The whining about Pearson thread

cheron85

1 minute ago, babylon said:

You've bottled it every single year., ever considered your squad isn't all that?

What was Pearson doing in the seasons where you failed to get promoted then? I guess one man's bottling is another man's building.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, babylon said:

You've bottled it every single year., ever considered your squad isn't all that?

You thought these wonderful passers you THINK you have, have other weaknesses in their game meaning you will forever capitulate and are never capable of being consistent?

Outside looking in you always looked weak mentally and weak on the field when it really mattered.

Yeh this is the general consensus... You aren't giving us anything new here...

And that's exactly what we're saying... The talent is there... On our day we will rip anyone in this league apart at the seams... We need someone who can come in and get the best out of those players...

Not every clubs plays like you do... And quite a lot of them have seen success... Just because you've won the Premier League doesn't mean your way of playing is the be all and end all of football... 

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh this is the general consensus... You aren't giving us anything new here...

And that's exactly what we're saying... The talent is there... On our day we will rip anyone in this league apart at the seams... We need someone who can come in and get the best out of those players...

Not every clubs plays like you do... And quite a lot of them have seen success... Just because you've won the Premier League doesn't mean your way of playing is the be all and end all of football... 

Yes others clubs have been a success... you aren't one of them. The fact you play well in some games but can't in others suggests issues does it not. What if those issues are with the players and not the manager?

Nobody is saying you have to play just like we did, you seem to make out Pearson doesn't like footballers. It's absolute nonsense, if they are also team players and people who put the effort in they will play and he'll let them play their football.

2 minutes ago, babylon said:

Yes others clubs have been a success... you aren't one of them. The fact you play well in some games but can't in others suggests issues does it not. What if those issues are with the players and not the manager?

Then we should be getting a manager who can correct those problems... That's kinda the whole point...

Do you guys think you would have won the league last year with Pearson in charge? Or was it a different manager who managed to get something a little extra out of basically the same group of players?

Because that's what we need... Not a "scrap it all and start again" approach... 

Just now, cheron85 said:

Then we should be getting a manager who can correct those problems... That's kinda the whole point...

Do you guys think you would have won the league last year with Pearson in charge? Or was it a different manager who managed to get something a little extra out of basically the same group of players?

Well we were doing pretty well the end of the season before with title winning form in the "great escape". The squad / team we started under Ranieri barely compares to the one Pearson had to start with. Ranieri had the benefit of Okazaki, Fuchs, Huth, better squad players and most importantly one Kanté, who was my player of the year.

Yes Ranieri changed a few things, but we'll never know if Pearson would have also. He was already on his way to fixing many of our issues with the signings we made that summer. Ranieri didn't walk in and make a team Pearson struggled with brilliant. He benefited from Pearson's season when he was finding out who was / wasn't good enough for a higher league and where our issues lay. Buying NEW players was a large part of us moving forward once we survived and not standing still.

We've had plenty of players who could do it one week and not the next. That's often what defines players, how consistently they can perform.

You need to accept that sometimes you need new players.

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Pearson is a martyr to the Leicester fans. He was always going to be after the way he was sacked. If they had a bad season it would've been down to the new man not being up to Pearson's level, If they had a good season (or indeed a brilliant season) it would be down to Pearson's club building skills. I don't particularly blame them for that. Any fanbase would react the same, but it is quite annoying when the missionaries from the church of Pearson attempt to proselytise us Godless heathens.

7 minutes ago, babylon said:

Well we were doing pretty well the end of the season before with title winning form in the "great escape". The squad / team we started under Ranieri barely compares to the one Pearson had to start with. Ranieri had the benefit of Okazaki, Fuchs, Huth, better squad players and most importantly one Kanté, who was my player of the year.

Yes Ranieri changed a few things, but we'll never know if Pearson would have also. He was already on his way to fixing many of our issues with the signings we made that summer. Ranieri didn't walk in and make a team Pearson struggled with brilliant. He benefited from Pearson's season when he was finding out who was / wasn't good enough for a higher league and where our issues lay. Buying NEW players was a large part of us moving forward once we survived and not standing still.

We've had plenty of players who could do it one week and not the next. That's often what defines players, how consistently they can perform.

You need to accept that sometimes you need new players.

I get that saying anything bad about Pearson would be like you bad-mouthing Dave Mackay to us... But not every manager is suited to every place... Ask Leeds fans about Brian Clough...

If you honestly believe Pearson would also have won you the league then fair enough... From the outside it looked like he laid the foundations for a decent team and Ranieri came in and raised the bar... But you're right... We can never know that...

A lot of people have quoted the tail end of Pearson's reign at Leicester as the reason he'd have been great... But as you and we both know there is a world of difference between a sustained push for the top of the table vs a late scrapping for your life finish the the season at the bottom end... The mentality of the players is different and the type of manager who perfects the 'great escape' over 10 games isn't usually the manager who wins titles...

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I get that saying anything bad about Pearson would be like you bad-mouthing Dave Mackay to us... But not every manager is suited to every place... Ask Leeds fans about Brian Clough...

If you honestly believe Pearson would also have won you the league then fair enough... From the outside it looked like he laid the foundations for a decent team and Ranieri came in and raised the bar... But you're right... We can never know that...

A lot of people have quoted the tail end of Pearson's reign at Leicester as the reason he'd have been great... But as you and we both know there is a world of difference between a sustained push for the top of the table vs a late scrapping for your life finish the the season at the bottom end... The mentality of the players is different and the type of manager who perfects the 'great escape' over 10 games isn't usually the manager who wins titles...

Pearson has won two titles for Leicester for the record.

