and fuel cells and solar power would still be a pipedream.

Does all that really need space travel? 

I don't even understand what they go looking for when they disappear for sometimes years on end. They return with data but what do they do with it?

11 minutes ago, eddie said:

Fried food is bad for you tho right?

1 minute ago, Ewe Ram said:

Does all that really need space travel? 

I don't even understand what they go looking for when they disappear for sometimes years on end. They return with data but what do they do with it?

How the bloody hell would you have a GPS system without space travel? The clue is in the name - "Global Positioning Satellite".

Give me strength. Bloody Luddites.

add in weather patterns, climate science and so many other things. In the end it is the quest for knowledge. Instinctively that is part of an inbuilt survival mechanism. Consider the knowledge gained on the weather front and how many lives have been saved simply by being better able to predict the weather.

and of course where would we be without Nurse Chapel and Councilor Troy from the Enterprise 

Could hardly find a better way of spending money in my opinion. So much of our technological knowledge stems from our research into space travel and our desire to learn more about the universe in general.  Not that their even needs to be a practical end to justify space travel in my opinion. Like Max Planck said  'Scientific discovery and scientific knowledge have been achieved by those have gone in pursuit of it without any practical purpose whatsoever in view'.  With it we will broaden our knowledge, test the limits of what we can do, and what we can't do yet....and that can only be good for humanity.

Also, the money spent is this area hasn't just disappeared, it's stimulates growth in the technology/engineering field in a manner that can be beneficial in the long-term.   Furthermore, taking the International Space Station as an example, Space travel seems to be one of the few areas where different nations seem happy and willing to work together to the benefit of humanity as a whole.

If ever country converted some of military budget (I'm looking at you in particular, US) and dedicated it instead to scientific research, such as space travel, the world would be a much better place IMO. 

Archived