Thoughts from a Half-Fan

Comrade 86

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Give him time Bob.  He's made some mistakes but for the right reasons IMO.  I've no doubt he cares deeply about the club and I'd be confident he won't make the same errors again.  

It's disappointment more than anything with him, not doubting he cares. Just want football club to be simple, no gimmicks, affordable and the club not to be in a bubble from the supporters. Like you say mistakes are made, hope he learns from them. Firmly believe we've got the right manager. 

Hope he lets him get on with it. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, 86 points said:

This is probably going to sound a bit daft but I have a theory that when things are tough, only the true supporters hang in there.  Under Stevie Mac we looked destined for higher reaches and perhaps a more fairweather fan base evolved. Just a theory, mind!

Definitely. It's natural I suppose. 

But for some reason even the more, need a better word, "loyal" supporters get a sniff of success and then they expect it. 

There's this underlying theme that Derby are a sleeping giant. But there's no reason to believe we aren't at our natural level. We've been here decades with the exception of Jim Smith. And that was only 5 years. Wigan! Who we consider small spent 9 years I think in the PL. Fulham too spent over a decade in the PL. 

Our last effort at being where we belong was abysmal. Total humiliation. So we should be enjoying this period we've had. Not slating our players.

Because these are the better times of being a Derby fan unless you're older and wiser. 

Like Leeds, every year they drum up their chances. Too big for this league. And people mock them. Yet what are we doing? And Newcastle, we all mock them. These are clubs that are more established top flight teams than us. Yet we mock them but boo our players for letting us down. 

Deluded

It almost hurts to disagree because the essence of what you say Alpha might be true . I say might because ...

On the other hand we do have a following of a worthy size that stays, good or bad. We have won the cup and the top league within living memory. We are a city, the home of Rolls Royce and the first National park in the country. We DO have a presence we are someone ... We aren't a holiday town from the south east of nowhere that had a good run once and punched above their weight, giving fans a false sense of place in the world.  ..

We may never be Arsenal or Manchester United but this city should never feel awkward or out of place if we ge to the top table, so forgive me .. Let's just ignore the boo boys and mockers and allow ourselves dream and cheer and, ok rage from time to time but in the right way. COYR

@Alpha and @jono - agree with elements of both posts.  I do think there's a core of Derby fans that are as staunch as any. The problem is that the self-entitled mob always seem to have the loudest voices. I also think that we could make a decent fist of surviving in the Premiership if we build from the ground up which it appears is exactly what we're trying to do.  My fear is the attitude of some of the less patient fans might derail that process. Many will say that we've been in transition for 3 years already but to my mind we're starting afresh now. The wheels came off!  By way of an example, Pearson may need a couple of seasons to change things up but will he be given that time if the fans turn on the club the way we saw with Clemence and Wassall? It's a shame but we seem to live in an era where some folk demand instant success.  To my mind, if we make it to the hallowed land and actually grab a foothold, it'll be all the sweeter for the wait. Would I take promotion this year? Of course! Am I prepared to wait. Definitely. If it never happens so be it, it's a sweet dream nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

@Alpha and @jono - agree with elements of both posts.  I do think there's a core of Derby fans that are as staunch as any. The problem is that the self-entitled mob always seem to have the loudest voices. I also think that we could make a decent fist of surviving in the Premiership if we build from the ground up which it appears is exactly what we're trying to do.  My fear is the attitude of some of the less patient fans might derail that process. Many will say that we've been in transition for 3 years already but to my mind we're starting afresh now. The wheels came off!  By way of an example, Pearson may need a couple of seasons to change things up but will he be given that time if the fans turn on the club the way we saw with Clemence and Wassall? It's a shame but we seem to live in an era where some folk demand instant success.  To my mind, if we make it to the hallowed land and actually grab a foothold, it'll be all the sweeter for the wait. Would I take promotion this year? Of course! Am I prepared to wait. Definitely. If it never happens so be it, it's a sweet dream nonetheless.

86 I am with you on that .. I would be upset if we didn't "hold station" considering our advantages, but it is a big leap to get to the Prem and for that to be sustainable but promotion as must ? .. No ... Desirable, dreamable .. Yes 

the only issue is the whole crazy financial thing ..  A single player and his salary can cost the entire annual sales turnover of a reasonably sized championship club .. How can you budget for that without either a massive gamble or owners with huge pockets .. It is this that feeds the instant gratification philosophy that we as fans get sucked in to almost by default. 

Anyway ... I am Ram and wherever the road goes I suppose I am on it with the one condition being that we aim to play in a sporting way with some flair and entertainment. Anything else is a bonus. 

Just now, jono said:

86 I am with you on that .. I would be upset if we didn't "hold station" considering our advantages, but it is a big leap to get to the Prem and for that to be sustainable but promotion as must ? .. No ... Desirable, dreamable .. Yes 

the only issue is the whole crazy financial thing ..  A single player and his salary can cost the entire annual sales turnover of a reasonably sized championship club .. How can you budget for that without either a massive gamble or owners with huge pockets .. It is this that feeds the instant gratification philosophy that we as fans get sucked in to almost by default. 

Anyway ... I am Ram and wherever the road goes I suppose I am on it with the one condition being that we aim to play in a sporting way with some flair and entertainment. Anything else is a bonus. 