I'm been critical of Pearson on here, if you search out my posts from around the time he was rumoured I think I layed out a few issues. The bloke isn't perfect by a long shot.

But a lot of what you painted about him and Leicester just isn't true, that's what I'm addressing.

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

So what about a group of players who clearly struggle when things get tough? Maybe, just maybe Pearson is the man to get these players past that point with a few additions. Building a team doesn't have to mean a whole new squad, it can mean building a mental strength, building a resilience, a togetherness that isn't just being good mates.

I know somebody who has posters on his bedroom waaaaaaalll.

So we're wrong. Put Martin, Hughes back on the bench, Butterfield on the left, get Bryson deeper, Blackman on the right and totally right footed Baird at LB so he can pass to Shackell all day and Tom Ince in the middle.

Why?

Well because Nigel Pearson won the Championship with Leicester. In his 3rd season. But they deffo didn't bottle it before that.Not like us. Their players were always good enough. Ours are crap. 

So yeah, if Nigel plays Ince in the middle and Butterfield or Johnson on the left again you just need to remember that it was stuff like this that won Leicester promotion. Danny Drinkwater was a goalkeeper and Wes Morgan a winger until Pearson got there. 

Weird though how when he put players in roles that play to their strengths that we won.

I don't geddit. Must be a fluke. 

Call Leicester City and ask them if they approve 

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

So what about a group of players who clearly struggle when things get tough? Maybe, just maybe Pearson is the man to get these players past that point with a few additions. Building a team doesn't have to mean a whole new squad, it can mean building a mental strength, building a resilience, a togetherness that isn't just being good mates.

That's the way I'm looking at it.

When he signed for you I said to start with he'll focus on the basics, trying to tighten you up, get people working hard. He's been unfairly painted as that's all he is though.

When the basics are there, it then gives you a platform to build on, to play an expansive passing game but with whilst also being resilient and hard working.

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I know somebody who has posters on his bedroom waaaaaaalll.

So we're wrong. Put Martin, Hughes back on the bench, Butterfield on the left, get Bryson deeper, Blackman on the right and totally right footed Baird at LB so he can pass to Shackell all day and Tom Ince in the middle.

Why?

Well because Nigel Pearson won the Championship with Leicester. In his 3rd season. But they deffo didn't bottle it before that.Not like us. Their players were always good enough. Ours are crap. 

So yeah, if Nigel plays Ince in the middle and Butterfield or Johnson on the left again you just need to remember that it was stuff like this that won Leicester promotion. Danny Drinkwater was a goalkeeper and Wes Morgan a winger until Pearson got there. 

Weird though how when he put players in roles that play to their strengths that we won.

I don't geddit. Must be a fluke. 

Call Leicester City and ask them if they approve 

Nobody has said he hasn't made mistakes here or with you already. He will do, perhaps if you'd prefer to actually read the points that were quoted and addressed you wouldn't waste your time on a stupid post like that.

1 minute ago, babylon said:

Nobody has said he hasn't made mistakes here or with you already. He will do, perhaps if you'd prefer to actually read the points that were quoted and addressed you wouldn't waste your time on a stupid post like that.

Sorry. I'll try to improve my standard for you. 

But you do know this whole moan about Pearson is because he did these bizarre things rather than work with what has been succesful for us after years of midtable?

That's the only moan we were having. That McClaren found our players strengths and Pearson needs to keep building on them. 

That's it. 

Not been slated for anything else. 

So what exactly have you come here to defend him from. Because in between talking about what he did at Leicester you were saying we weren't good as we think we are and that we need to do things his way? 

Which then makes my stupid post relevant, no? 

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But you do know this whole moan about Pearson is because he did these bizarre things rather than work with what has been succesful for us after years of midtable?

That's the only moan we were having. That McClaren found our players strengths and Pearson needs to keep building on them. 

That's it. 

Of course some people think that the 'bizarre things' he did have no explanation and the only way to go is be a SMac II.

Others find it bizzare but are willing to accept there might be a valid (but hidden to them) reason for it and perhaps some of the squad could do with a dismantle!

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Sorry. I'll try to improve my standard for you. 

That's it. 

Not been slated for anything else. 

So what exactly have you come here to defend him from. Because in between talking about what he did at Leicester you were saying we weren't good as we think we are and that we need to do things his way? 

Which then makes my stupid post relevant, no? 

I'll refer you to all my posts and the ones I quoted, there was a lot of rubbish about him and us. I'm not going to defend specific decisions, he made some stupid ones with us... but, what he did do was always get it right in the end.

What I would say is... "work with what has been successful", personally for me you don't seem to have been that much more successful. Is that enough? To be in the playoffs rather than midtable?

People keep going on about a  "Derby Way" (quite frankly something I was never aware of despite spending most seasons in the same division). The aeason we were promoted and you finished 3rd I think?? We had a 53.3% posession rate compared to your 53.7%... yet we're seemingly painted as some non passing kick and rushers and you guys Brazil 1970.

Apparently we were playing worse football than Burnley who had an amazing 49% posession and a pass success rate near the bottom of the table.

26 minutes ago, babylon said:

That's the way I'm looking at it.

When he signed for you I said to start with he'll focus on the basics, trying to tighten you up, get people working hard. He's been unfairly painted as that's all he is though.

When the basics are there, it then gives you a platform to build on, to play an expansive passing game but with whilst also being resilient and hard working.

Putting aside the fact that it's Pearson... Would you not worry if a guy came in to a team who made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years even though we had 3 different managers... And started making wholescale changes?

Especially if those changes included dropping your top scorer for the last 3 years and you best player? And then proceeded to play other player out of position just to fit in a formation he told everyone he 'wasn't necessarily going to play'?

Archived