The Squad

Gritty

I put together the Derby squad by what I think are players primary and secondary position. Mainly just out of interest but also to see where we are overloaded and where - if you factor in expected departures - we are a bit bare (right back and no.10 should we decide to play a no.10)

I'd be interested in thoughts on if I've mis-allocated any players. We swapped our wingers around so much I lost track last season of their best position!

If attachment doesn't work I'll try and find a better way of showing it (did it in excel originally so trying to work out how to export)

dcfc.png

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good man.

Hope we don't see Jeff at DM though. I'd rather see him on the wing. Defending and building from the back aren't his strengths. 

I'd say almost anyone can play off Martin. Even Bent, they've had their moments when playing together (and we're not in desperation mode). Martin just loves neat lay offs, in and out etc 

44 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Looks good man.

Hope we don't see Jeff at DM though. I'd rather see him on the wing. Defending and building from the back aren't his strengths. 

I'd say almost anyone can play off Martin. Even Bent, they've had their moments when playing together (and we're not in desperation mode). Martin just loves neat lay offs, in and out etc 

Bent and Martin could be an interesting combo, I'd argue that you want Bent ahead of Martin making space for him with his movement. I'm not saying it would be the key to all success, but it could be a useful option should we need it. 

It's also hard to know how well they really link up as they have never really had a run of games together. 

44 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Looks good man.

Rather see Jeff in midfield of 2 with Hughesy. 

Ince has played far more on the right for us that the left. I'd say that is his primary position - although he pretty poor at it. 

Also, Hanson has played at centre back a lot for the U21s. I'd say he's too small for that role, but maybe worth listing is as a secondary position.

Impressive work though.

1 minute ago, The Rams 127 said:

Hasn't Alefe Santos been training with the first team for the last couple of days. Played right back for the u21s last season I think. Could be an option. He wouldn't have got a new contract if he had no chance of playing in the first team. 

Yes but that due the fact Christie and Baird are not back yet. 

Mason Bennett has really got to push on this year. Either he challenges for the first team or he is moved on to the lower leagues. I suspect he will get loaned out again. 

Plenty of depth in the squad and don't really see the point in any additions. Depends if we keep Will and Jeff but then we still have plenty of cover. 

Strikers wise we have plenty but the only concern is if Chris Martin has a long term injury or loss of form. 

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Given Santos has just been given a new contract he must be thought of as ready to be right back cover:

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/santos-new-contract-represents-a-great-opportunity-3172803.aspx

9 hours ago, Sammy1946 said:

I do not think so. Him and Rawson are training with u21 team while Max Lowe is with the first one.

9 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

No mate he's playing for under 21 not first team. 

9 hours ago, The Rams 127 said:

Hasn't Alefe Santos been training with the first team for the last couple of days. Played right back for the u21s last season I think. Could be an option. He wouldn't have got a new contract if he had no chance of playing in the first team. 

9 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Yes but that due the fact Christie and Baird are not back yet. 

It's quie possible DEL and Sammy are right, but it doesn't seem to make any sense. Why give an overage player a new contract purely so he will take one of the precious three over-21 places in the youth team, in doing so blocking the promising England youth internation RB Stabana coming through.

When it comes to youth players, as we saw with the ditching of the likes of Calero, there's no room for sentiment. And if the Santos decision was based on logic, the only conclusion is he's seen as in first team contention.

Archived