Who will emerge from the Academy this season?

Carl Sagan

Four of the current squad regulars began life in the Derby Academy (Grant, Hanson, Hendrick, Hughes). Who, if anyone, is most likely to join them from the U21s?

Jon Mitchell, Timi Elsnick and Callum Guy each at least managed an appearance in the league squad last season and Max Lowe also had a squad number but his unfortunate hamstring injury meant he missed out. But he's fit again now.

Kelle Roos has returned from playoff final success and promotion with Wimbledon and Farrend Rawson had a less successful second loan spell in the Championship with Rotherham.

Then, Alfie Santos (wingback) is already 21 but his contract was renewed last month suggesting the club must think he's close enough to keep on.

Charles Vernam has been strutting his stuff on loan this summer in the leagues of those giants of European football and conquerors of England, Iceland. Meanwhile, Offrande Zanzala was often the talk of the town last season. Apologies if I've missed other obvious candidates.

We know Mel is keen to see our young talent promoted through the ranks. I'm sure we also want to preserve our hard won U21 Premier League academy status. While emergency loans are now banned I don't know about "youth loans" and whether or not we're still able to send players out for first team experience.

I'm going to name Elsnick and Zanzala as most likely to... Still young and having missed a year, I reckon Lowe will need another season in the U21s.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure he'll make many appearances, but I reckon Elsnick will make the match day squad a fair few times, especially if we have injuries. He may even get a cup appearances or two, although after having a quick check of Leicester's starting 11's from the cup games in 2014/15, after losing to Shrewsbury in the first round of the league cup, Pearson then chose close to their strongest team for every FA Cup match.

And if the Buxton rumours turn out to be true, I'd imagine Rawson will be involved as one of the two backup cbs to Keogh and Shackell.

Not hearing much about Farrend Rawson, which is odd when you consider that he's the only player in our academy system to break into a first team side - and in the same league as us on top of that.

We're a bit plugged up in that position, but surely if he's ever going to be a first-team Derby player, he has to be third or fourth choice CB heading into the new season?

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Then, Alfie Santos (wingback) is already 21 but his contract was renewed last month suggesting the club must think he's close enough to keep on.

3 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Alefe Santos is an odd one for me - the only time he's been anywhere near the full squad was the cup win against Reading in the 14/15 season.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on this situation... Same intake as the likes of Calero and Koblenz, and he's older than McDonald and Thomas and all of those were let go... Suggestion that they think he may be able to make the step up this year? Maybe a proper LM?

Who will emerge this season is a bit difficult. Will depend on the form and fitness of our squad really. Lowe and Rawson are at the front of the queue. Elsnik, Guy, Mitchell and Zanzala could see themselves involved quickly if others fall ahead of them (Guy has the largest pool of players to wade through).

I've no doubt all of them will break through eventually. If Elsnik breaks into the first team this season, then we'll have to start pinning hype tags to him (on top of the very prestigious "SaintRam's favourite"). Simply because he's still of the age to be playing in the U18s (18). Playing for the U21s in his first season with us (successfully, at 17) is already a key sign of his fast progress.

Archived