Holiday in Lake District

Inglorius

One of my mates has quite kindly lent me their holiday apartment in Ambleside for half term week in October, have never been to the Lake District before so was looking for suggestions how to spend my time up there? Am going with my partner and their 8 year old so any Withnail and I/ Uncle Monty suggestions will probably not be appropriate.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

One of my mates has quite kindly lent me their holiday apartment in Ambleside for half term week in October, have never been to the Lake District before so was looking for suggestions how to spend my time up there? Am going with my partner and their 8 year old so any Withnail and I/ Uncle Monty suggestions will probably not be appropriate.

You can walk over the top of wansfell Pike from a footpath that starts next to the river in ambleside centre and ends up at Troutbeck which has the excellent Mortal Man pub. You can then walk back frond the southern edge of the hill with lake views. 

13 minutes ago, sage said:

You can walk over the top of wansfell Pike from a footpath that starts next to the river in ambleside centre and ends up at Troutbeck which has the excellent Mortal Man pub. You can then walk back frond the southern edge of the hill with lake views. 

Thankyou ?

We stayed in Bowness in Windermere in August. It was our first time up there and we loved it. Was amazed by how popular the area is with Chines visitors but it should be a little quieter when you go.

We took the ferry to Ambleside and had a great meal in the mustardy coloured pub in the picture a few posts above this.

It's a bit on the dear side eating out, I remember being charged 15 quid for a burger and chips at a pub in Grassmere where Wordsworth is buried, 40 quid at the chip shop in Bowness for 4 of us having nothing special but hey, we were on holiday so I just coughed up

I would defiantly go back and check out other areas, absolutely beautiful scenery, hope you have a good time.

Thought I'd bump this, as I'm close to finishing a week's holiday near Kendal. We're planning on doing the Bowness to Ambleside cruise today. As EHRam mentions, Bowness seems to attract Chinese/Japanese (and goose excrement) like a magnet, and it's still manically busy in late September, as is Ambleside.

Tip. Start collecting 20p peices NOW, as you'll need them for the Pulbic Conveniences, both men and women.

The car parks at the main visitor places are generally pay on exit. Summat scans your number plate on entry. When you leave, you tap in your number plate and it tells you how much you've been ripped off/charged. You can pay by credit card to ease the pain.

We mainly self-caterered, being mean old crinklies, so can't really comment on cost of living/eating/drinking (but then, we didn't get our apartment for free, you lucky sod!)

One attraction that may appeal to the young 'un was the Kendal Museum of Lakeland life (not to be confused with the Kendal Museum). http://www.lakelandmuseum.org.uk/about-museum

Difficult to navigate to, due to the one-way systems. Use a sat-nav and go to LA9 5AL. Drive through the council car park, into the museums car park behind.

It's really a series of rooms furnished how they would have been in the late(ish) Victorian era. Brought back memories of my old grannie's house. She was born 1884, and was very old fashioned. It really is how they lived. Another interesting feature was the old Chemist's shop on the 'Victorian street, which had been moved in it's entirety(?) to the museum. (it was owned by one of my wife's ancestors, and carries her maiden name). Closed on Sundays though.

The weather's been great, only rained one night, not too hot, and nice and fresh.

Enjoy. Lovely, lovely part of the country, and that's from a lad from N. Derbyshire.

The thing you mentioned about Japanese tourists made me laugh Phoenix as I had an 'experience' when I was on holiday up there about 6 years ago. We'd had a day out in and around Kendal and it was getting quite late. Not so far away along some country lanes is a stone circle called Castlerigg. The stones are in a really picturesque setting surrounded by views of hills.

Anyway, we parked up in a lay by and made our way around the circles in the field opposite. Perfect silence and solitude as the night was drawing in. Beautiful. About 10 minutes later hundreds of Japanese tourists came from absolutely nowhere and swamped the place. There were camera lights flashing all over the shop and we just left. Couldn't be doing with that.

Bizarre.

Archived