Spot on Jono. I can't see how having single players earning £35k a week and upwards at championship clubs can be sustainable but then I've been banging that drum for ages now so what do I know! 

30,000 tickets for 20 odd games per year at £ 25 each add the programmes and you get to about 20 million a year

double it if you are lucky, for sponsorship and other activities and you end up with 40 million.

but if you have 12 people on 1 million a year wages and another 20 on 500k .. There can't be much left ! Madness 

Clough came in and did a great job of steadying the ship moving out players and bringing in bargains with the right attitude and rebuilt our team and club spirit,,,, macca came in and got those players playing more expansive football whilst riding the wave of that team spirit , we came close then somewhere some how we all lost our way ,, players and fans alike we all lost our way ,,, it's start again time ( don't mean rip out every player rebuild) the most vital and first cog in this is Mel Morris , he has the man at the helm who can and will rebuild that team spirit / club spirit ,, he is strong and football wise enough to do it ,,,,, Mel has to be every bit as strong and stand by him and us fans have to find our way again , never mind the debate over players affecting fans ,, it s about what we are as fans and we have lost our way , I've always been proud of us Derby fans and we need to get back to that 

On 12 August 2016 at 01:48, 86 points said:

I've been on this forum for a season or so now and I don't claim to have the encyclopaedic knowledge of many. I don't have a season ticket and only make half a dozen games a year these days so nor do I claim to know more than those who fork out hard-earned to support the team they love, home and away. Props to all of you. I don't pretend to understand better than the gaffer or the season ticket holders what formation we should play, nor can I claim to know who is capable of playing 'the right formation' whatever that might be. But this is what I think, for what it's worth.

• Chris Martin is a quality striker. He's proven in that he scores plenty and creates a good few too. Those who criticise him for being sulky when things don't go his way are missing the point. Why should we expect him to grin like an idiot when things are going wrong?  
  • Tom Ince has mad skills. He smiles plenty when we play well and as with Martin, I'd worry more if he wasn't grumpy when we don't.
  • In Olsson and Fozzy we have two of the best LBs in the Championship.
  • Bradley Johnson is not a bad player.  He's massively short on confidence and struggling badly but cheering when he's subbed doesn't help. Perhaps he'll never prosper at Derby but the vitriol directed at him is over the top. 
  • Keogh is a fighter and those who feel he 'always has a mistake in him' would do well to point out a defender who doesn't. When a striker makes a mistake it doesn't cost a goal. He's a heart on sleeve type of player and some of the bile directed at him on this forum must hurt.
  • Jeff Hendrick has not achieved what he should with his ability but he just might if we get behind him. His performances for Ireland show what he can do without the weight of expectation on his back.
  • Will Hughes is pure class.  I'd not swap him for any player in the division, biased or not. I genuinely believe he could play any position on the pitch so let's not assume he can't play in a 4-4-2 until proven otherwise. 
  • We did not overpay for Jacob Butterfield. After a tricky start where he looked a little overawed and a season where IMO he was massively underused, he's come out swinging. I respect that and have a hunch that he could silence the doubters in true style this year. Expect 8 to 10 goals from him this season if he's a regular starter.
  • Craig Bryson is not 'past it'. It's harder to get match fit as you get older but he just might show us the Bryson of old this season.
  • Nigel Pearson is not a fool. In weaker Championships we've been found out playing 4-3-3 so let's make up our minds.  Pretty football or promotion? Boro, Burnley and co have shown that expecting both might be unrealistic. To expect him to have the team flying in a 4-4-2 after pre-season and one game is just plain silly.
  • The team will play better if we get off their backs and support them rather than jumping on every mistake. Being hyper-critical does not and never will improve our performances on the pitch.
  • Mel Morris is a Godsend, end of.

Folk pitching FF, Chester, Kodija and Wells forget that Ince scored 11 in 18 games first season and that Martin has notched 52 goals in 3 seasons and cost us nothing, whilst Keogh, who has endured some properly low-rent abuse (likewise his wife), was our POTY and has stayed loyal nonetheless. While I would agree that the squad can be strengthened I feel that the existing roster with guidance and staunch support can give anyone in the division a game. I'm equally certain that self-entitled bitching will only create more pressure for a team that needs a bit of love. After the follies of last season we simply must be certain that anyone we bring in will add to the team. Equally, we should be sure that anyone we let go will not.

Big up you fellow Rams fans. 

COYR

That's possibly one of the best posts I've ever read on here.

The bit about Pearson, well somehow this team needs to evolve, doesn't mean ripping it up, somewhere though things have to change to get promotion, I trust Nigel to tinker with the squad and deliver. Mel is not a godsend, but his financial backing is. Just needs to use it wisely.

18 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Yeovil at home that season was a case in point, 0-2 down at half time, one by the Forest loanee who's name escapes me.

No booing, at half time the concourse chat was how we'd turn it round 2nd half.

What followed was special, us fans and those players as one relentless in pursuit of victory.

I have my doubts we could do it now, or indeed since.

There was a sense of invincibility that season.

1-0 down at half time against Blackpool but you KNEW we were still gonna batter them. 5-1 in the end. 

Archived