Thank you Nigel Pearson

JaguarRam

I think we should wait until everything has come out in the wash about his departure before thanking him imo... who knows what he's done...

I should hope it's nothing dreadful and we can thank him for his, somewhat dreadful, efforts and move on. I was one of those that was delighted with the appointment but how wrong was I?! I thought we'd get a real motivator to sort out our lax squad but instead we got a stubborn fool who wouldn't admit his mistakes and seemed to look to blame everyone but himself.

It has to be said that his reign must go down as one of the worst in Derby history, I genuinely fail to see how his has done this terribly, I'd hazard a guess quite a few on here would have done a better job!

But like any manager I'm sure he did try his best at the job and I'll agree with the OP that we should thank him for his efforts once/If we know the terms of his departure, it's all very strange at the moment- let's hope the rest of the season is better than the start!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 86 points said:

No need to be defensive bud. I mean that. I'm not digging you out and I think you're being soppy more than disingenous, but the moment I saw the post I figured you were going to get some flak for it. We've butted heads over Pearson but this ain't that fella!  Anyways, as you say, it's done now and it definitely is time for more positivity than we've seen of late. 

Yes I understand mate. Apologies. We agreed to disagree on a lot of the conversations about Pearson. ?

I really don't worry about the flak. I just say my piece and its up to others what they think. 

I thanked Wassall for what he did when he was in charge. Clough, McClaren, Clement also. I think it is only right whether I agreed with him or not to do the same for Pearson. 

I thank Pearson for proving the point that 433, with these players, is the best!!!!

And I thank him for demonstrating that Hughes and Bryson just don't work as a midfield 2.

I don't thank him for the "I told you so" posts we will suffer from Bris when our form continues to improve playing to this group of player's strengths.

46 minutes ago, 86 points said:

He was the architect of his own downfall. He's gone now so I think it's fair to offer opinions, fair or foul. At time of appointment, he seemed a viable option. The list of potential candidates was not an inspiring one and of that mottley crew I think he stood out. The likes of Brendan Rodgers were mooted but that kind of expectation was never realistic IMO. What I didn't take into account was the man's character and it was this that has ultimately led to his downfall as much as results on the pitch. He proved to be devisive on and off the pitch, even amongst the fanbase and you need to be a Brian Clough type of figure to survive that and he was not. Do I think he should have been given time? Absolutely, but then that is true of Wassall, Clement and McClaren.  I'd even have given Clough a little longer given what he'd achieved off the pitch but that's just me.

As to the future. I think any manager coming in needs to be given a sensible amount of time especailly if it is likely that he'll overhaul rather than tinker. It seems Chris Powell is in prime position and given his genuine passion for the club, I'd like to see him given a run rather than have yet another interim position which will only destabilise things further. He should be told the job is his to lose and given a chance to get inside the players' heads and to try to get them playing as a cohesive unit rather than a collective of unhappy individuals.

Equally critical (and again this is just my opinion) is that the fans support the team, even if there's no immediate improvement beyond the Cardiff game. Whoever takes over, we should also respect that fact that they have the stones to take the job on. Recent events will serve as a warning for some and the job will not be as appealing to everyone as some posters assume. Of all the candidates being bandied about, I think the man most likely to bring stability is Powell. I'd not want to see any manager jumping ship to join us because I want a manager to commit to and fulfil a contract, not get his head turned should he prove successful at Derby. If Chris is our guy than I'd hope we won't be seeing endless posts rubbishing his abilities before he's had a chance to show what he can do. That'd say more about us than him.

COYR.

A lot of sense,realism and a practical viewpoint,unless an exceptional manager is in line i think your post is spot on.Well said ,

Since the forum has continued to grow,pro rata more and more posts seem to be inept drivel of unrealistic proportion though everyone is entitled to an opinion.However 86 points think you are spot on.

37 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

Yes I understand mate. Apologies. We agreed to disagree on a lot of the conversations about Pearson. ?

I really don't worry about the flak. I just say my piece and its up to others what they think. 

I thanked Wassall for what he did when he was in charge. Clough, McClaren, Clement also. I think it is only right whether I agreed with him or not to do the same for Pearson. 

That's the spirit - we're all Derby after all!

7 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

A lot of sense,realism and a practical viewpoint,unless an exceptional manager is in line i think your post is spot on.Well said ,

Since the forum has continued to grow,pro rata more and more posts seem to be inept drivel of unrealistic proportion though everyone is entitled to an opinion.However 86 points think you are spot on.

Why thank you good sir.

1 hour ago, JaguarRam said:

As I have made it quite clear in previous posts I am not Nigel Pearson's biggest fan or a fan at all. I thought the results were poor and the football terrible. 

I do, however, think that if the Blackburn game was his last as manager that we should thank him for his contribution to the club in the short time he was here. 

Maybe with time (before whatever happened over the weekend) he could have been successful or maybe he wouldn't and he didn't fit  in with the way we play. 

Either way he, without doubt, put tremendous effort and managed the team in the way he thought best and has been successful previously.

Which ever side of the fence you are on we should wish him all the best in his future career. 

Are you a professional obituary writer? Still haven't figured out yet whether this is tongue in cheek or not.

Archived