Derby fanzine

Tony Le Mesmer

Anyone know if Derby have a printed fanzine doing the rounds? I know they're a bit old hat now what with t'internet and stuff but I used to love buying different clubs fanzines when I was a bit younger.

I know a few clubs still do them and i was involved in Highway to Hele the reinvented Torquay United fanzine so would anyone be interested in contributing material if there currently isn't one and could possibly get a few trial copies knocked out in the future and see how it went.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Anyone know if Derby have a printed fanzine doing the rounds? I know they're a bit old hat now what with t'internet and stuff but I used to love buying different clubs fanzines when I was a bit younger.

I know a few clubs still do them and i was involved in Highway to Hele the reinvented Torquay United fanzine so would anyone be interested in contributing material if there currently isn't one and could possibly get a few trial copies knocked out in the future and see how it went.

Think they are on sale in The Ramtique before the game...

There was talk on here maybe around 18 months, 2 years ago of bringing back The Baseball Bat fanzine with someone looking for contributors on here. I exchanged a few emails but then got distracted by life and the replies kind of stopped.

I don't go to the games anywhere near often enough now to be able to contribute anything of value, but there were at least 5 or 6 regular posters on here that were into a revival then.

In the meantime, for a fanzine fix on general football matters, try STAND. Good moaning in there, although I haven't bought that for about 6 months now...

I know for a fact that printed fanzines are holding up well at some clubs lower down the food chain as it were but looks like Boycie's photo hits the nail on the head. I guess it's more of a cult thing now which takes a lot more organisation and sorting out than say an internet fanzine site and so they've nearly become obsolete.

It's a shame. I've had a few posters offering some input for which I thank them greatly but judging by the response on here as a small sample of Derby fans maybe reflecting the opinions of the majority, it doesn't look viable.

In actual fact, with this in mind i'm surprised matchday programmes haven't yet been either done away with or digitalised.

About the programme. Does anyone know the person to contact if I want to get involved in providing some material for the programme or do they not allow this at Derby as it's a big club? By and large the programme is excellent but the kids section is amongst the worst ,most pointless and least stimulating I think I've ever seen at any club for quite some time. I'd like to help with this and submit ideas and quizzes / features for kids to get involved in if it would be ok? Not sure if it would but I can ask.

I would ask if I were you, @Tony Le Mesmer. The current content is banal and needs a shake-up imo. There will be a contact name in there if you buy them (I gave up!) or you can ask Jed @SLO_DCFC .

@The 1884 Group has a website and they have been asking for match reports on twitter - if you fancy that it would be good to read something a bit different, albeit online. Maybe they would extend this to include some more reflective pieces if someone was offering. ;)

8 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I know for a fact that printed fanzines are holding up well at some clubs lower down the food chain as it were but looks like Boycie's photo hits the nail on the head. I guess it's more of a cult thing now which takes a lot more organisation and sorting out than say an internet fanzine site and so they've nearly become obsolete.

It's a shame. I've had a few posters offering some input for which I thank them greatly but judging by the response on here as a small sample of Derby fans maybe reflecting the opinions of the majority, it doesn't look viable.

In actual fact, with this in mind i'm surprised matchday programmes haven't yet been either done away with or digitalised.

About the programme. Does anyone know the person to contact if I want to get involved in providing some material for the programme or do they not allow this at Derby as it's a big club? By and large the programme is excellent but the kids section is amongst the worst ,most pointless and least stimulating I think I've ever seen at any club for quite some time. I'd like to help with this and submit ideas and quizzes / features for kids to get involved in if it would be ok? Not sure if it would but I can ask.

You need the supporters liason officer, Jed Buxton.

You could try a PM on here, at @SLO_DCFC, even if he can't help you he'll point you in the right direction, I'm sure.

You can get the programme in a digital version btw.

It sometimes takes an outsiders perspective to point out what could be done better, good luck.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

You could try a PM on here, at @SLO_DCFC, even if he can't help you he'll point you in the right direction, I'm sure.

It sometimes takes an outsiders perspective to point out what could be done better, good luck.

Great minds....or just stating the obvious? :D

9 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'm no outsider. Six home games man and boy! Well.............man anyway. ;)

Thanks angieram and revel for your advice. The match reports thing is not something i'm particularly good at. Having aspergers traits i'm great with stats and names of grounds, players names and pointless facts about clubs and stuff but not really savvy about line ups, systems, tactics and all the intricacies of a game. I just sit there, notice those who run a bit more and hope we play well and score. The rest is just too much to process in 90 minutes. :p I'm surprised though they need reporters as it's something loads of fans like doing. Plus it's on twitter. Not a chance.

As for the kids section in the programme. I think as I've brought my kid up as the primary carer since she was born and also having sometimes childish traits myself it actually was actually one of the first things that I noticed as I looked through the first one I bought v Brighton and since then they've not improved at all. I write childrens books too so love to try and come up with ideas to get kids interacting and interested even more in the thing they are involved with. In this case Derby County FC.

On the face of it, a couple of pages of programme filler for youngsters could be readily passed over by most but if it's going to be put in there then may as well make the effort and that's my philosophy anyway.

To balance the argument I think Derby County as a football club do so much for youngsters, far more than I expected and far more than every club i've been to, researched and been involved with. Admittedly not many of these have been Championship or above but you can't really give the club any more credit for what they do for kids and getting them involved with the club.

Right, i'm off for a pint.

I edit and write for Derby County Memories, a quarterly fanzine that focuses on the history of the Rams with an emphasis on memorabilia. We've been going since June 2013 and are currently on issue 14 with the latest edition featuring articles on Derby v Sunderland, testimonial matches from the 70s and Baseball Ground European friendlies. Previous issues contain articles such as Derby in Nazi Germany, the Clough/Taylor protest movement, tours to Africa and the Middle East and Biri (remember him?!). Regular contributors are Andy Ellis, the Derby County historian, and David Moore, who until this season had written articles in the official programme for over 20 years.

There are not many similar publications for other clubs, the Sunderland Collector being the closest to what we do. The magazine is not a commercial venture and any profit made after costs are covered will be donated to charity (unfortunately yet to happen!). We're always looking to expand our reader base as we know most fans appreciate reading about the history of our club.   

All issues are available on eBay, the latest issue here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291870249787 at £3 including post and back copies here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291862849372 at £2 each including post.

Archived